IGNORED

adding air Q...

I just checked the assembly manual and the owners manual, see below for what I found.

Assembly Manual:

M. Front Fork Adjustment

1.0 Elevate the front wheel by placing a suitable stand under the engine.

NOTE:

When checking and adjusting the air pressure there should be no weight on the front end of the motorcycle.

N. Rear Shock absorber adjustment

NOTE:

When checking and adjusting the air pressure there should be no weight on the rear end of the motorcycle.

Owners Manual

Adjusting the front fork

Adjust the spring rate as follows.

1. Place the vehicle on the side stand.

NOTE: When checking and adjusting the air pressure there should be no weight on the vehicle.

Adjusting the shock absorber assembly

This shock absorber assembly is equipped with an air valve for adjusting the spring rate.

NOTE: When checking and adjusting the air pressure there should be no weight on the vehicle.

Ater getting two different sets of instructions I was afraid to look at the maint manual, my life is complicated enough, I do not need to know if there is a third method. :starz:

I will say this, I am not a fan of setting the shock or the forks to 0 psi when the bike is on the side stand. My thought is if they are at 0 psi with the weight of the bike on them, if the shock of forks are ever extended, while riding or servicing there will be a potential for a slight negitive pressure to be created in the shock / fork. This could allow moist air to enter the air chamber.

I normally run 7 psi in the forks and 30 in the rear shock.

Weight on the suspension will affect the pressure, but the reality is that just the weight of the empty bike on the side stand is not going to cause a problem - ESPECIALLY with the rear single shock where the acceptable range is anywhere from 0-57 lbs. But if you check/adjust it when the bike is loaded up and with a passenger sitting on it, you will have a lot less air in it than you think (in other words, the pressure will be a lot higher when there is a lot of weight on the shock). So if you are on a trip and forgot to increase the rear shock pressure before you loaded the bike, your best bet is to grab the right side passenger grab rail and pull up good before you check the pressure.

Checking the forks could be a bit more problematic just because the air volume is so low and the acceptable max pressure is only 7 lbs. In my experience, the actual air pressure in the front forks on this bike does not make a huge difference in handling (I keep mine at 5 lbs - I weight 250), but making certain both forks are EXACTLY EQUAL does make a huge difference if you are trying to use a bit of skill in the twisties. If they are off at all, the bike will want to wander, and setting a line will be a constant fight. Because the volume of air is so small, you cannot even check the forks without a gauge with a zero-loss chuck such as the Progressive shock pump/gauge combo. If you have any doubts at all about if the air in the forks is equal, then just making sure both of them are ZERO is an excellent choice. Unlike the rear shock, where zero air is very uncomfortable to me, zero in the front is just fine.

Theoretically, the bike on the side stand could result in different pressures in the forks due to slight increase in weight on the left side, but to be honest, I have never thought about that before. Next time I am out at the bike (and think about it) I'll hook up the Progressive gauge to the left fork and then stand the bike up straight to see if the reading changes. Good question!

Goose

I just checked the assembly manual and the owners manual, see below for what I found.

Assembly Manual:

M. Front Fork Adjustment

NOTE:

When checking and adjusting the air pressure there should be no weight on the front end of the motorcycle.

N. Rear Shock absorber adjustment

NOTE:

When checking and adjusting the air pressure there should be no weight on the rear end of the motorcycle.

Owners Manual

Adjusting the front fork

Adjusting the shock absorber assembly

This shock absorber assembly is equipped with an air valve for adjusting the spring rate.

Ater getting two different sets of instructions I was afraid to look at the maint manual, my life is complicated enough, I do not need to know if there is a third method. :starz:

I will say this, I am not a fan of setting the shock or the forks to 0 psi when the bike is on the side stand. My thought is if they are at 0 psi with the weight of the bike on them, if the shock of forks are ever extended, while riding or servicing there will be a potential for a slight negitive pressure to be created in the shock / fork. This could allow moist air to enter the air chamber.

I normally run 7 psi in the forks and 30 in the rear shock.

Thanks for posting your findings. I've always adjusted my rear shocks with the bike on its sidestand and set it at 40 psi. For me, I also use a bike pump but it only takes about 2 to 3 pumps and the pressure will really get up there...so I am extra careful not to blow the shock. My fronts stay at 0 psi for now, simply because I do not have a Progressive Pump yet. The next time I place my bike up on the air, I'll make sure to add air on the rear shock this time around.

I'm now curious on the psi when I set the shock at 40 psi with the bike on the ground and check psi again with the rear tire up on the air. I am guessing, the difference is probably almost negligible and not significant.

• 4 months later...

Guess what, there seems to be some different information on this matter concerning placing air in both the front and rear shocks ie: PROCEDURE. I think the best thing to do is contact Yamaha and get it from the horses mouth so to speak. Anything wrong with that?? I have called Yamaha in the pass and always spoke to a maintenance rep and acquired Yamaha's recommended specks/procedures. One would think that this is a simple adjustment/procedure but I believe that there could be a large different of pressure in the cylinders if not done properly by Yamaha's recommendations. What do you think?? I will have them fax me their recommended procedures. Do not want to blow the seals. The front is very tight with 7lbs max. touchy! the rear is much more forgiving. :clap2: Dan:dancefool:

Well I took the time to put the bike up on the carbon one stands today and checked the pressure before, after and then on the ground again.. and found the pressure did not change..

To be sure I didn't have a pooched gauge, I drained some of the air and tried it again and it still remained relatively constant. This is using the 0-60 psi gauge. I set the shock up to 47 psi while it was off the ground and checked it again one more time when it was on the ground and it read 47 psi.

That's what I got out of it.. didn't seem to make a difference on or off the ground for the rear shock.. Unfortunately I can't check out the front shocks since they are now always at 0 psi with the progressive springs in them..

Cheers