IGNORED

Follow-up to motorcyclist killed in Indy in police crash

Mel

Report out late this afternoon--- blood alcohol level .19 for police officer.

Officer involved in fatal crash tested positive for alcohol

Posted: Aug 10, 2010 4:24 PM EDT Updated: Aug 10, 2010 6:04 PM EDT

http://wthr.images.worldnow.com/images/12957301_BG1.jpgEnlarge this picture

http://wthr.images.worldnow.com/images/12957301_BG2.jpgEnlarge this picture

Officer David Bisard

Indianapolis - The IMPD officer involved last week's fatal crash tested positive for alcohol, Eyewitness News has learned.

Investigators from Indianapolis Metro Police are working with the Marion County prosecutor's office on a possible probable cause affidavit concerning the officer who struck a group of motorcycles last Friday, killing one of them.

Officer David Bisard, 36, was on an emergency run with lights and sirens activated when he struck two motorcycles at the intersection of East 56th Street and Brendon Way.

Officer Bisard was transported to the Methodist Occupational Health Facility from the accident scene.

Bisard submitted to a blood draw to test his blood alcohol content, a standard procedure for any officer involved in an accident. Metro Police Chief Paul Ciesielski confirmed to Eyewitness News that Bisard tested positive for alcohol.

Eric Wells, 30, was killed in the crash. Two others, Mary Mills, 47, and Kurt Weekly, 44, remain hospitalized after suffering critical injuries. They were among four Defense Finance and Accounting Service employees who had gone out for lunch on motorcycles when they were struck.

Since the crash, Mills has been upgraded from critical to serious condition. Weekly remains in critical condition. Wells was laid to rest Tuesday.

Sources close to the investigation say accident investigators are working with personnel from the prosecutor's office on a possible probable cause in the case.

Meantime, Metro Police Chief Ciesielski reassigned Bisard to administrative duty during their investigation into the deadly crash.

Bisard has been involved in five other on-duty accidents in the past eight years. All were considered minor and did not involve injuries.

In June 2002, Bisard struck a fence, and in December 2003, he slid into a fence. In January 2004, a suspect's car struck Bisard's squad car. In September 2005, he struck a concrete retaining wall, and in August 2007, a suspect's car hit Bisard's squad car.

This story will be updated.

Related links:

One dead in northeast side crash with IMPD car

Friend of crash victims still looking for answers

Beat me to it Mel.

Without knowing the circumstancing causing the prior accidents, I can see a slide in Dec. (snow, etc...) I can even see suspects hitting his squad car, but to hit a concrete retaining wall and a fence??? Again w/out the circumstances but seems to be a pattern.

Don't think he should have been behind a wheel w/ the prior accidents. Unfortunately someone(s) has to live w/out a loved one and Bisard just has to live with his conscious. How unjust is that?

As fellow bikers we can not let the government sweep this under the rug as you know they will try. They will say some bull sh-- excuse to protect their own. If it was you and I we would already be jailed and arrested for vehicular manslaughter at the very least. I say a show of bikes in Indy is needed and I mean lots of bikes. This is crap that our government does it is time to put a stop to the power they have accumulated as we stood by.:Venture:

OK I am done now.

Don't know his background problems that caused him to consume alcohol, then get into a service vehicle to perform his job. But the union here and the city would go Ballistic.

From that One action there was an officer lost, his family is now not going to be missing the bread winner and father figure like the other Officer's family is...

He will most likely be dismissed from the force and after that it's all down hill.

So, from that one instance,one second; life as the instant "Two had met" everything changed..

This shows to us that this could have been, YOU.. Don't Drink And Drive..

Michael..:bobby::detective::mugshot::fishin:

Edited by mrich12000
More ranting

Watched the news video.

It is very sad.

One victim's atty was on there and is completely correct in his words. Had this been any member of the public, he/she would have been arrested immediately. There would be no "meeting with prosecutors" to decide what to do. The metro police dept is not handling this properly.

I am not a LEO nor have ever been, but I am in a high stress job. I know that officer had options available to him to address an alcohol problem and or stress. But being a cop does not give him a free pass.

This was posted with the news article!

http://cdn.js-kit.com/images/stars/admin-comment.png supportthefamilyhttp://cdn.js-kit.com/images/icon10-external-url.png

I am a family member to one of the victims of the accident involving the IMPD officer and the 3 motorcyclists. I have read the preliminary police report and I can tell you the cyclists were in NO WAY in the wrong. They did EXACTLY what the law required them to do. I have also been at the accident site and if you see it you will realize what really happened. With that said I just want to spread the word to anyone interested that there will be a rally in support of motorcyclists on Friday August, 13th starting at 7pm Downtown at Monument circle in Indianapolis. There will be a petition going around to help force the police to take the correct steps to make sure this case is handled properly and that it isn’t just get swept under the rug. If you would like to show your support please be sure to come by. We truly appreciate everyone’s kind words, thoughts, and prayers

The cop was totally in the wrong. He should know the law and the consequences of impaired driving better than someone not in law enforcement. This makes it obvious that he just didn't care.

His department is in the wrong for not taking action prior to this happening. With his record, it should have been apparent that he is a problem behind the wheel. They are also slow about prosecuting him, which is an insult to the public they're paid to protect.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw on the news that this officer will not face any drunk charges. Why? Because they say the BAC test was not administered properly.

YOU HAVE GO TO BE FRIGGIN KIDDING ME!!!!!!

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - A prosecutor has decided to drop drunken driving charges against an Indianapolis police officer accused in a crash that killed a motorcyclist because the blood test that showed the officer was drunk wasn't done properly.

Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi announced his decision Thursday after a judge ruled the blood test on Officer David Bisard couldn't be used to suspend his driver's license.

Bisard still faces three felony charges stemming from the Aug. 6 crash, including one of reckless homicide. Brizzi said he was confident Bisard could be prosecuted on those charges even without the blood test.

Bisard's cruiser crashed into two motorcycles stopped at an intersection, killing one man and injuring two other people. A test showed he had a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Edited by Jethroish

I am at a complete loss of words on this one. I think they said they have removed the investigator in charge for his position.

That being said, he should be in jail, awaiting trial for at least vehicular manslaughter. From what I remember hearing the other day, he is free to get behind the wheel again (for now).

They waited like 2 hours before he even got the blood drawn then and was over the legal limit. How drunk was he when the accident occurred and what in the world was an on duty officer doing drinking before 11:30 am?

I for one am disappointed in Brizzi.

There now appears to be a witness that saw this officer at a CVS purchasing a large bottle of liquor that morning, not sure of the time. News station reported that today, I believe. There were also some high-ranking officers demoted to Lieutenant.

This was posted with the news article!

http://cdn.js-kit.com/images/stars/admin-comment.png supportthefamilyhttp://cdn.js-kit.com/images/icon10-external-url.png

I am a family member to one of the victims of the accident involving the IMPD officer and the 3 motorcyclists. I have read the preliminary police report and I can tell you the cyclists were in NO WAY in the wrong. They did EXACTLY what the law required them to do. I have also been at the accident site and if you see it you will realize what really happened. With that said I just want to spread the word to anyone interested that there will be a rally in support of motorcyclists on Friday August, 13th starting at 7pm Downtown at Monument circle in Indianapolis. There will be a petition going around to help force the police to take the correct steps to make sure this case is handled properly and that it isn’t just get swept under the rug. If you would like to show your support please be sure to come by. We truly appreciate everyone’s kind words, thoughts, and prayers

Needs to be another rally because of the latest news.

As fellow bikers we can not let the government sweep this under the rug as you know they will try. They will say some bull sh-- excuse to protect their own. If it was you and I we would already be jailed and arrested for vehicular manslaughter at the very least. I say a show of bikes in Indy is needed and I mean lots of bikes. This is crap that our government does it is time to put a stop to the power they have accumulated as we stood by.:Venture:

OK I am done now.

Really? If they were going to sweep it under the rug, I would think they would have never released his B.A.C. to the public??