IGNORED

Do you grease your tongue?

SilvrT

no, this isn't a joke ... :rotf: but I figgured it would get somebody's attention :D

I'll admit I am not very experienced when it comes to towing a trailer so I got to wondering.... do you put grease in the trailer tongue where the tow ball goes or just leave it dry?

I grease mine, but I don't know if I should. Seems like metal-on-metal action wants grease... It's messy and seems to find my pants, so I'd rather not do it if someone can tell me authoritatively that the ball doesn't need grease.

Dave

I never grease mine. Hasn't hurt it yet.

Same here, I'll lube the mechanical portion of the retainer, but I have never put grease on the ball. I know some folks do, but unless your pulling a trailer on any vehicle 24/7 then I am doubting that it's an issue.

Started pulling Cyclemate trailer back in 1984 w/first gen, still pulling trailer not that one and yes I grease the ball on the bike, but I use vasoline it is not as messy as grease and comes out of clothing alot easy'er if you get it on you.

Bushwacker:scorched:

A greased ball will wear out faster than a dry one.

Think about this, What is grinding compound? Grinding compound is an abrasive (dirt) mixed with grease.

The grease being sticky will collect and hold any dirt kicked up by the bike tires and that dirt mixed with the grease makes an effective grinding compound.

I use a dry Teflon lube on all of my balls and couplers.

It does not get onto clothing once it is dry. (takes about 5 minutes to dry)

It does not hold any dust or dirt once dry.

It prevents squeaks.

It is waterproof so it will not wash off in the rain.

As a bonus I use it on the actions of all of my hunting guns.

The lube that I use is Remington Rem-DriLube.

Any dry Teflon based aerosol lube will work the same.

A greased ball will wear out faster than a dry one.

Think about this, What is grinding compound? Grinding compound is an abrasive (dirt) mixed with grease.

The grease being sticky will collect and hold any dirt kicked up by the bike tires and that dirt mixed with the grease makes an effective grinding compound.

I use a dry Teflon lube on all of my balls and couplers.

It does not get onto clothing once it is dry. (takes about 5 minutes to dry)

It does not hold any dust or dirt once dry.

It prevents squeaks.

It is waterproof so it will not wash off in the rain.

As a bonus I use it on the actions of all of my hunting guns.

The lube that I use is Remington Rem-DriLube.

Any dry Teflon based aerosol lube will work the same.

:thumbsup2:

I use a small amount of lithium grease in the beginning of the year

Just enough to stop the squeak ( drives me nuts )

To much then it is just messy

Up to the squeak I have never bothered with grease on my trailers.

:smile11:

DITTO for me. I do it to all my trailers and the beginning of the season each year.

balm x for the boys, and a litte lube for the reciever.the ball needs to stay dry so it will ground properly.

Since I am using a 5-wire, one of them is a ground directly to the bike. I wired the trailer that way so that every light is wired to the ground wire going to the bike.

You're going to think I'm out in left field on this one, but for years I have been using a thin piece of fine steel wool over the trailer ball. It keeps the coupler and the ball clean, free of rust and you'll always have a good ground.

When the steel wool wears out I use another thin piece. However, it does develop very fine scratches or a tarnish look on your chrome ball, but that doesn't really doesn't bother me any. :shock3:

do you put grease in the trailer tongue where the tow ball goes or just leave it dry?

I spray mine down with a good silicone spay everytime I pull a trailer and if I am on vacation I will give it another coat every couple of days. Keeps it slick but without the mess