IGNORED

wire welder

Eagle77

Anybody here have experience with wire welders? I am currently looking for a welder to use around our place. I just want something to use now and then for light duty repairs. I do want a welder that uses 115 volt. I see that you can buy welders that use flux core wire and they say no need for gas. Then others use gas. I don;t know enough about these to know which is best. Of course then you have the stick welders and I guess that is a whole different type.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Since I work for Lincoln Electric I have to say Lincoln is the best if you go with the SP100 series the ones at home depot you can use cored wire which is very convenient for most applications just have to get used to dragging like stick but if you want a cleaner weld you can change over to gas shielded very easy on the welders.:thumbsup:

Gene,

If your going to get a 110 volt welder make it a good one. Miller or Lincoln are your best bets, flux core is nice, but you have to keep the temp higher to get it to flow well. Wire and gas will give you a better precision weld and will run cooler so you can do more detailed welds. The nice thing about the newer welders is that you can run both Fluxcore and Wire/Gas with the same unit.

What exactly are you trying to do with it? An Arc welder is good for heavier gauge steels and takes a bit more practice. The Mig is pretty easy to catch on to for general welding. I have been welding for about 25 years now, certified in 7018 Arc. If you have other question PM me and we can chat, or I could do a road trip and give you some hands on.

I have a Lincoln ,I belive it is a sp-110 model, It works real well on light stuff, sheet metal and up to 1/8" ,it claims it will do 1/4",but i think you would be pushing your luck with that, but works just fine for exhaust and light duty stuff.

Thanks for the info. The 220 might be a better welder but I need something that works off 115. I will be looking a Lowes and Home depot and see what they have. Lincoln is well know for welding equipment. I looked on line at Harber Freight and also a Tractor Supply. I think its kind of you get what you pay for.

Squidly I will PM you shortly.1

Thanks

I've been thinking along the same lines lately, but looking at one for around $100-$115 bucks at Harbor Freight. I don't need something for $500 bucks that's maybe going to be used 1-2 times a year. Case in point. The ramp grate on my bike hauler is coming apart in a few places and I'd like to retack them again. Not a big deal. It would be kinda convienent to do it here rather than having to drag it down to the local muffler shop and get it done.... My 2¢

Thanks for the info. The 220 might be a better welder but I need something that works off 115. I will be looking a Lowes and Home depot and see what they have. Lincoln is well know for welding equipment. I looked on line at Harbor Freight and also a Tractor Supply. I think its kind of you get what you pay for.

Squidly I will PM you shortly.1

Thanks

Dont waste your money on the Harbor Freight, Miller or Lincoln. Looking forward to chatting with you

:thumbsup2:

Can't go wrong with a lincoln. In your search be aware not all units come with the gas kit, even if its the same model. Sometimes the two are almost the same price, so you may as well get the gas kit included.

I've got one of the 110V Lincoln's from Home Depot. It does about 95% of what I need to do around here. If I had it to do over, I would go with the 220V model. This one is fine for most of my needs but there have been a few times when I needed to weld 1/4" and thicker material. It will weld the 1/4" but you have to take it real slow and you will not get a nice looking weld. For most of what I do, the looks aren't that important so I have gotten by with it.

Miller and Lincoln are the two top names in welding, and it is for a reason.

I used to be a certified welder many many moons ago.

When I was looking for a welder for my home use I tried a couple of the flux core welders, I did not like them at all. I ended up getting a HTP welder, Not as big of a name as Miller or Lincoln but it is every bit as good. I have been using my HTP for 20 years and have not had to replace anything but the consumables.

I sold my stick welder just as soon as I got the MIG home.

What ever brand you get, gas is the way to go.

A 220 unit is the best to get, no doubt about it. You may find in the future that you like doing little things, and then when you need the penetration for that one bigger type job you need to fix, and the 110 just wont do it right. Like mentioned before the 110 unit is great for light quick things, but not strong enough something of any size. I don't think I would build a trailer, or repair a tongue with a 110 unit. You also want something with variable heat, and speed.

I have a 110 volt Century which has been bought out by one of the big name companies. It is at least 15 years old. I have built several trailers with it. Only a 20% duty cycle so you have to weld for a while and then cut for a while. I converted it to gas several years ago. It has done everything I have asked of it. Sits in a corner until that couple of times a year when I need it.

A big thanks to all. I appreciate all your thoughts on a welder. I will ponder on this and settle on something. At least I have a lot of good info to consider.

Thanks,

The 110 v has the advantage of being able to plug it in anywhere. The manual says it will weld up to 5/16th thick, it would be pushing it. I couldn't emagine welding anything that thick around the house.

I have a Snap-on 110 unit that will weld up to 3/16 with stitch and spot settings

welds excellent I bought it new in the early 80 for $1800. it has been a very good welder built lots of cars and building with it ( my shop) over the years

It will be for sale in the near future ($300) I am currently looking at a larger unit 220 volt

If you would be intrested in it I live in fort worth about 60 miles from you you can come by and run some wire through it

currently have .030 wire in it but also have some .023 if you want to try sheet metal

If you want a new one go with Miller , Lincoln, or Esad. by the largest you can afford.

The Miller 212 auto set is what I got for the school it is idiot proof just set one dial for the size of wire on the spool , the set the other dial for the thickness of steel and start welding the welder set everything else

Most of the welding I would do would be no thicker than 3/16. Most would be like 1/8 thick square tubing or flat metal.

If I had anything heaver to weld I think I would get a pro with a stick welde to do the job.

Most of the welding I would do would be no thicker than 3/16. Most would be like 1/8 thick square tubing or flat metal.

If I had anything heaver to weld I think I would get a pro with a stick welde to do the job.

like i said i have a miller 185 which will do just about anything you want to do. i also have a miller ac dc stick welder. i hardly ever use it any more, unless i am in the wind or the surface to be welded is'nt real clean. the nice thing about the mig is there is no slag. it makes a very clean weld compared to the stick welder. the wind will blow the shielding gas away on the mig, leaving a crappy weld, it's harder to get into tight places with the mig gun, you can weld aluminum with the mig if you get a spool gun and another pure argon tank. main thing is look into what you may do in the future so you don't come up short on a welder.