IGNORED

What do I put in here?

Hello Folks, I am assuming from the picture I have attached that the previous owner must have done the grease zerk mod for the drive shaft. However I have know idea what type of grease to use.

Also can someone tell me if the shim that the red arrow is pointing to in picture is stock for my 85 VR or is this some kind of MOD as well.

Thank you

[ATTACH]48702[/ATTACH]

That zerk fitting is factory, don't waste your time putting grease in there as it absolutely does NOTHING!. You need to pull the rear drive and the shaft to do it properly.

Ditto that.

I thought I was doing a good thing on my '85 by pumping grease into there....until after 2 years the splines on the pumpkin end disentegrated (the bike was over 15 yrs old by this time). When I took it apart, there was grease in the middle of the shaft but the splines on both ends were completely dry and the pumpkin end splines were all rusted and worn off to the point the shaft just spun freely. Clarification, it was the female spline on the pumpkin that was shot, not the spline on the driveshaft itself.... I was lucky to find a used pumpkin for $80 that was still in good shape. It would have cost me more to have the part replaced.

You may have a V-Max rear in there. Looks like the shim needed for it.

Ask Earl. Hey Skydoc!!

Looks like it might be a Vmax to me.

You can see where the shock bolt was cut off and ground down in right of picture.

Gary