IGNORED

Starter not catching

O.K. every time I look at fixing something I find more crap that was wrenched on by the previous owner that just pisses me off.

I have had several problems with the starter not catching. It will turn sometimes and sometimes it just spins and you can hear it clicking on the other gears like it is trying to catch. I figured I was going to have to look at a new starter or the spindle anyway.

So today I am trying to get the bike started after two weeks of straight rain, and it wont catch for nothing. I had a low battery to start with as it had been sitting for two weeks. So figured I would look at the starter. Well after 3 long and now drenched in coolant hours I managed to find the issue. Not only is one side of my radiator just hanging with NO SCREWS but the STARTER HAD NO SCREWS IN IT EITHER. WHAT THE *****.Well I tried to hold the starter in place while the wife hit the start switch but I am still getting a skip and grind going on. I looked at the starter and the splines are showing some wear but I do not think it would be enough to completely miss and free spin like it does. The gear inside the bike looks solid but I am not sure how much damage has been done since the BOLTS WERE MISSING. am hoping I do ont need to replace the gear in the engine. and the starter seams perfectly good it just shows slight signs of wear on the splines.

I am going to see what the local stealer is going to charge me for these bolts but if anyone out there has a few starter bolts or the bolts that hold the radiator to the frame I would appreciate you letting me know how much they would cost me plus shipping charges.

The splines just don't look like they are damages enough to miss.!?!?!:confused24:

http://www.rcspaducah.com/images/HPIM1086.jpg

Hi,

the Splines seems to be OK.

Your Problems seems to be the Starter Clutch. It was discussed many Times here, and if you start a Search, you will find anything what you need to know.

The Starter Clutch itself is behind the Flywheel. You need to undo the left front and rear Engine Cover and the Flywheel. Flywheel can be a real Challenge,

without a fitting Gear Puller almost impossible to do.

• 3 months later...

Well.... I finally got around to replacing the starter clutch parts. I made it through to the starter clutch with few road blocks thanks to GeorgeS and Muffinman.

I am a little concerned thought that the parts do not show the wear I was expecting. I have post pictures of the Spring cap followed by the Dowel pin and then the plate. I do not see enough damage to cause the starter to just constantly grind out.

Am I missing something, or should I be looking for something else that would cause the stripping sound and clatter on the starter gears?

http://www.rcspaducah.com/images/2008%20Jan%20287.jpg

http://www.rcspaducah.com/images/2008%20Jan%20288.jpg

http://www.rcspaducah.com/images/2008%20Jan%20295.jpg

I dont see a problem in your pics it may have been that they were stuck or the springs are weak.

How does the gears look?

Try also to turn the driven ring it will only turn one way if I am thinking right.If I have a spare flywheel out in the shop I will check my thinking.

Jeff

Well, as long as you have it dissassembleed, a complete new clutch assemble and all the small parts is less then $100. So my suggestion would to replace everything. Did you find any loose parts. If so, did you check the crankcase for loose metal ?

The cost of parts, is small compared to the work involved.

If there is not damage to the 72 tooth large gear I would not hesitate to reuse that.

The gears and flywheel look good. I am a little concerned that I went in the wrong direction and missed the real problem. I don't see anything wrong! I am afraid to put everything back together just to have the same problem, since I did not find anything that looked like it was causing a malfunction. The only thing I can think of is when the starter clutch assembly came off the spindle it fell to the floor as I was not expecting the weight. All three of the dowels, caps and springs fell out and onto the floor. I will try to make sense of it and put it back as the micro fiche shows. I just hope I did not waste my time and end up having to do a totally different fix.

Ok, so here it is as it was given to me.

The clutch operstes by binding those little rollers against a "ring".

All surfaces are smooth and very hard. As long as they (all components) stay this way they work very well; but, if they begin to wear or are allowed to skip a lot due to a bad battery or whatever else might cause it to skip. They begin to get minor imperfections on the surfaces. enough of these minor imperfectons and the rollers begin to jump over the ridges and cause the clutch to slip.

The imperfectione can be nearly impossible to detect but a close inspection will reveal them. Again, they are going to be very minor.

I went through this same trouble a while back, the start of mine i think was due to having a hard start problem and leting it skip trying to start it after the battery got weak.

O.K. I Thnk I found the issue!!!:cool10:

The CLutch it self. I was looking all around but not at it. ( My camera batterie just died so picture to follow later.) The clutch on the inside is cracked just like in GeorgeS post. I was just not looking on the right side for the damage. It also has some worn circle next to the edges of the hollows. Then wen looking closer I noticed the outer edge had a burr. Then I saw small holes from missing pieces of the jacket on the edges.

So I look up the part on Bike Bandit and it looks like they sell the whole clutch plate in an assembly with all the parts I just bought included with the same assembly. I am going to call them Monday and see what we can work out I am sure they will work with me.

Also, I am currious about a part in the assembly that I just don't see in my parts. In the picture at: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/yamaha-motorcycle-venture-royale-xvz12dw-1989/o/m7867

There is a part all the way to the right on the #7 assembly but it does not have a number. it follows after 10 - 9 - 8 then an un numbered part......well I do not see that part in my parts that came off the bike??:whistling:

Hopefully I am missing something obvious again....:confused24: Any ideas out there...

O.K. I Thnk I found the issue!!!:cool10:

Also, I am currious about a part in the assembly that I just don't see in my parts. In the picture at: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/yamaha-motorcycle-venture-royale-xvz12dw-1989/o/m7867

There is a part all the way to the right on the #7 assembly but it does not have a number. it follows after 10 - 9 - 8 then an un numbered part......well I do not see that part in my parts that came off the bike??:whistling:

Hopefully I am missing something obvious again....:confused24: Any ideas out there...

I think that they are held in place by pins, in the housing. They look to be plugs, to block off the outside of the spring holes, after machining was completed.

I think that they are held in place by pins, in the housing. They look to be plugs, to block off the outside of the spring holes, after machining was completed.

I second that Statement. These Plug are not sold seperate, and therefore they have no Number because they are Part of the big Ring which holds everything together.

As Fixit stated, i would take a very close Look at the 72 Tooth Gear. The Part were the Rollers have Contact with is the main Part of the Clutch and usually wear out. If there is any Damage or flat Spots it's time to replace the Gear.

You just NOT want to do this Job a second Time.

If you want to solve this Issue forever, send the Flywheel to http://www.pcwracing.net/featured.htm and let them do their Conversion. I'm not sure about what they do with the 72 tooth Wheel, they either Replace or Redo this, but you will have this solved forever.

I contacted Bikebandit by instant txt help. Dave was great. I found out that the Starter Clutch Assembly is all the parts I just bought, springs, caps, and dowels plus the added bonus of the clutch plate that I need. The only way to get the plate is to buy the assembly, which includes $36 in parts I already have. Dave said no problem he would note my account and he waived the 15 day return policy so I can return the parts and buy the assembly. The price is only shipping more than the local dealer. So I can't go wrong. Hopefully this will get me running again and with a few more bolts holding things together. I can't thank the guys here at VentureRider enough:bighug:

Thanks guys for all you do for us less informed brothers.