IGNORED

hard drive locked up

barend

I've been running AVG 9.0 free for about a month now but my Quickbooks started acting up. so in my infinite "wisdom" I figure I'd download PCSecurity shield2010, a program which I had paid for but due to repeated hard drive problems had not been re-installed (yet). So after installing this I ran a system scan; after 14-1/2 hours it still wasn't finished! Can't un install AVG; can't uninstall security shield; firefox won't open; outlook was acting up and after rebooting the ultimate insult, I can't get past the boot screen. i.e I cannot open it in safe mode. I do not want to re-format this thing AGAIN if at all possible.

I figure I can take it upstairs and throw it of the front porch and put it out of it's misery, but my company files are on there so maybe someone here has a better alternative???

Unless the hard drive itself has failed or your allocation table has been corrupted, all of your data should still be on the drive.

Get a second drive and format it, load your operating system etc. Put the original drive in as a second drive and transfer all of your business/personal data. Now you have a backup of all of your data. Maybe erase the anti-virus software???

Put the original drive back in alone and run the operating system recovery/repair and see if it will come back to life.

Good luck!

Dave

I would do that but a different way. Pull the HD out and put it in an external drive case. Put a new HD in the PC and install your OS and programs. Then attach the failing HD in the external HD case and copy what ever you can off of it. If its failing you may not get anything or you may get everything. Depends on if its heads at hitting the platters or its having speed/revolutions issues. Check the fans and heatsinks in the PC to be sure they are clean also.If the MB is losing the drive controller or having memory problems you'll have the same problem with a new HD when you try to install the OS

Thanks guys! I've had some minor success in that I tried "one more time" to reboot and it opened up. Everything is still slower then doo in winter, I've seen a number of "virtual memory low" warnings, I'm being bombarded with script running warnings especially with Firefox, I can't uninstall "securityshield" (the offending software) through windows cause "Windows installer services can not be accessed", I did manage to download the uninstall tool, but can't get it too run (maybe I'm too impatient, 30 minutes should do it I figure). So I am making progress:crackup::rotf:

The bigger question based on your suggestions. My routing and scheduling program is keyed to the system, move it to another 'puter or reformat and re-install requires a new password, apparently I have used up my allotted number of passwords for the next 6 months and I am told that I will either have to rent the program for that time or buy another license, either option runs in the hundreds. Yes I do own this program, If that is what you want to call it

Also, I have considered uninstalling Firefox and re-installing it to bypass the script errors so that maybe the uninstall tool would run. Assuming I can un-install would this work? Would I be correct in assuming that it would not solve any other damage? Is it "fixable" to avoid the rental fees on my routing program.

When the system is slower than doo in winter, is there a lot of hard drive access happening or is it just sitting like a lump o doo?

There is malware out there that will walk right past AVG and most other protection. What you are describing sounds exactly like what I had when I got some bugs from the company network. It took a couple of weeks to get mine cleaned up. There was one scan that took ~32 hours to run. It was very thorough but it found the offending malware not only on my computer but also on the other computers out on the network that were the cause of the problems.

It was only with the help of the gurus at www.bleepingcomputeres.com that I was able to avoid a reformat.

These guys had me into deep dark places of the puter, that I never even heard of, to clean out all of the bugs.

It is a possibility that you are infected, or it could be a hardware issue.

Try to download Malwarebytes and install it. Then open in safe mode and run it. It should take care of the issues, and then let you run your uninstaller.

The "program" you bought is causing you the issues, not your hard drive.

I agree with all the above posts due to the fact that it is a combination of all of the above plus the stuff others have written about. if the hard drive is getting full, like 90 % used space, it's time to delete some stuff or add another drive of some type cause this condition will cause problems that may look like another problem.

Like others on this site, that's what i do for my 40 hour weekly check. I used to have 6 or 7 pc's, but now I am down to 3 with one of them powered off as a standby.

Thanks for the feed back Gents! Here's how it came down, I did manage to get a hold of securityshields support people (in India), He was going to help me sort it all out looked around and showed me why I had a problem (he claimed), then had me re-start in safe mode which was absolutely useless due me using a wireless keyboard/mouse. From there it was off to when the last time I had the HD professionally serviced, then on to how I could take it to Best Buy and have this taken care of and winding up trying to sell me an annual service contract for $170with Best Buy. when i pointed out that he was going to help me solve my problem and that I was not going to buy a service contract he basically hung up on me. he was kind enough to download "SUPERAntiSpyware".

I basically took his hints as a guideline, dug up a 10 yr old wired keyboard and dumped AVG and securityshield from safe mode, ran his super spyware stuff and cleaned out some "minor" issues and upgraded that program to my new virus software since securityshield would not properly uninstall even with their uninstall tool. I'm back in business:happy65:

And I have an offer; I still have 355 days paid use out of Security shield, I have used it since 2008 with no problem, but they ticked me off and since it wouldn't let me re-install, I moved on (life's too short). So, if you want a free virus scan program for almost a year let me know, I'll send you the download link and the registration key. first come first serve!!

I had to do a double take, thought I was on the wrong web site. Didn't realize we talked computers here, only motor cycles. Ha.

this is the Watering Hole, a general discussion forum, so just about everything gets covered here.

there are specific forums for straight bike talk, though, if you wish.

I had to do a double take, thought I was on the wrong web site. Didn't realize we talked computers here, only motor cycles. Ha.

Just think, :stirthepot: if we don't keep the 'puters running, there would be no means to talk "scooters"!!! :stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke:

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Just think, :stirthepot: if we don't keep the 'puters running, there would be no means to talk "scooters"!!! :stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke:

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

The problem is some can't keep their scoots running, so how do you except them to keep their computers running :stirthepot::stirthepot::rasberry::rasberry:

My bike's running great:cool10:, but considering my 'puter problems this year, I wondered if I had to get a new screen name. "Crash and Burn" or something:depressed::doh:

Oh, I suppose I could take offense and start digging through threads to see what else is on the forum besides motorcycles, but it really wouldn't be worth my time:happy65::happy65:

I just had to get a new to me PC because of the same problem. Said low memory and to delete files. I ended up deleting almost everything and no space would free up. Then files started deleting on their own. Took PC to a very good computer shop 99Silver knows about and they found a virus that eats up all the memory in the hard drive. The more you delete the more the virus takes. When I didn't have anything more to delete the virus started deleting files on it's own. My PC was 9 years old and not worth the price of fixing it, so I bought one of theirs they built. They were able to save the files I had left and did me right. I don't know much about computers but thought I'd pass this along. Just got this PC 3 days ago and had been fighting the old one for months.