IGNORED

Spot Gps

plainmd

The SPOT is a handy little device that can actually save your life.

You can also set it up to display your adventure on Facebook or other social networking sites.

Transmits your location about every 10 minutes and allows others to follow online, your adventures, much fun.

I have a SPOT and used it to let friends and family follow our track on a two week trip that I just finished. It can be used to signal for help if you are outside cell phone area because it uses satellite communications. It is not a two-way communicator and it merely signals that you need help or it provides a means to send a preconfigured message text message or email to your contacts that you are OK.

Here is the track for my recent trip: http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=6473

For more info on SPOT go to www.findmespot.com

Dennis

I stopped by Cyclegadgets.com in Eureka Springs and picked up RAM mount for my SPOT. You could put it in your saddlebag but it needs a clear view of the sky to transmit. If you only used it for emergencies or just turned it on to transmit an OK message that would work. For route tracking you would need to leave it on and open to the sky because it wakes up and transmits your position every 10 minutes. For a while I had mine strapped to the luggage rack on the trunk.

Dennis

I stopped by Cyclegadgets.com in Eureka Springs and picked up RAM mount for my SPOT. You could put it in your saddlebag but it needs a clear view of the sky to transmit. If you only used it for emergencies or just turned it on to transmit an OK message that would work. For route tracking you would need to leave it on and open to the sky because it wakes up and transmits your position every 10 minutes. For a while I had mine strapped to the luggage rack on the trunk.

Dennis

Thanks!

As an alternative...

There is an application for the iPhone called IBCNU. It may be available for other phones. It costs $1.99. It is based on the ham radio APRS system. It uses the phone's data connection to post your position on the map based on it's gps location. You can set the position update rate based on distance or time. Here is their website. I used this most recently during the MS150 bicycle race. My wife was able to check my location on her computer or phone web browser anytime. It performed very well. I kept the phone in my pocket or in the tank bag. I plan to use this system while on my up coming 4200 mile solo road trip. Just a suggestion...:biker:

As an alternative...

There is an application for the iPhone called IBCNU. It may be available for other phones. It costs $1.99. It is based on the ham radio APRS system. It uses the phone's data connection to post your position on the map based on it's gps location. You can set the position update rate based on distance or time. Here is their website. I used this most recently during the MS150 bicycle race. My wife was able to check my location on her computer or phone web browser anytime. It performed very well. I kept the phone in my pocket or in the tank bag. I plan to use this system while on my up coming 4200 mile solo road trip. Just a suggestion...:biker:

The nice thing about the spot, it will work in most areas, where cells won't (dead areas & no towers). Unless you carry a Sat phone $$$$$, it may be a persons best option.

BTW I carry mine in a jacket pocket. That way if I become seperated from the bike, I can send for help, if needed. Without trying to get to the scoot, in whatever condition, I may be in, to find it.

:2cents:

As an alternative...

My wife uses Google Latitude to track me on my Android phone, and it works with Spotwalla to post it to a map. But as mentioned, there are plenty of places where cell signal stinks, not to mention DATA cell coverage. On my trip to Michigan, just about the entire UP was out of data coverage.

On the other hand, my phone gets great GPS coverage in the saddle bag. I knew where I was all the time, but no one else did. LOL

Dave