IGNORED

make that old plastic dash, etc, look new

bald josh

maybe this isnt new, but i see so many great looking paint jobs on this site, but the black plastic still looks like 25 year old, sun beat, black plastic! ive been riding mine and i look at the dash and think, yuck! so i got a hair up my butt and squirted this on it and WOW, looks like brand new 25 year old plastic.says its made for plastic, rubber, wood, leather, i was careful not to hit the controls (slippery) but didnt mask off anything, just wiped her down after. didnt take much and NO prep.

Teflon is carcinogenic (so is used motor oil) so take caution. it worked well on the other plastic, including the wind screen, time will tell if any bad side effects but for now, im real happy with the outcome!!!

48582.jpg

48583.jpg

48584.jpg

48585.jpg

48586.jpg

Edited by Freebird

maybe this isnt new, but i see so many great looking paint jobs on this site, but the black plastic still looks like 25 year old, sun beat, black plastic! ive been riding mine and i look at the dash and think, yuck! so i got a hair up my butt and squirted this on it and WOW, looks like brand new 25 year old plastic.says its made for plastic, rubber, wood, leather, i was careful not to hit the controls (slippery) but didnt mask off anything, just wiped her down after. didnt take much and NO prep.

Teflon is carcinogenic (so is used motor oil) so take caution. it worked well on the other plastic, including the wind screen, time will tell if any bad side effects but for now, im real happy with the outcome!!!

Wow; pretty cool stuff. Where did you find it?

normally i use armorall but this is different! i take that back, i dont armorall the dash because it doesnt work so well, gets foamy and looks like it did too. i am going for a week ride and will reporrt back when im home. the bottle "says" for plastic but maybe my dash will melt in the heat and ill regret the whole affair(no pun intended)

and vinyl:

Mothers makes a product called "Back to Black" It is designed specifically for this purpose and also protects. I think it works well. It does take a few applications if the part is very faded. It even seems to be working to get the vinyl bags by my knees looking good.

The plastic or vinyl does not have to be black.

Wayne

• 1 month later...

303 Aerospace Protectant

is my choice. It is designed to prevent sun fade on many types of material including rubber, fiberglass, plastic, vinyl, carbon fiber, the list goes on and on. It lasts longer than most other spray on protectants and repels dust. That's one of the things I hate about ArmourAll...it's like a dust magnet!

You can get a 'free' sample kit here with several of their products although you'll have to pay $7 for shipping...

Not affiliated, just a fan.

:7_6_2[1]:

I just spray mine with Pledge and wipe it down.

Ditto that here. i used lemon and orange and the orange seems to work better, less residue to wipe up with a dry clothe. The Pledge also works on the engine, seat windshield, helmet and visor, chrome and pretty much everything but the tires.:thumbsup2:

• 6 months later...
I found that DOT 5 silicone brake fluid works great on black plastic to bring back the black color. This is the purple colored brake fluid not to be confused with DOT 5.1 synthetic, which acts as paint stripper!

Now that's scary.... :yikes:

No need to be scared.....been using silicone brake fluid in my 45 year old collector car for a long time(about 20 years) and lots of us who restore old bikes use it on plastic parts to freshen up the black plastic. A pint of it goes a long way and it is way cheaper than the silicone based products that are marketed as plastic restorers.

Spilled some on the Healey 10 years ago as I was doing a brake service and the paint still shows no adverse issues.....

• 4 years later...

Creamy Peanut Butter will revive the black trim.. don't leave it on just polish on and polish off... Also I have used leather conditioner on my black trim with excellent lasting results. "Leather Rescue" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RE6KV48?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/sho_greg/2eb6c079-544a-44a0-b9a3-58f034c85cda.png

Peanut Butter- its like a rubbing compound and the oils revitalize the oils in the plastic... Some say heat will also rejuvenate the black plastic. Try the peanut butter- I guarantee you will be impressed. Use it on your clear lowers as well.. The brake cover is the $19 Chinese knock off on ebay.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/sho_greg/20160221_122051.jpg

Another use of peanuts... George Washington Carver would be proud... If nothing else the scoot will smell good. But?? What will happen those folks that are allergic to peanuts when I drive by... ?? :-)

And mice LOVE peanut butter,, best mouse trap concoction known to meeses.. :lightbulb:Smear it on your scoot and have those teeny weeny lop eared varmints chasing ya like your the peanut butter pie pied piper.. Might be able to loose IF your riding a 1st Gen:crackup: :big-grin-emoticon:

G'day I have been using this, CRC808 silicone for years on my dirt bikes plastics, rubbers, radiator hoses, outer electrical hoses, also used it in the printing trade to prevent rust on machine beds etc...

I also spray around the outer seals on my forks, both road and dirt, keeps the plastic/rubber "supple".

The tech sheet states "non teflon" based silicone which is comforting considering I used it for 14 odd years as a printer!!!! (not keen on teflon based products)

It sure does bring up the plastics beautiful, don't get it on the seat though or you will slip off!!!!!!

Oh and speaking of slipping off, so does the water!!!

image.jpg