IGNORED

Former Venture Rider

BradT

A friend of mine a former Venture Rider Leo Cozzarin went on a road trip. He planned on a three week trip to South Dakota, Yellowstone, Colorado and where ever else he wanted to go. Eight days into his trip, it was cut short by an accident. Thankfully he was in a construction zone and was stopped in traffic. He was there for a while so he got off the bike and was texting his wife, when the accident occured.

Glad he is okay. Pictures he sent me are posted below.

Brad

Three injured in U.S. 191 crash

A woman from Switzerland and two others riding in her vehicle were injured July 14 after she apparently fell asleep at the wheel, crashing into a motorcycle rider and a semi-tractor trailer, according to a report from the Utah Highway Patrol. The women, 27, was traveling north on U.S. 191 at mile 146 at about 11 a.m. when the crash occurred in a construction zone where traffic was restricted to one lane of travel at a time, according to the report. The motorcycle and the semi were stopped and waiting to be guided through the construction area when the crash occurred, UHP officials said. The motorcycle rider and semi driver escaped injury. The woman and two other occupants of the Jeep were transported by ambulance to Allen Memorial Hospital. The road was closed to intermittent traffic for about 1.5 hours, according to the report.

Moab Times-Independent - Public Safety Report July 22 2010

That is extremely lucky. I'd hate to imagine what would have happened if he had been sitting on it and texting.

I might be a bit morbid but I started thinking about what parts I'd like to get off that bike. I need a new chrome piece under the windshield...

WOW - glad to read he wasn't on that bike and is OK. Amazing photo's. Hard to believe someone was tired like that - especially going through a guided construction zone - where was the sense to not have someone else drive - or pull off the road :confused24:

Wow Brad he was certainly very lucky, I hope we don't run into any of these inatentive drivers, I'll have 3 weeks of looking in the rear view mirror.

Ian

Ian this person came directly in front but still a good idea to look behind you. Enjoy and have a save ride.

Brad

Guest tx2sturgis

This is one of the main reasons I won't sit on a bike at the back of a construction line, waiting for a pilot car, or the flagman to let us all proceed. As I approach the stopped line of vehicles, I pass them all on the right, and roll up ahead of the first car or truck in line. I park right next to the flagman and begin a friendly conversation. If the flagman or flag-girl seems surprised I simply explain its too dangerous for a motorcyclist to sit at the end of the line of cars, and they always agree. Most of them smile and enjoy the short visit. Some are riders themselves.

Construction workers see some really bad drivers in action. Normally, its very hot when they are doing re-paving, and sitting on the bike, on hot pavement, in a line of cars, in the sun, for 20 minutes, is not healthy for me at all. The cages all have air-conditioned interiors and sometimes a well stocked cooler, not to mention shade.

I've never had anyone say anything negative to me about it, and occasionally a truck driver will jump out of the cab and walk up and have a visit, sometimes asking if were headed to Sturgis or wherever.

I treat it as if its any other traffic jam, and I use the privileges of riding on 2 wheels to full effect.

When the flagman signals for us to go, I'm right behind the pilot car if there is one, or I'm free to proceed if not, and either way, once clear of the construction zone, I quickly hit cruising speed while the gaggle of cars and trucks meander in a cluster for miles. I dont have to pass or be passed anywhere NEAR as much, and I have interfered with NO-ONE.

Not saying its legal, or polite, but it keeps me alive and sane in the summer riding season.

WOW - glad to read he wasn't on that bike and is OK. Amazing photo's. Hard to believe someone was tired like that - especially going through a guided construction zone - where was the sense to not have someone else drive - or pull off the road :confused24:

I do a lot of highway driving for work and there have been an amazing amount of highway accidents here in northern Ontario this year; many due to drivers falling asleep. Maybe it's because of the open roads, less traffic, beautiful weather, long trips between towns? I wish people that were tired would pull over and take a snooze or break.

Glad to see he was off his bike when this accident happened...obviously, not his time.