IGNORED

Cheap, replacement air cleaners - are there?

In my constant quest to bring new meaning to the phrase "cheap screw".....I'm currently looking for a way to replace my air cleaner elements that won't cost an arm and a leg.

If anyone's got an idea for an alternate paper element (i.e. sourced from anywhere other than the factory)......or a completely different setup (but please not K$N....oops did I make a Freudian spelling error there?......) I'm open to suggestions.......just not expensive ones.

Hey, I'm even up for crazy ideas like dry-cleaning my stock ones.......IF it would work!

Thanks for anything,

Mike

not for the 2nd gens

BUT it might be a good starting point.

What he did was to remove the paper from an old filter and replace it with open cell foam from the auto parts store.

someone needs to remove their factory filter and see if there is screen on the inside like on the 1st gen bikes or if it will be structurally sound with the removal of the paper element......

the UNI filter foam that RedRocket used was pure genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! too cool!!!!!!!!!!!! It is avaiable HERE

I dont see the RSV listed in their online catalog HERE

Edited by KiteSquid

• 4 weeks later...

I just spoke to a fella named Tom at Unifilter and he confirmed that they do NOT currently have a filter in stock built specifically for the Gen 2 RSV.

He says to keep an eye on the online catalogue and that they should have one produced in the next month or so. (I guess they're going to buy an OEM one and copy/adapt it as quickly as they can!)

That's the latest, up-to-datest.........so if anyone's in desperate need of a filter before year end, I guess it's K&N or stock.

Cheers,

Mike

I just spoke to a fella named Tom at Unifilter and he confirmed that they do NOT currently have a filter in stock built specifically for the Gen 2 RSV.

He says to keep an eye on the online catalogue and that they should have one produced in the next month or so. (I guess they're going to buy an OEM one and copy/adapt it as quickly as they can!)

That's the latest, up-to-datest...

Hey hey, that's some good news! Thanks Mike! :thumbsup2:

By the way I got a good laugh out of your first post beacause that described me to a 'Tee' :thumbsup2:

I know that the K&N are expensive up front, but because they are designed to be cleaned and reused, you will never need to buy another air filter. It will pay for its self over time. Not to mention that the K&N is a very good filter.

The K&N's do not filter as well as the paper filters.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

They also don't give any better gas mileage.

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/air-filter-part-2.htm

I know that the K&N are expensive up front, but because they are designed to be cleaned and reused, you will never need to buy another air filter. It will pay for its self over time. Not to mention that the K&N is a very good filter.

Actually the K&N does not trap as much dirt as the factory equipment filter does.

I will NOT put a K&N type air filter on any vehicle I own......

• 2 weeks later...

These bikes are sensitive to the amount of air coming in, that's why the intake slot on the top of the air box is so small. Someone else has done that on here, maybe Skydoc? They can report on what they found. If'n I remember right, it was way too much air (kinda like trying to run it without the top on) coming in and a lot of backfiring was going on. These Yamaha engineers knew what they were doing when they build these things!

The first gen can run with a little less air but your fuel mileage will suffer, but too much air they don't run worth a darn. Its also damaging to some of the components beyond the carbs.

a person needs to duplicate the filters for microns and surface area if you intend to stand a chance at retro fitting another filter on the bike.

Just askin'.....

On a 1st Gen would it be okay to remove the airbox and install four seperate filters? Waddya think?

General rule of thumb for the 1st gens, is don't mess with the filter box, other then adding a few holes to increase air flow. But it you over do it, you will cause problems.

Just as a test, remove the cover and go for a ride-- You will soon realize that the engine is not running quite right !! Mine runs like crap, with the cover removed !

Here is a post with pictures of the '89 that I had with the pod filters. This thing ran like a scalded ape but there was much more to it than just the filters. It had the VMAX conversion that included the VBoost, Vmax heads, etc. Along with the pod filters it also had carb work done.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=337024&postcount=40

It was converted before I bought it so I really don't have any details on any of it.