IGNORED

Trip to Yellowstone

murph35640

Looks like we will finally be making the trip to Yellowstone and beyond in about six weeks! I know that it will be a little late in the year for some of the places that we want to see but it is just not possible for me to take off in the middle of the summer for that long. I would like to see if anyone who has made this trip can reccommend any must see places along the way. Neither one of us has ever been out that far and we would like to see and do as much as possible while there. We will be leaving here on the 17th of september and planning to be back on the 2nd of october. Hope to be able to go all the way up to Glacier Natl Park then head on back. If the weather doesn't cooperate we may have to alter those plans. Will probably run a couple of long days at first to try and get at least into Colorado then we will sort of play it by ear, if we find a place where we would like to spend a couple of days I don' want to be on such a tight schedule that it would be difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Murph

In 2000 we went out to Sturgis and went to Yellowstone but most of it was on fire, you must see Mt Rushmore I didn't think I would be interested in it but I was amazed. Glacier National Park was my favorite but when you leave Yellowstone you have to ride Beartooth pass it has to be my all time favorite ride you will not be disappointed.

If Bummer Sees this I am sure he will say Beartooth pass:beer:

I never had the time when I was out there but it sounds like a must to do, I am sure you will have a great time and the sites are amazing.

Brad

Yes, ride Beartooth Pass and the Chief Joseph Parkway when in the Yellowstone area.

Much of the Yellowstone summer crowds and road construction should be gone when you make your trip. Prepare for cold weather riding. Expect night time temps to drop to the mid 20's with daily highs in the 50-70 degree range. Cold mornings, nice days, and cool evenings are to be expected. Major snow isn't likely at that time, but it could happen. A bad snow shouldn't cause more than a one day delay.

If you're in to bathing in mineral hot springs, put Thermopolis, WY, on your route.

Ride Montana highway 83 from Sealy Lake north to Highway 35 and 206 into the Columbia Falls/Kalispell area, but don't ride these roads after dark. These roads are very scenic and loaded with wildlife.

"Going To The Sun" highway is terriffic along with US-89 south to MT-49 to US-2 back into the Columbia Falls/Kalispell area.

Sounds like a great trip!

PM me if you add the Black Hills to your trip and want some riding company.:Venture:

What they said +

If you get to Thermopilis be sure and ride Wind River Canyon. Go south out of Yellowstone and down to Jackson Hole, Wy. to see and ride thru The Teton mt. range.

We are going to be in the area Aug 27- Sept. 7 then north to Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, Spearfish, Sturgis. :big-grin-emoticon:

we stayed at the koa just outside the south entrance to yellowstone. had to talk pretty hard to get linda to leave. wake up in the morning and see the grand tetons = beautiful.

if you have room, take a fishing pole so you can try your luck in the river just below the spillway at jackson lake. license was $5 for a 3 day tag and the trout are huge.

Jackson hole is a must just for the elk horn entry way. too many things, too little time

you will enjoy the entire area --

If Bummer Sees this I am sure he will say Beartooth pass:beer: ...

Yep. Guilty. If I'm within a State or two I'm riding the Beartooth. The Chief Joseph's a very nice ride too. But ahhhh, the Beartooth.

I've never made it to Going To The Sun, though it's on the list. Too busy riding the Beartooth.

As already mentioned, Wind River Canyon is also a beautiful ride. Irene and I camped at a KOA just east of the Tetons - probably the one Hummingbird's talking about. That was a beautiful view to wake up to! The whole area is quite spectacular.

When I'm out that direction I like to hit the big three: Pike's Peak, Mount Evans, and Trail Ridge Road, but I usually do those toward the end of the trip. I use the other tall places to get used to the altitude.

The real problem is that there's so much to see in the Rockies that you just have to pick and choose for any trip. Eventually I hope to make it up toward Banff and Jasper.

While we're talking about The Beartooth pass, How will a stock jetted '01 RSV do at the 11,000 foot summit ? Will re-jetting be needed because of the thin air? I don't want any problems up there with my wife on the back.

Two weeks ago I rode through yellowstone, big sky, etc. I think peaked altitudes of somewhere between 8 and 10k ft. The bike did fine (mine is all stock). I ended up with a nasty headache, but, that could have been from a number of other things too. Just don't forget that it is okay to wind the bike out a bit in 3rd and 4th going up some of those hills :happy34:

Have a safe trip.

:Venture:

Ragtop, just keep the revs higher no problems. Gas mileage suffers a bit but worth it.

Still kick myself for not taking the time to do beartooth pass, when in Yellowstone

Brad

Interestingly enough, I think my fuel economy was the best through this particular stretch of my trip... :confused24:

But that is a different debate for a different thread. I'd say don't worry about it and let-r-rip.

While we're talking about The Beartooth pass, How will a stock jetted '01 RSV do at the 11,000 foot summit ? Will re-jetting be needed because of the thin air? I don't want any problems up there with my wife on the back.
Nope. My '06 has been to the top of Mount Evans, Pike's Peak, Trail Ridge Road, and The Beartooth without any carb work at all. Irene, on the other hand, will require some work before I take her up Mt. Evans again. She got altitude sickness the last time and has vowed to whup on me if I ever make her go up there again. That only showed up above 13,000 feet.

You might want to change clutch fluid before you head to the high elevations. Many years ago I went up Mt Evans on a First Gen with old clutch fluid. I had pretty much no clutch at the top. It came back just fine as we went back down. It was a live-and-learn moment. Since then I've changed hydraulic fluid throughout at the suggested interval, just like the book says. Turns out there really is a reason.

Last year in Cody we had 15 of us go over the pass on a group ride without a hitch. Even my '83VR acted like we were at sea level....

Just out of curiosity, why did old fluid make your clutch do that? I am concerned because mine has never been changed and has 20,000 miles on it! I will definately get the bike thoroughly serviced before we leave but I would like to know what happens to make it do that.

why did old fluid make your clutch do that? .

I too had an issue with old clutch fluid. 100+ degrees on the way out andwhen we hit the mountains I lost the clutch. Pull it in and nothing, rode second gear most of the way up looking for a spot to stop. At the top it was much cooler changed the fluid and was fine after that.

Think it has to do with moisture and the temps created, that prevents the fluid from doing what it is suppose to.

If it is old change it before you go, or your friend Murphy will visit.

Brad

Just out of curiosity, why did old fluid make your clutch do that? I am concerned because mine has never been changed and has 20,000 miles on it! I will definately get the bike thoroughly serviced before we leave but I would like to know what happens to make it do that.

Old fluid has moisture in it. When things start getting hot the moisture will start to boil and expand pushing on the slave rods just like squeezing the clutch lever.... That's why you should bleed the clutch every two years at the minimum....

Very short version:

Higher altitudes allow any water in your hydraulic system to separate out of the hydraulic fluid more easily. When you squeeze the lever or push the pedal the water absorbs the pressure. Since the water absorbs all the squeeze, the thing on the other end doesn't move. The older the fluid, the more water, the worse the problem.

The clutch won't disengage the engine from the transmission, the brakes won't squeeze the pads against the disks. The gear you're in is the gear you're in, and stopping can be a problem.

What doesn't work, and how much, depends on which system has absorbed the most water, and how much water it's absorbed. My brakes didn't give me any trouble, but my clutch almost went away.

Makes sense! I will definately get all fluids changed this weekend. Going that far from home and with noone else going with us I really don't want to risk having something break just so I can save a few bucks. I never really thought about it much I guess, just always thought that was some gimmick to let the dealers make more money or something. Thanks for the info!

Looks like Beartooth is hands down the favorite ride so far, we will definately have to do that one and probably the Chief Joseph as well!

Chief Joseph is a must also! It's completely different than Beartooth. You'll be glad you did it. If you end up staying near Red Lodge, MT, while running the Beartooth, the hubby and I stayed here.

www.AlpineRedLodge.com

We stayed in one of their cabins, and the next morning, guests of the motel and cabins are treated to an outside "flapjack" breakfast. I can't remember the name of the guy cooking, but he's a retired policeman from Minneapolis, MN. We would stay there again in a heart beat!

The clutch won't disengage the engine from the transmission, the brakes won't squeeze .

Yup clutch was gone jammed it from third to second and then tried not to slow down too much but some of the corners had me pretty slow. Had to wait until the top before there was a flat spot to stop.

Brakes were not an issue, but had to coast to a stop, was not fun.

Brad