IGNORED

Travel info Deels Gap, BRPW and Skyline

Seaking

Hi guys, sometime early next month, my buddy and I are heading out on yet another long road trip and we thought of trying something new.

Entering the USA at Houlton Maine, we would be proceeding south on the I95. We're thinking of hitting Mount Washington in NH and then down to what we heard is one heck of a nice ride, the "Skyline", the "Blue Ridge Parkway" and then the famous Deels Gap (dragon's tail)

If you have detailed info as to where these routes start, how to get there etc via town names to plug into the GPS, what to expect, especially if you yourself have had personal experience on these routes, please do drop me a line. As mentioned, we would be coming from the north heading south..

Thanks in advance..

Cheers

Be aware that Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway makes for a long slow ride. If you bail out and return to the interstate, do NOT miss the Southernmost portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is the best. Also, if you can work in the Cherohala Skyway either before or after the Dragon, it is definitely worthwhile.

You can Google all of these and get lots of detailed information.

Lynn

I just returned home from the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway. Both are great rides. If you need a place to stay, the Iron Horse Motorcycle lodge was a great place to stay. Not far from the Dragon or Cherohala.

We rode Skyline and Parkway a couple of years ago. Like it was mentioned before, it makes for a long ride. We did the entire Parkway in a long day. The end is of the Parkway is by far the best part.

I actually cover the Front Royal part of VA for work so if you need any specific details of where to stay, eat or any other information give me a shout.

Guest Boomerbiker

The Blue Ridge Parkway and Cherohala Skyway are two of my favorite rides so I can vouch for what others have said. I usually split the ride into two days, but that is more a function of the time of year, as I go in the off season when the traffic is lighter and daylight shorter. My first '06 Dark Cherry met its demise at milepost 28.5 when a "blind" cager pulled out in front of me on a curve. The second '06 has been my faithful companion for 31,600 miles including two more trips on the Parkway, one in each direction. I'm planning another in the fall. From my experience vigilance is key, though. There are many scenic pullouts en route and some are less visible than others. Deals Gap and the Dragon are fun just to say you did it, but I thing the "tail" is somewhat overdone. Try to do it during the week as opposed to the weekend when it's often a zoo.

Also be aware of the road construction on the upper portion of the BRP in NC. Roads were a little rough at times but they are working on them.As for scenery, my wife and I road the length of Skyway, BRP, Cherohola,and Smokies the week after MD at Don's. It was beautiful, very little traffic through the week.Had a great time!!! Hope ya'll do to.:thumbsup2:

I live in Lynchburg, VA....THE SKYLINE DRIVE IN MY OPINION HAS A LOT OF KODAK MOMENTS, BUT IT ALSO AS A SPEED LIMIT OF 35 MPG. WAS ON IT LAST YEAR COMING BACK FROM GETTYSBURG. I COULD NOT WAIT TO GET OFF.....BRPKWY IS 45-50 MPG...THINGS MOVE A LITTLE FASTER....JMHO

I HAVE DONE THE ENTIRE BRPWY...THE BEST PART I THINK IS FROM BOONE, NC TO THE END OF THE PKWY IN NC. THE LAST PORTION SOUTH OF ASHEVILLE HAS MULTIPLE TUNNELS AND ALSO THE HIGHEST POINT ON THE PKWY.

MY WIFE AND I ALSO STAY AND IRONHORSE MC LODGE....WE LOVE IT....CHEROHALA IS A "MUST DO"....DEALS GAP IS A DO ON TIME, BUT OVER-RATED....I HAVE SOME ROADS IN IN CENTRAL VA THAT DROP OF THE BRPKWY WITH A WHOLE LOT MORE TWISTIES...JUST NOT AS LONG.

THE "ENTIRE" AREA IN GRAHAM COUNTY, NC..(DEALS GAP, CHEROHALA, ETC) IS A RIDING MECA....ENJOY....STOP AND TAKE MULTIPLE PIX...

LONG TALL

LYNCHBURG, VA

So many MUCH thanks to all who responded, wow.. tres cool guys. Looks like I got all I need to get started and make a run of it. Considering my buddy and I are predominantly 'slab riders', taking the slow and sleepy trails will be more of a challenge for us than most could imagine.. but it's one of those trails and routes that has to be done.. from start to finish.. As far as rough roads and construction, no probs.. no matter how rough or how slow due to construction, it can't be any worse than up here at the moment.. wow.

Accommodations? lots to go around? reasonably priced? We don't do that camping stuff..

Fuel stops plentiful as well?

So looking forward to this run =)

there are no fuel stops on the skyline dr. or blue ridge.....you have to exit them and proceed to a fuel stop...usually some small town, etc....

there are some little stores and "snack shops" on the BRP and skyline....and there are some places to stay right on them but not many........check out " little switzerland"

Edited by jlh3rd