IGNORED

out of gas with 2 bars showing?

any one have this happen? went out for a short ride as im still healing.

was ridding down main street in a little town after a 40 mile ride. Dianne was with me i hit the throtle and poof bike stoped? ok coast over to the wendys parking lot. shut key off turned it back on tank showed one bar? while on side stand. i took it off the side stand it showed 2 bars on the fuel gage. would not start? ok i carry a one gallon gas can in top trunk. gas staion right next to wendys thank god as its hot out today. i got one gallon of gas and the bars didnt move on the fuel gage? hit the starter and vroom it fired right up. went over and filled the tank. bars are at the top. took 4.5 gallons total to fill it thats with the one gallon gas can i allready put in. the petcock is stuck so i dont dare try and move it. from the looks of the petcock it looks like its on RES?. never had this happen before and allways got around 40mpg. when the bike ran good. looks like im now pulling 34 mpg?:confused07:

The sending units for the fuel gauge rarely go bad. They can get dirty(higher resistance) with oxidation. BUT higher the resistance = lower the reading. Now the higher that you have. Senders don't usually read low when bad. Buut the starting point wpould be to remove the sender and test it. FYI, you can remove the sender after you have used about 2 gallons of gas. The rubber seal at the sender is a tough item and rarely go bad. The washer/gaskets at the screws also are tough items. So I would pull the sender out and test it per the manual. THIS IS THE EASIEST thing to test. If it passes the tests. The the computer moniter has issues. As far as the 34 mpg goes. Run it some more...at least 2 tanks of fuel. HAs is don e much sitting. New gas goes to hell in 2-4 weeks. And quicker in the float bowls.I use Star-tron in my gas. Available in high power formula(8oz. does 128 gallons) at Boating places and Marinas. The stuff works to keep the gas from turning bad. Better than Sta-bil.

Riding with the petcock in the reserve position can leave you stuck without any reserve. The gage can show quite a bit of difference depending on the lean of the bike ie; on the side stand or not. So if you check it before you start out it can be quite a bit lower once you stand the bike up.

Mike

The exact thing happened to me 3 days ago on I44.

I had 2 bars left. The low fuel light never came on and my bike choked and died. I pulled onto shoulder and it would not start.

Luckily I was on vacation with my trailer so I had a gas can with gas. Poured all the gas in and it started right away.

The next gas stn I filled up with the highest octane they had. The fill up before I may have used an 85 by mistake instead of an 87 that is here in Canada. I was hoping that was the problem just not enough octane.