IGNORED

Front brake noise

I just replaced my brakes (F&R) with EBC Sintered HH pads.

I cleaned both front rotors with brake cleaner and install the pads. After 200 miles, the brakes didn't seem to "grab" enough...brake lever is solid (didn;t monkey with the brake fluid).

Took them off, cleaned the rotors and brake pads with brake cleaner...get much better braking capacity, but now I get almost a metal-on-metal sound when I apply the front brakes.

Any ideas or thoughts? I've seen folks here have sanded thier rotors and scuffed up their pads with sandpaper. That scraping sound is getting annoying...

Dingy - No insult taken....but can you really put them in backwards? :doh:

Great suggestion - Chamfering the edges of the pads is my next attempt! BTW: I sprayed the backs of the pads with CRC "disc Brake Quiet" prior to assembly?

Rod - When you say clean the pistons, do mean the outside of the piston or the top of the piston that seats to the BACK (:whistling:) of the pad?

If these tricks don't work, I'll just turn up the tunes!

Thanks for the inputs guys!

:thumbsup:

Rod - When you say clean the pistons, do mean the outside of the piston or the top of the piston that seats to the BACK (:whistling:) of the pad?

Both actualy, make sure everything is smooth with no ruff spots and lube the back of the pad. Rod

Sometimes that can be caused by metalic or ceramic linings.

Both CRC and PERMATEX make a product called disc brake quiet (I prefer the paste version over the spray).

Remove the pads and coat the back side of the pads. allow time for the product to get semi dry or tacky and then reinstal the pads. I use it on almost every brake job I do from motorcycles to heavy trucks.

Dingy - No insult taken....but can you really put them in backwards? :doh:

Great suggestion - Chamfering the edges of the pads is my next attempt! BTW: I sprayed the backs of the pads with CRC "disc Brake Quiet" prior to assembly?

If these tricks don't work, I'll just turn up the tunes!

Thanks for the inputs guys!

:thumbsup:

Yes you can put them in backwards. It's easy to do if you're not paying attention. Don't ask me how I know.:no-no-no:

Sometimes that can be caused by metalic or ceramic linings.

Both CRC and PERMATEX make a product called disc brake quiet (I prefer the paste version over the spray).

Remove the pads and coat the back side of the pads. allow time for the product to get semi dry or tacky and then reinstal the pads. I use it on almost every brake job I do from motorcycles to heavy trucks.

What he said.

Coat all areas where there is metal contact and make sure the slider pins are lubed.

Also, don't use regular sandpaper on the pads or rotors... use emery paper. (don't ask me why ... it's just what I was taught in mechanics school some 45 years ago)