IGNORED

How many horsepower on the second generation?

casabroker

Just got back from a 1350 mi road trip pulling my trailer and girl ? Had to use 4 gear most of the time. Overdrive is way to tall with a load. I have a 96 just seems to need a little more juice. It runs great but another 20 hp would be nice.

Guest tx2sturgis

Its not unusual at all to need to downshift when 2-up pulling a trailer. After all, both 4th and 5th are overdrive gears on the RoyalStars. The final reduction is accomplished at the rear end, and as mentioned by Squidley, changing out the rear gears for a v-max ratio will cure most of that.

These are wide-ratio transmissions and as such, there is a fairly large gap between each gear, and the motor can handle it, as long as its in its power band.

When fully loaded, pulling a trailer, and 2-up, dont be scared to drop to 4th and wind it up...all the way to 100 mph or over IF you've got the place to do it.....

Enjoy!

The pre-99 Royal Stars are gutless wonders. They're rated somewhere around 60hp if I recall correctly. Small cams and small carbs. Pegscraper has modified his extensively and it runs rather well.

The 99's on up are rated at 98hp with the bigger cams and larger carbs.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1996 through 2001 Royal Stars (non-Venture) were rated 74 HP at the crank (probably lower to mid 60's at the rear wheels). The problem was small carbs (28 mm) and airbox and mild cams. When Yamaha re-introduced the Venture in 1999 the power was uprated to 98 HP (crank) primarily by upgrading the carbs to 32 mm and using a larger volume airbox. They also installed a revised cam profile (intake or exhaust I don't remember). There are folks out there making these upgrades to their Royals to get Venture like power. But, by far the most bang for the buck is installing a V-Max rear end on the Royal Star. The gear ratio in the V-Max rear differential keeps the engine in the power band. These motors like to rev! You can also put the V-Max gears in the Royal Star differential. http://rmsportmax.com/gateway.html will also perform the gear swap and exchange for your existing rear end. Anyway, there are options out there to more grunt from your Royal!

Just got back from a 1350 mi road trip pulling my trailer and girl ? Had to use 4 gear most of the time. Overdrive is way to tall with a load. I have a 96 just seems to need a little more juice. It runs great but another 20 hp would be nice.
2nd gens only come rated in PONY power:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

20 HP more???????????????????

I want 100 HP more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then you will just have to get a 1st gen :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I don't think it's done yet. When Earl had his mishap, he realized that he wasn't going to be able to finish it in a timely manner so Pegscraper stepped up and took the project over. The bike is with Lynn now and I think is still a work in process.