IGNORED

Stock exhaust modification

Evening Everybody:

New to the group and have owned my 2008 venture for a year or so and put about 12000 miles on it. I have the Whine coming from the clutch basket. It is not real bad and I was thinking about modifing the the stock exhaust system by removing the cone from the end of the exhaust and putting some holes in the last baffle. Has anybody done this or heard of the results of doing this. IE: gas mileage, engine performance ect....The hope is to make the pipes loader so I can't hear the whining from the clutch. Any information would be really appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the site, I did that to my stock pipes, sounded ok, but went with the Hardly Road Kings, knocked the baffles out of them, sounds pretty good now. you can find the R/K`s pretty cheap if not free, you may want to go that route before you cut up your stock pipes...

K

Guest retusn

I've done it to my Roadstar I had and my Venture. I like a little sound, but didn't like the loud sound my Vance and Hines were putting out. I do like the sound coming out of my Venture now, not to loud, but not to soft. I drilled 1/2 inch holes at 12-3-6 and 9 looking at the pipe from the rear.

Bob

Welcome!

Any chance you're running the engine too low in its range? Lots of people who come to the Venture from a V-twin do. (Don't know what you came from, just mentioning.)

Mine only whines a little between 2500 and 3000 rpms. Its happy revving to the high side of 7000 rpms (got a Dyna3000). I treat the sound as an indicator that I need to downshift. Generally I try not to use fifth gear below 65 or 70.

Of course, some do have a bit of a problem, but most are just suffering from under utilization. If you haven't already, take it out and bump it against the rev-limiter a couple of times (second gear - this'll take you just under 100 in third), just to find out how tight it'll wind. Not all the time, mind you, just a couple of times to train your ear and butt. It won't hurt anything. These engines are perfectly happy running one rpm below cut out (and some over, actually - that's what the Dyna's for). A tach is also a very handy addition.

Oh, and good luck with the pipes. I run stock most of the time, though I do have a set of Baron's 4-2-4s I picked up used. I had to make baffles for them. They came without. Now that's loud!

Welcome to the sight. I to started out with four wholes at 12-3-6-and 9. Started with 3/8's and worked up, I ended up at about 11/16ths just under 3/4. It has a deep sound not to load. Wife thinks it is, would like to find a set of stock so I can change when she is going on a long ride with me, than put the others on for around town or when I am solo. Good luck.

I drilled my stock mufflers the same way you did, liked the sound, not loud but a nice low tone. After a while even they got kind of annoying, so last week I removed the mufflers and plug welded the holes shut and back to the stock sound. Yesterday my wife and I went on a ride, and imediatly I noticed the bike had more get up and go and accelerated better. I thought when I drilled the back of the mufflers it made a difference and I guess the noise made it feel like it had more power, but after plug welding the holes shut it must create more back pressue and seemed to really help it. My bike has had the dreaded chirp coming more evident lately, and last night the chirp was almost none existant. I know the exhaust should have nothing to do with the clutch chirp, but kind of hard to explain. The chirp was getting that bad that it was giving me a headache and my wife noticed it to from the passenger seat. Last night I didn't say a word about the chirp as I noticed it was less, and later during the ride my wife said hey where's that chirping noise at ? did you do something to fix it, I said no, just plug welded the mufflers, go figure.:confused24:

Oh, and good luck with the pipes. I run stock most of the time, though I do have a set of Baron's 4-2-4s I picked up used. I had to make baffles for them. They came without. Now that's loud!

hehe I have a set of Larossa downturn pipes that are, for all intended purposes, wide open and exceedingly loud.. Love riding into bike meets with those on and the low cut windscreen and have people say "now that's how a Harley SHOULD sound and look"..

And I nod my head and agree with them.. this IS how a Harley should look and sound LOL..

Evening Everybody:

New to the group and have owned my 2008 venture for a year or so and put about 12000 miles on it. I have the Whine coming from the clutch basket. It is not real bad and I was thinking about modifing the the stock exhaust system by removing the cone from the end of the exhaust and putting some holes in the last baffle. Has anybody done this or heard of the results of doing this. IE: gas mileage, engine performance ect....The hope is to make the pipes loader so I can't hear the whining from the clutch. Any information would be really appreciated. Thanks

I have made a couple of post on how to modify your exhaust in this section, in a manor that sounds good and is not visible mod, if you will call me on my contact number I will go over it with you, its easier to explain over the phone.

Gregg

I have made a couple of post on how to modify your exhaust in this section, in a manor that sounds good and is not visible mod, if you will call me on my contact number I will go over it with you, its easier to explain over the phone.

Gregg

Better yet, why not just post the thread: :happy34:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41418&highlight=Exhaust

just did the mod on my 2008rsv pretty easy the only problem I had is that it is double pipe there and there would be a little piece floating free inside so I grinded the tack weld at the cone so I could remove the small piece of pipe.thanks for the info guys

Evening Everybody:

:hurts::hurts::hurts:

Lots of info on this in the TECH section along with a multitude of other items that will help you maintain you ride.

I see you are not a member yet! Membership is only $12 a year and allows you to view and use all sections of this site. I would guess that I have saved ~$2000 by being a member here and using the tech articles and a lot of assistance from members here who are more than willing to assist you when you have issues.

Having said that. I drilled out my stock mufflers after removing the rear cone cover and drilled 4 holes. If you decide that is too loud you can get a "Cap" at the hardware store that will plug up the hole and avoid having to weld them shut to return to the old sound.

However, most of us just buy some Harley Roadking slip ons for $15-$25 along with the necessary monunt and clamp and avoid issues with our stock pipes. This mod and the necessary parts are in the TECH section too. And no, I am not the owner of this site just someone who appreciates its vaule and certainly appreciates all the assistance I have recieved from numerous people on this site both in person and online.

One Happy Camper!!

jb

Tried the modification and ended up with 6, 1/2 holes. Like the sound and mostly makes the whining noise fade into a softer backround noise. I have actually been riding without the radio for a change (Don't have to blast out the whining noise). Thanks for all the input. Be safe and have a great day.

• 4 weeks later...

I put a set of Roadhouse Slip Ons on my 08 Venture. Love the sound. Get many compliments about it. My Yamaha service guy has been telling me since I owned the bike that the carbs need to be jetted because the Venture is so cold collared. So after putting on the slip ons I had the carbs jetted. Lost 7 miles to the gallon! Went from 42 to 35mpg! I hate that. Any ideas on how I can keep my sound and get my mileage back? If I go back to the original jets what will that do? I DO NOT want my bike running so hot the it blues my exhaust!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scarylarry

I would not touch the OEM pipes, I did and hated it now I have a set of OEM pipes that are only good for a boat anchor, I do have a RK pipes that are going on in the next few days..

Remember once you touch pipes they are done and R/K pipes are a lot cheaper than OEM pipes..

I saw a thread resently that listed the numbers of Harley RK mufflers to use 95 98 95a etc, it said not to use the 07 muffler because it had the catylitic (terrible spelling) inside one muffler.

I got a set of 07 from a friend, they sound good! Am i doing any harm by using them? I can see light through the regular muffler, but not the other. So naturally there's probably more back pressure. And the cat muffler weighs almost double then the other. Can the cat muffler be modified some how to make it the same as the other?

Regarding RK slip on exhaust, would these work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150486724672&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

If so, how difficult are they to mount?

I currently have about 5 holes drilled in my muffler caps, sounds nice but want a bit more and am leery of mangling my stock mufflers beyond repair...

Regarding RK slip on exhaust, would these work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150486724672&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

If so, how difficult are they to mount?

I currently have about 5 holes drilled in my muffler caps, sounds nice but want a bit more and am leery of mangling my stock mufflers beyond repair...

they 'look' similar to the ones I had on before I put the Rineharts on.. if they are, you'll find them not overly loud but handsomely gruff sounding (hard to explain what a sound sounds like lol)..

You'll need plate adapters available in the Classified section, $40 each and some coupling clamps if they are not available with the slipons. http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2199&title=yamaha-venture-exhaust-hd-conversion-mounting-plates&cat=7

VERY simple to install.. It only takes 20 minutes to swap pipes back and forth on this bike.. taking the saddle bags off makes a lot of difference..

FUTUREVENTURES: First of all, Semper Fi, Devil Dog (Ooh Rah!). Second, I have a set of RK mufflers lying on my shelves. They are in good shape, with no marks, rust, etc. I have removed both baffles (1 1/8" hole saw) from both mufflers. I had them on my 2000 RSV. I liked the sound at idle, but found that I wanted a little more sound during acceleration/cruising. I got a fantastic deal on a set of BUB HD mufflers, so I switched to them. I like them alot more. More sound without being obnoxious. By the way, I also have a set of "P-clamps" for mounting them to the bottom/back of the saddlebag brackets. I will tell you that I had a slight vibration on the right (brake side) when the "P-clamps" were on, so I switched to the $40 brackets. The brackets are of very good quality and the mufflers are rock solid on them. The pipes and clamps are yours if you're willing to pay the shipping. I don't know how much that would be, but I'm sure I could find out, depending on what type of shipping you prefer. Let me know, Don from PA. PS. I can post photos if you want.

• 8 years later...

I want to put bigger diameter pipes on my 1996 Royal Star from the head back. I took the mufflers off and it was only a 1 inch pipe. Will bigger pipes say 1-1/2" - 2" work or My other thought was to cut the stock pipes about 3" from the head end and flare it out then weld new size pipe back to flared out head piece. would option 2 work

• Like 1