IGNORED

Found a new place in the Black Hills.....

Iowawegian

Got back home last night from the Black Hills....had a great time...just thought I'd share a pix of a place where we hadn't been before.

It's a town (population....probably 3) called Rochford. You drive 17 miles in on blacktop, eat at the bar and drive 17 miles back out. The place was packed!

Guest tx2sturgis

Cool...what is the location or the number of the road that takes you there? I looked on mapquest and it showed a spaghetti bowl of roads in that area, none of them numbered or named.

I'll be in the Black Hills in a few weeks, and thats a new one to me!

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:TzAEz6VeGjv1mM::www.nor-cal-deaf-bikers.org/events/black-hills-map-01.jpg&t=1&h=196&w=125&usg=__xBkS5dqa0Stc4E1bjkVuMzJRk7E=Type in "Black Hills map" in google and you'll get this map.I don't know if you can enlarge this map....but take Hwy 85 south west out of Lead. You'll go about 5 miles and see a green sign that just says "Rochford". On the map it says county road 17 but you won't see any road sign. Once you get on 17, it's 17 miles to get there.

All other roads around there are gravel. Hope you can find it. If you've been out there, you know the Black Hills maps that you can get anywhere ? That's the map you want.

Deb,

That is pretty much how we went in last year. 85 / 14 south out of Lead then left on Co Rd 205 / Rochford Rd. Nice little ride, and cool place. Had a burger, not bad either.

Been to Nemo and Vanokers canyon road. ( I know I spelled it wrong)

Bryan

Hey Bryan!!

Had a great time....but, I'm getting too old....we went cheap and decided to tent it for 4 nights! I'm starting to think I'm at an age where I should quit being so tight and spring for a real bed!!! After the 600 mile ride home yesterday, I'm pooped!

Hey Bryan!!

Had a great time....but, I'm getting too old....we went cheap and decided to tent it for 4 nights! I'm starting to think I'm at an age where I should quit being so tight and spring for a real bed!!! After the 600 mile ride home yesterday, I'm pooped!

Deb, LOL I know what you mean. I have been getting "points" for motels through work and we have been moteling it now for the past 2 years. Still take the trailer for all the goodies just not for tenting "much" anymore.

Glad you had fun!!!!

Bryan

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:TzAEz6VeGjv1mM::www.nor-cal-deaf-bikers.org/events/black-hills-map-01.jpg&t=1&h=196&w=125&usg=__xBkS5dqa0Stc4E1bjkVuMzJRk7E=Type in "Black Hills map" in google and you'll get this map.I don't know if you can enlarge this map....but take Hwy 85 south west out of Lead. You'll go about 5 miles and see a green sign that just says "Rochford". On the map it says county road 17 but you won't see any road sign. Once you get on 17, it's 17 miles to get there.

All other roads around there are gravel. Hope you can find it. If you've been out there, you know the Black Hills maps that you can get anywhere ? That's the map you want.

Thanks, those are great!

Guest tx2sturgis

I do have a few of those maps around here...been visiting the Black Hills for years, but thanks for posting it....saves me from looking for my copy.

Yeah, I think we'll try to make time to go there this year, always looking for a new place to visit.

By the way, have you ever ridden up into the residential areas in Lead? Incredible views of the valley from up there.

I do have a few of those maps around here...been visiting the Black Hills for years, but thanks for posting it....saves me from looking for my copy.

Yeah, I think we'll try to make time to go there this year, always looking for a new place to visit.

By the way, have you ever ridden up into the residential areas in Lead? Incredible views of the valley from up there.

We didn't go through the residential.....because it had just rained really hard and those streets are reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally steep!!! I was scared we would start sliding backwards!!

As were were on the main streets, I would look over and just get the heeby jeebies looking at them!

I know this has been posted a million times, but for anyone reading this thread that has never been to the Black Hills but plans on going......

you have to do Iron Mountain Road, Needles Highway and Spearfish Canyon! Switchbacks, sweepers, and awesome views. They are a must! (They are shown on the map)

Hi Deb We never found that place looks neat, we went south towards Hot Springs and found a little bar in Pringle good food. We found a lot of little places we had never been to when were there in a car. You don't want to find everything when your out there you need a reason to go back and find more. Glad you had a good trip to bad we didn't cross paths for a day. Craig