IGNORED

2- wheel removal system

Guest Swifty

Guest Swifty

That 2 wheel combo removal system works pretty slick; thanks to the guy who posted this idea years ago; I finally got a chance to try it out with 2 new tires going on today.

Time to replace the dry rot tires on my 89. I was thinking of letting a dealer do it, but then remembered this process. I have a hard time with the search feature also, does anyone have the specifics on this? Also, is there an order to remove the side panels?

Thanks.

When I did this method I was working alone.

It took 70 lbs of old barbell weights in the trunk to hold the front tire off the ground. I then lowered the front and took out the weight to make sure it stayed there.

I do not have any nice level pavement to work with so I used a 2 foot x 8 foot chunk of 3/4 plywood that I had laying around and did this all on the lawn. There is just enough clearance to put the front forks down on the ply floor and not hit the chin on the floor.

But this method works great.

Unfortunately I will get to try it again soon.

Time to replace the dry rot tires on my 89. I was thinking of letting a dealer do it, but then remembered this process. I have a hard time with the search feature also, does anyone have the specifics on this? Also, is there an order to remove the side panels?

Thanks.

I did not remove any panels to get both tires off.

Works great. Cupcake did that recently at a Maintenance day. Scooter jacks were all occupied, so he hobbled the first gen and popped tires off real easy.

Word of wisdom here, if you do this, and I have on several Ventures, is make sure that you put a ratchet strap around the centerstand. make sure and pull it forward so that the centerstand cannot collapse backwards and thus the bike fall. It's a pretty slick idea and works in a pinch if you dont have a jack or are stranded and need to get a rim off in the middle of nowhere

:thumbsup2:

Good pics Dave to illustrate this way to change tires which looks much easier and quicker. It was a fiddly and time consuming job to remove my bag and muffler when I changed my back tire at MD.

That 2 wheel combo removal system works pretty slick; thanks to the guy who posted this idea years ago; I finally got a chance to try it out with 2 new tires going on today.