IGNORED

finally got ultra glide mufflers installed on my 1st gen.......woo hoo

painterman67

Hey Dave,

Those mufflers look awsome! :sign woo hoo:If they sound as good as they look, then you scored big time! What did it take to get those puppies to mount up to your stock VR collector? Did it take an adaptor bracket for the muffler mounts?

They look great!

Earl

Finally got this set installed. I love them. its weird putting a set of hd pipes on to quiet the sound.

David

THose look great on there! What is required to get those to bolt on? Would it be possble to get a couple of close ups of the brackets and a quick description>?

Brian

Ill post up some close ups tommorow if I can get enough time. As for mounting them it was rather easy. I went to a muffler shop and explained what I was doing. The man at the shop told me to use 1 3/4 pipe . I thought this was rather large but it worked. BEing that the outside diameter of the collector is 1 1/2 the 1 3/4 is a litle large. His suggestion was to use the 1 3/4 pipe with a standard 1 3/4 exhaust pipe clamp and put a small amount of high heat rtv sealor in the pipe. We bent the pipe to about 16- 20 degrees and cut to fit the lenght. The muffler itself is bolted to the trailer hitch that I had lowerd when I got the trailer, The hitch wings that used to be half heartedly bolted to the bottom of the bag was at the perfect heigth.

All in all it took me about $60 bucks including the mufflers. The most expensive part was the clamps. I bought a set off of ebay that stated it was for the popular hd conversion on the royal stars. Turns out when it arrived at my house it was from a member of this site. Buckeye performance.

Like I said Ill post up close up pics tommorow. Any questions just ask. Pm me or call and Ill answer as much as I can. My number is in my profile.

david

• 4 years later...

When I installed the Roadkings on my 86 I removed the bottom rear bolt from the saddlebags and screwed a 3/8 inch bolt into the RK muffler bracket.I went to the muffler shop and had a 6 degree bend on two 1 1/2 inch pipe about 2 feet long.Iheld the pipes up to the RK muffler and the exhaust on the bike,marked them and cut off the excess pipe.Then I took the RK and the factory mufflers and had the pipes flared to match each muffler and then installed them on the bike.I got 2 muffler clamps from the Harley dealer for about $15 for the pair then finished the job.Total time about one hour.I sold the bike Sunday but here is a couple pictures.