IGNORED

Tall RSV Windshield Needed

First_N_Last

I am fighting with a high speed wobble on my RSV with a Kumho rear tire.

Before I remove the Kumho & throw it away, I want to try a Tall Winshield in place of the short one I have on there now.

Does anyone have a Tall Windshield in a corner collecting dust that they can part with cheaply.

I don't want to spend a lot of money to check this out, because I probably will be buying a replacement rear tire soon.

Anyone? Email and/or PM me please.

Thanks;

John B.

John - the only time I noticed any wobble with my Kumho was in a long sweeping curve at 70 + mph on my way bake from RT memorial week end.

solution ? I put more air in the tire - it's up to almost 50 lbs now.

Wow! 50 lbs.?

Doesn't that worry you? The factory specs are 34lbs max I believe.

I've tried up to 44 lbs. for a short while & could still had a good wobble scare above 75 while quickly changing lanes. Straight on it will wobble above 85.

These speeds are un-corrected speedo speeds.

I'm just hoping to try a Tall Shield as a last step before giving up the Dark Side.

Right now I have a very short extra wide shield.

JohnB

I have the original windshield off my 99. It has been laying around the house for 9 years. I didn't like looking through it. You are more than welcome to it. You will probably have to offer my wife a few bucks for it to make worth her while to ship it to you.

I have the original windshield off my 99. It has been laying around the house for 9 years. I didn't like looking through it. You are more than welcome to it. You will probably have to offer my wife a few bucks for it to make worth her while to ship it to you.

Thanks... I sent you an email.

JohnB

Thanks Chris & thank your wife.

JohnB

Doesn't bother me in the least - remember how much pressure ( and Dawn ) it took to get yours to seal ??

Yes, I remember... right around 125psi was what it took to set the bead.

I just upped mine to 52psi & ran 200 miles on it. The wobbling is only at very high speeds. So high that I am embarrassed to say how fast it was.

I am still trying a tall windshield to see if that will get rid of the rest.

How long have you been riding with that pressure?

JohnB

John - the only time I noticed any wobble with my Kumho was in a long sweeping curve at 70 + mph on my way bake from RT memorial week end.

solution ? I put more air in the tire - it's up to almost 50 lbs now.

Well;

I have continued to ride with the Kumho at 53psi. My bike rides great! Thanks for the tip. The best solution would be for us to find a RunFlat car tire that would fit. I have read that Runflats work very well on Golwings. The RunFlat tires have very stiff sidewalls.

I just installed a stock tall windshield, so I plan on experimenting with tire pressure to find the exact low limit psi where wobble starts again. This Kumho will stay on my bike till late fall as I had planned.

Remember when this tire seated that last time & you jumped? It sounded like a 45. Boy we worked hard to seat that! Thanks for everything you did.

By the way, in the effort of checking other possibilities for causing the wobble, here is the list:

• Added 2 ozs of dynabeads to the front tire - total is now 5 ozs
  • Added 2 ozs of dynabeads to the rear tire - total is now 6 ozs
  • took the mirrors off - but them back on because of no difference
  • took the fork wind deflectors off - but them back on because of no difference
  • checked front wheel bearings
  • adjusted steering head bearings
  • checked all frame bolts & engine mount bolts
  • raised bike on lift repeatedly & checked wheels by spinning
  • raised bike on lift repeatedly & checked sway arm for looseness

That is enough... I am convinced that the soft sidewall characteristics of the Kumho are responsible for the wobble after you & I have no problem around 50psi. Those with no Kumho problems are either very lucky or don't ride hard on high speed expressways.

I'm searching weekly for a better CT, until late fall when I will give up & go to a Venom AM42.

JohnB

Thanks Chris & sandy;

I received the windshield & installed it a day ago. Over the weekend, I will be testing my rear tire with lesser psi for wobble to see if the windshield will make a difference.

Your windshield is in very good condition & I am truly grateful.

JohnB