IGNORED

Windshield Question

BoxerX2

I am looking at replacing my stock windshield with one from Clear View, and read that most people want to see over the top of the windshield, I currently look through the windshield and like that. Why does most prefer to look over the top?

if you do alot of riding in the rain and less than optimal conditions, looking through the windshield can be extremely difficuly. If you're a fair weather rider, looking through the windshield is fine.

Personally, we ake alot of trips for several days at a time and ride no matter what the weather so I opted for the medium Clearview with the vent. I love it. Now that its getting cooler, I'll be putting the stock one on for more protection from the wind and cold.

Guest KitCarson
I am looking at replacing my stock windshield with one from Clear View, and read that most people want to see over the top of the windshield, I currently look through the windshield and like that. Why does most prefer to look over the top?
This is a dangerous subject....almost everyone has a opinion on this one. I like my windshield to be just about 3/4 to one inch above my eye level. There are all kinds of way told to figure this out.......I like to sit on the Bike and put a can or anything about 50 feet in front of the bike.......and at the point I can see over the top edge......that suits me. Fog is bad news on a windshield on a bike....and if you wear glasses like I do also.....they fog up too.......totally blind. Rain is a problem, not at speed......but in town.....and you get if you ride in the rain, a lot of road film on the windshield.....makes you totally blind and is a safety issue. So I like mine as I have said......to where if I want to I can look over the top of it........and by keeping it 3/4 of an inch above eye level.......it keeps enough air foil to launch all but the biggest June bugs up and over your head.....one of those big grasshoppers are a mouth full too:sign20: . The stock Venture shield also has a rainbow problem.....when you wear polarized sunglasses , there is this distorted rainbow all around the outer edge of it . The clearview is also available with a vent in it, and in hot weather a vented windshield is a wonderful invention. As for wind buffet.......you get some with all shields......the lower ones seem to give you a steady wind pressure, especially with a vent....I like that better than the constant buffeting.

Hope that helps.......lot of opinions on this one. Kit

I ride in all kinds of weather, rain , fog, mist, you name it. I use the stock Yamaha shield, looking through it. Yes there are times it fogs up and makes it difficult to see, but I have never felt it a problem. I wear a 1/2 helmet so my only protection is the shield and I ride two up alot. I use pledge on my shield and it beads and sheds nicely. I will probably get a clearview someday so I can use rainx, but do not like the look of the vent, so I won't get that.

Guest KitCarson
I ride in all kinds of weather, rain , fog, mist, you name it. I use the stock Yamaha shield, looking through it. Yes there are times it fogs up and makes it difficult to see, but I have never felt it a problem. I wear a 1/2 helmet so my only protection is the shield and I ride two up alot. I use pledge on my shield and it beads and sheds nicely. I will probably get a clearview someday so I can use rainx, but do not like the look of the vent, so I won't get that.
Hi.......Hey the other day I was in Walmart.....it is new......and a new adventure.....I could actually walk around and look at stuff. shhhhhhhhh.. more people will soon find it.......anyways they had a whole rack of rain-x product......there is one made specifically for plastic windshields now. Just thought I would tell you.......I use lemon pledge also.......for everything.........I wipe the whole bike down with it.......buy it at the dollar store......good stuff pledge is. Kit

Over the past few decades, I,ve hit many low-spots while riding & it instantly fogged my windshield & the road disappeared.....gone.

Usually around dusk & dawn.

Fortunately, I had short enough windshield [inch or so above eye level], that allowed me to just stand on pegs & see road...sometimes curved.

It's what I still use & always will.

I have no use for a windshield 'above' eye level...[keep bugs off helmet?]

Hi.......Hey the other day I was in Walmart.....it is new......and a new adventure.....I could actually walk around and look at stuff. shhhhhhhhh.. more people will soon find it.......anyways they had a whole rack of rain-x product......there is one made specifically for plastic windshields now. Just thought I would tell you.......I use lemon pledge also.......for everything.........I wipe the whole bike down with it.......buy it at the dollar store......good stuff pledge is. Kit

Thanks. I get some and try it on an old OEM cracked shield I have.

rain-x product......there is one made specifically for plastic windshields now.

Be careful - the OEM windshield is Lexan. Unless something specifically says that it is good on Lexan, I wouldn't use it. There are even some plastic cleaners that specifically say "not for use on Lexan".

Guest KitCarson
"PLEXUS" IS A LIFE SAVER IN RAIN IT BEEDS LIKE RAIN-X WITHOUT THAT LEMON FRESH SENT:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I like the lemon fresh (sent) it matches my bright yellow jacket:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:Kit

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but this is worth adding. Clearview windshields are acrylic. They can easily be cut down with a dremmel tool, then the edge sanded smooth, and no one will be able to tell it was customized. I did it with a National Cycle windshield that I had on my Shadow, then confirmed it was an option when I bought a Clearview for my Warrior. I emailed tech support at Clearview, and they replied and confirmed that it can easily be cut with a Dremmel cutting wheel and sanded. It turned out, I didn't have to cut it though since I still could look over it.

I also like to look about 1 inch over the windshield. With the perfect height, the wind and bugs will still go over your head, but you don't have to look through the dirty or foggy windshield.

Some other windshields are polycarbonate. I think they crack, so it is not advised to try to cut them.

"PLEXUS" IS A LIFE SAVER IN RAIN IT BEEDS LIKE RAIN-X

I use Plexus too, but mine doesn't bead up like Rain-X does for my car. Got caught in the fog the other morning and visibility was zilch. Same day ran through rain on the way home. I could see, but it wasn't a fun ride. I hope we get an update on the Rain-X for plastic. I'm too skeptical to try it first.:confused24::confused24:

Guest cwil2988
fogging up and rain .

I got caught in the rain last wednesday, couldn't see through the windshield at all, BTW anyone ever rainx their bike windshields? i heard this doen't do well for some reason, therefore I never tried it

like the "jelly donuts" thing, LMAO

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::happy34:

Guest cwil2988

sorry about therainx thing, didn't read far enough down the page, brain fart on my part.

been getting them more lately, guess its like they say, the mind is the first to go

:think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think:

Check out CeeBailey. They make windshields out of aircraft plastic, and very reasonable. I just ordered one to replace my gouged one. I also cut down my stock shield on my 1100 useing a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade and masking tape. Sanded down thw edge and can't tell it was ever altered.

Mike