IGNORED

Maintenance Day Cherry No More

1joeranger

Well showed up for my first ever Maintenance Day. Pulled into Don's place with my big, heavy trailer wondering what type of reception I would receive. First thing I noticed was a ton of Ventures parked everywhere and people standing everywhere! My girlfriend pointed out the place she wanted us to camp and hopped off to secure it leaving me to negotiate a turnaround! I drove down to the house expecting a turn around and ran right into a dead end with everyone looking. Great, just what I wanted a crowd to critique my turning capabilities with that heavy trailer! Fortunately several Venture riders jumped to my aide and with a lot of encouraging, but conflicting directions, and some pushing and pulling we got her turned around! I did not get a chance to get anyone's name and would have promptly forgot them anyhow but I do want to say a mighty THANK YOU!! The standard reverse that comes with these bikes just sucks and I would have been totally embarrassed without the aide.

After camp set up we toured the bikes snapping pictures and got in line for the brake fluid change. Bobby, "Naked Rider" was kind enough to do the maintenance while letting me hold things, get in the way, and ask a lot of redundant questions! Not only was he tolerant but he also supplied me with some DOT4 since I had brought DOT3. Big Thanks, Bobby!!

The I was ready for Ken, V7Goose, who was adjusting carb's. For those who have not meet Ken, you will find he is a very personable guy. This "guy" drives 1200 miles to this MD works tirelessly all through the day, puts up with ignorant people, asking all kind of questions, such as myself, and then is rewarded with a 1200 mile trip home! He sync my carbs adjusted my pilot screws, and taught me a little more about my bike. Freebird and I tried to quiz him about getting my AIS system off but he just wasn't biting!! By the way for all of us out there that owe Ken for working on our bikes he does like cigars! I plan on having some for him next MD!

Besides the maintenance I finally got to meet some of the people from this website such as Earl "Skydoc". Earl has supplied a lot of us with an upgrade kit for our clutches and he had my correct size spring there. What a great guy he is. Learned a lot about brakes and clutches while talking with him.

Then there was "Gunboat" or Don! After reading Don's comments about being a darksider I took the plunge and have not looked back. Enjoyed talking with him immensely! Like him I am fortunate enough to have a daughter, now 18, who still loves to go riding with me! Now that is a blessing!! During our conversation I told Don that a center stand for my bike was on my wish list. He is giving me his! Will not take payment for it just wants me to donate to this site! That is why I am a member here, people with hearts like Don's.

Speaking of Don, there is the other Don, "Freebird" our host,! What a classy guy, very humble, feels honored to support us with this fantastic website! I so enjoyed listening to him and Rick Butler tell stories before we left the next day. Big, big Thanks to him and his wife for this shindig!!!

I did not get to meet all! There was Carbon One who I had purchased some braces from. I was told he was there but did not catch up to him. (to busy running my mouth!) Did not see "Wanderer" either! I also am sure I have not thanked everyone who helped me out or took the time to say hi. What a great bunch!! For those who have not made the pilgrimage I highly recommend this annual MD. You will learn so much and meet the very best!!

Edited by 1joeranger
Not finished

Well showed up for my first ever Maintenance Day. Pulled into Don's place with my big, heavy trailer wondering what type of reception I would receive. First thing I noticed was a ton of Ventures parked everywhere and people standing everywhere! My girlfriend pointed out the place she wanted us to camp and hopped off to secure it leaving me to negotiate a turnaround! I drove down to the house expecting a turn around and ran right into a dead end with everyone looking. Great, just what I wanted a crowd to critique my turning capabilities with that heavy trailer! Fortunately several Venture riders jumped to my aide and with a lot of encouraging, but conflicting directions, and some pushing and pulling we got her turned around! I did not get a chance to get anyone's name and would have promptly forgot them anyhow but I do want to say a mighty THANK YOU!! The standard reverse that comes with these bikes just sucks and I would have been totally embarrassed without the aide.

After camp set up

I'm thinking you need to go on with your story,,, but you may have run out of ink.

What would have happened if you had left it sitting there by the garage? Where do you think the pond monsters came from,,,,,,VentureRiders?????????

But in all, welcome and enjoy the family. We're here to help you,,,, maybe from the frying pan into the fire,,, but we will help!!!!!

rjalamo,

it was a pleasure meeting you, don't feel bad, after you killed that damn horse fly that was biting me and going back for seconds, I think I dropped my bike keys in the grass somewhere by where we were chatting about going to chi town. good thing my bike was loaded on the trailer already :). I hope your trip was a good one. I called Don and he and a couple of guys looked for my keys but no luck, but I managed to get a couple keys made when i got home :). It too was my first MD and will say its the best bunch of people i have ever met. I look forward to going next year.

Hate you lost so keys but it was a pleasure as well to met ya! Look me up next time you are heading east! Like you I had to go job hunting over the past year or so. Never fun, rather scary as the bills pile up but that other door always seems to open!

I knew you were there but I keep running my mouth and getting sidetracked and trying to get maintenance done! We will definitely hook up next time!!

You Bet! :fingers-crossed-emo Destin ain't that far from here. I might want to go for lunch in Freeport at the Outpost - Whadya think?

Edited by Wanderer
add text

well Ray it was pleasure to meet you to and thanks for the kind words. if you had been their an hour earlier you would have heard me asking the dumb questions (and there is no such thing as a dumb question got to learn some how) because i was showed how to do it six bikes before yours lol lol. hope to meet you again either down the rode or at the next MD.:thumbsup2:

I cannot believe that Naked Rider was there and I did not get to meet him. At least I do not think I met him. Too many people to get to know in such little time.

Yama Mama:Laugh:

Ain't that the truth. I know I talked to a bunck of folks who's names currenty escape me but going thru all the pics I know I meet some, seen em wrenching or whatever.

Larry

rjalamo, I remember meeting you, but I can't remember what you look like.(Edit: I see you in the pics above now, DUH...lol) There were sooo many faces there.

Peggy, I really wanted to meet you. I think my wife did. I saw you a few times, but you were pretty busy, and I got so caught up in my work, that I didn't get to mingle much.

Next time, I'll try harder. I also have an idea to help me put the faces with the names. Gonna use it at the Int'l Rally.

Saw you, and your wife, when you were getting ready to leave! Hope you had a great ride back! We went slow and easy but the heat was still murder! I was surprised to find Florida heat in Ohio!!

Hey, you didn't answer me about lunch. You're buying. :rotf:

You know everytime I go to the Outpost some flousey always manages to drop her top and show me her ha ha's. Don't you just hate that!? So you bet! Sounds like another bad boys behaving badly adventure!! Don't forget though I'm still in Chattanooga till my daughter graduates college! So we can do a long weekend to Destin n back!!!

You know everytime I go to the Outpost some flousey always manages to drop her top and show me her ha ha's. Don't you just hate that!? So you bet! Sounds like another bad boys behaving badly adventure!! Don't forget though I'm still in Chattanooga till my daughter graduates college! So we can do a long weekend to Destin n back!!!

No, I didn't know that. So when you get ready, hit me up. I'm due for some ha ha's. I'm back in Luverne, AL waiting on a big time job offer. :rotf: