IGNORED

Venture Touring Society

MasterGuns

Yes, the VTS changed to the MTA several years ago. When Yamaha stopped production of the Venture in 1993, their membership numbers started declining. They moved to an "all bikes" format and renamed the club the Motorcycle Touring Association. I have been to a number of their rallies and they are a good group of folks. My membership has lapsed right now but I was a member as recently as last year and will most likely renew. I don't participate with them much any longer simply because I don't have enough time but I still support them as I can.

Rick Butler is still a member there and is a past president and board member. I was also president and board member for a while and still have many friends in the organization.

Their website is http://www.mtariders.com

I was a member of VTS for several years back in the 80's. I went to some of their yearly meets and they always had a large gathering, if I remember correctly I think the attendance was something like 1,000 bikes. At one time is was set up similar to the way the Goldwing group is now and of course the the Star group.

I still have the patches and pins somewhere. Think I even have a had somewhere.

BOO

The VTS was a great group of folks, and we had some great rallies in the "old days". There were things that were difficult to cope with, such as organizational folks at local levels. I headed up New York State for 7 years, and we got to 5 chapters before I moved out of NY, and we had some great times within the groups as well as interacting with adjacent states and Canadian provinces.

It was very different from the Venturerider program, in that there were meetings, dues, etc....a little too organized at times. I have not been involved with the MTA as I was out of biking for several years, but any good group is....a good group, and they DO like Ventures, so cannot be ALL BAD!!!:dancefool::thumbsup2:

• 3 years later...

Batman,

I see you have an '88 that was triked. If I can be so nosy, who did it and what did it cost you? I have an '86 and having turned 71, would like to investigate the increased safety and stability that brings. Please respond here and at gmta@sccoast.net as well.

Thanks.

POLEDAR:fingers-crossed-emo

That was a fun bunch of people. I attended several national and regional rallies. We had lots of fun as a group then. Even over rode the GWRRA at Americade one year by leading the parade through Lake George!! I have a lot of those pins on my vest and in a drawer dedicated to "stuff" from those years. :lightbulb:

I was a member in the 80s when I first rode a venture here are pics of my vest that dont fit after 20+ years

HAHA What you saying after 20 years ?

Didn't take me that long but I am still practising ! :sign20:

• 2 years later...

We had a Venture Touring society chapter in Decatur, AL and each year we had around 40 bikes mostly 1st gen Ventures going to Pigeon Forge Tennessee to the Dolly Wood where Yamaha had tents and motor homes set up and there would be thousands of bikes in attendance. Yamaha screwed the pooch when they stopped doing this and did not evolve the Venture in the original platform. The Royal Star just never cut it for me and I moved on to the FJR1300's after I sold my 1991 Venture Royale.

People have begged for an all new touring bike from Yamaha but I guess this is just the thanks we got after supporting Ventures long past their being upgraded.