IGNORED

Taking a long time to start my RSTD

Du-Rron,

I checked the main fuse box Left side behind the drivers leg under the cover

I checked the Second Fuse Box and the black box with two plugs that is on the right side behind the front lower

All plugs and boxes free of dust and dry as a bone sitting in the sun. Plugs had the dielectric gel on the outside edges of plug. Seemed to work like it is meant to keep out water or moisture. Male & Female sides looked clean and free of any type of corrosion.

I did not check the plug for the Rectifier but I will look at it.

How and where are the plugs for the Coils. I have seen the Coils but never really followed the wires to see where they plug connections are.

Do you know where the pick up coil plug is located. I would like to find and check it for water and corrosion.

Stator wires are soldered with no plug as I did not trust the plug.

Thank You for the response and wish me luck.

Brian Shoemaker

If you yourself replaced the stator then you were also looking at the pickup coil.

The spade connectors for the coils run back to the ignitor box.

here is some pics to help you on the road.

coil.jpg

Ignition1.jpg

Iginition2.jpg

Iginition3.jpg

Some starter fluid would get you past that first hard start if you are on the road.

140,000 miles, when did you adjust the valves last? I would check the compression just for fun. And checking the exhaust temps with one of those infrared thermometers would tell you if a cylinder is not working as hard as the others. Your problem may be electrical but if the bike is not up to snuff mechanically, it will contribute to the issue. Just thinking and wild guessing.

Need help as I am on a long trip and the bike is not wanting to get spark first thing in the morning!

History

Before leaving May 28th

New Air Filters

New Fuel Filter

New Spark Plugs

Can of Seafoam

Second day out had to ride in some of the heaviest rain I think I have ever rode in, Lasted 2 1/2 hours. Bike never missed a beat.

Next morning seemed a little slow to crank but nothing of concern.

Fourth day rode thru water on the road between 6 and 10 inches deep. Never missed a beat for the remainder of the day.

Next morning seemed a little slower to start.

Fifth day I changed the fuel pump thinking I might not be getting proper fuel pressure, since I had never changed it with 140,000 miles on it.

Battery Load Tested 12.3 Volts fully charged and no bad cells.

Voltage meter shows charging at 13.2 at idle and 13.7-13.9 while running down the road.

Drained the carb. bowls to make sure no water in fuel.

Stopped in Hamilton, MT Yamaha shop to discuss with mechanic. Since it only happened in the mornings he could not check anything but he gave me a spark plug and told me to check for spark first thing in the morning. I did the next morning and found that the two rear plugs wires were not getting any spark. Did not check the front due to easy of getting to. After finding no spark he told me it was probably the Stator even though it was charging, it also was part of the ignition signals. SO I replaced the Stator in Sandpoint, ID.

Problem not solved.

I have been getting someone to let put my jumper cables on their truck and I have to let the bike's starter turn over for 15 seconds or more several times and then all of sudden it starts.

I spent the last week in BC & AB along the Icefields Parkway.

Finally back in the states and left Glacier National Park this morning. I took the bike 12 different times of grinding on the starter before it finally fired.

Starting to get worried that it is going to just not start and / or damage the starter.

Wish the Yamaha dealer would have told me to change the Pickup Coil / Pick-Up Assy while I was changing the Stator!!

How do you try and test or diagnose while on the road away from home.

Once the bike cranks in the morning I have not had a problem starting for the rest of the day even if we go for a hike or long lunch. Starting too really worry that I will get stuck out in the middle of no where.

Your problem was exactly the same as mine. After checking everything-new plugs, new fuel filter, carbs cleaned, valves checked, changed ecu with friends bike, checked all electrical-- and it was the pickup coil on the stator.

Thanks to all with input.

After looking at all the options, I think the best option I have is to just load the truck & trailer in a U-Haul and get to the house where I can get in my clean garage with the correct tools to find and fix issue.

I got a U-Haul truck in Bozeman, MT and got the bike and trailer loaded in it, will head home in the morning. Back to Ellijay, Ga.

Scott, Thanks for the last post, I sent you a PM and hopefully we can discuss your issue and fix.

Du-Rron, Thanks for calling me today and discussing the issue and possible fixes. After getting the Ignitor Unit out of the bike and setting in the hotel room cleaned all contacts and put a hair dryer on it, then back in the bike. Then I broke down the (4) Spark Plug Caps, I still do not have fire to the spark plugs. So, I went and found a U-Haul Truck and loaded to haul home.

I will follow up on my findings when I get home with the proper tools.

Thanks again

Brian Shoemaker

• 5 weeks later...

Great news finally got the bike washed and broke down to access the plug for the Pick-up Coil. It is bad as I expected and as Scott has had first hand experence with.

I got the new pick up coil and gaskets and oil and new spark plugs put in. I let the fuel pump pressurize and hit the start button, It fired right up without hesitation.

I would like to let everyone know that I appreciate all the discussion and thoughts about the possible issue.

I would also like to stress to anyone whom might be having starting issues to look at this post. I have a 2004 Midnight Royal Star Venture with 140,000 mile on it. It has always been garage kept and serviced by my self. I have never seen a issue like mine where the bike had a hard time starting in the morning. But after starting in the morning it never had an issue for the remainder of the day. I know that the bikes are solid and very seldom have an issue, especially if you ride them on some sort of regular basics.

So lets talk about the issue. Slow or Hard Start.

Some say fuel pump

Some say fuel filter

Some say Carbs

Some say Battery

Some say ECU

Some say Spark Plug Wires

Some say Coil Packs

Some say Pick-Up Coil that is next to the Stator

All good points but in my case if you pull the spark plug wire and put a spare plug on it and you have no spark. I would test the Pick-up Coil. It is located in the area of the fuel pump & fuel filter. The metal clip that is attached to the bolt on the engine side of the drive shaft. It is easy to access if you remove the cowls on each side of engine. Remove the interior plastic painted cover. Remove the fuel pump. Remove the fuel filter. Remove the radiator reservoir. There are several wires in the metal clip. One is the 3 wire from the stator. One is the two wire from the pick up coil White Plug. One is the two wire coil Black Plug.

Pull the 2 wire plug apart and test the Pick Up Coil.

I would bet that the pick up coil is bad and not sending signal to the ECU.

Therefore the bike is not getting fire to the spark plugs.

All is well the bike is running like it was new.

Thanks again to all.