IGNORED

Aux Lights Mounting Position

For those with auxilliary driving/fog lamps...:puzzled:...where and how do you have them mounted?

I've read several articles on wiring them and I'm ok in that department. What I'm mulling over is :think: where did you mount them? Do you have them mounted to the fairing?, clamped to the engine guards? Did you have to drill holes in the fairing or is there a specific mounting bracket?

Any advise is welcome......and as I've so often read here "pics would be better."

I forget now, maybe someone will remember better than me, but either on this list or the Venturers list, someone sells a Gen 1 light mount that replaces the horns and has a place for the horns. The bracket works like a charm, the lights are down low so they work well, and they look good. I just wired mine to the battery and put a switch on the dash somewhere.

Spend the money on decent lights, the new LED ones seem great, and maybe they won't have bulbs that burn out from the vibration. But cheap lights have no control over the beam.

My first set of cheap Wal Mart lights lit up everything INCLUDING the mirror side of the mirrors! They would light up the underside of trees near the road, the ditch, my face and everything but the lane in front of me. Bought a better set and they work great and look better.

Squidley used to make the brackets, but has gone out of business. He may have one laying around?? Check with him. Most mount the lights next to the horns, but I have seen them all over the place. Just try to mount them as low as possible.

For those with auxilliary driving/fog lamps...:puzzled:...where and how do you have them mounted?

I've read several articles on wiring them and I'm ok in that department. What I'm mulling over is :think: where did you mount them? Do you have them mounted to the fairing?, clamped to the engine guards? Did you have to drill holes in the fairing or is there a specific mounting bracket?

Any advise is welcome......and as I've so often read here "pics would be better."

Instead of aux lights, you should think about getting a HID headlight. Guarantee that with this headlight you don't need driving lights, and others will definately see you.

Instead of aux lights, you should think about getting a HID headlight. Guarantee that with this headlight you don't need driving lights, and others will definately see you.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I was thinking about getting driving lights but I went the HID route, and it is amazing what the diference is.

The night visibility on my bike with just the one 35W HID is better than on my P/U with both the high and lo beam + driving lights on.

Yes the one 35W HID bulb is more light than the six 55W bulbs in my truck.

If I do decide to get driving lights I will get something that uses an H3 bulb, the most common bulb, and put in two 35W HID for the driving lights.

Although with 3 HIDs burning the flow of photons coming out the front of the bike may just slow it down to the speed of a 2nd gen.:stirthepot:

Forget about the "cool" purple or blue look, it is light that you are after, get a HID setup close to 6000K, make sure it is cycle rated and is Bi-xenon so that you retain Hi and Lo beam.

There is a writeup that I did on the installation in my 1st gen.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45603

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I was thinking about getting driving lights but I went the HID route, and it is amazing what the diference is.

The night visibility on my bike with just the one 35W HID is better than on my P/U with both the high and lo beam + driving lights on.

Yes the one 35W HID bulb is more light than the six 55W bulbs in my truck.

If I do decide to get driving lights I will get something that uses an H3 bulb, the most common bulb, and put in two 35W HID for the driving lights.

Although with 3 HIDs burning the flow of photons coming out the front of the bike may just slow it down to the speed of a 2nd gen.:stirthepot:

Forget about the "cool" purple or blue look, it is light that you are after, get a HID setup close to 6000K, make sure it is cycle rated and is Bi-xenon so that you retain Hi and Lo beam.

There is a writeup that I did on the installation in my 1st gen.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45603

I went with the 5000k one.

I have the right light pointed toward the ditch to spot Deer and the left side pointed up to attract cage drivers. I also mounted a blinking LED Brake light on the top of my trunk. After being hit by cars twice I want to be seen!!!!!

I got mine super low. I bought a set of the cheap highway pegs and ripped the pegs off clamped them to the engine crash bar low and mounted my lights there. Works great and really makes a difference getting them a few inches off the ground.

I'll snap a detailed daytime shot today and upload later.

Note: those are my custom LED driving/fog lights. 6 watts of light and as bright as the 35watt halogens. The yellow one get's everyone's attention.

Edited by timgray

Squidley used to make the brackets, but has gone out of business. He may have one laying around?? Check with him. Most mount the lights next to the horns, but I have seen them all over the place. ---

I have attached a picture of another option that I came up with for my 1st gen. I replaced the top bolt holding the aluminum side cover with a longer bolt to mount the lights and with my running lights, I also inserted a half inch spacer for better clearance from the rad shroud. Works pretty good for me except I have to remove the lights to remove my lower fairing. also, one of the members noted in a post that these aluminum side cover bolts are screwed into light aluminum, although I have never had a problem with them.