IGNORED

Oil Level Puzzler????

Here's a head scratcher....

Pre-oil change, my oil level was right to the top of the window with very little bubble. I got it nice and warm, got the bike to level on my lift, removed the fill cap, popped the drain bolt and pulled the old filter. I let everything drain for a good 30 minutes until the dripping all but stopped, and then put exactly 3.5 qts of new oil in it, including a little bit in the new filter as all good little mechanics do.

After I fired it up for about 5 minutes and then let it sit, the window again showed that the oil was right to the top of the window when the bike was again level - virtually no bubble visible .

Is it possible that even after all I did, that some old oil is still in the engine? If so, how do you get it fully drained? The old oil filled 3 of the empty quart containers and about 6oz. of a 4th. Not quite 3 1/2 quarts.

Can't think of anything I did wrong, but this one's got me stumped.

I recall vaguely that someone here mentioned that the configuration of the oil pan makes it darn near impossible to get every bit of oil out when yer doing a oil change.

I don't worry bout it anymore....3 1/2 quarts....new filter....roll on the throttle and ride.

Boomer....who sez ya might want to check for vagrant pygmies in the area....them little ankle-biters are known for messing with Yammi's cuz they think Willy G (Harley) is de cats meow.

Your old filter contained some old oil. When you put some in the new filter you duplicated this condition. I used to put 3 1/2 qts in the crankcase with a dry new filter. After running for a few minutes and shutting off the oil level would be halfway up the sight glass.

It doesn't hurt the motor to put on a new dry filter IMO. If you can't stand to do that, take 3 1/2 qts, fill the new filter and put the rest in the crankcase.

Also, I think the oil drains out better on the sidestand due to the location of the drain plug. I always changed my oil with the bike supported by the sidestand.

Edited by royalstarjac

There is also another drain plug if you really want to drain out more of the old oil. It is the bottom bolt on the rear left side cover (I forget its proper name off hand). That is why that one bolt has a copper washer on it for a gasket. The bolt hole is drilled through to the oil pan for the transmission.

The little bit of oil that does come out will make a good mess and is really not worth the effort unless you had some other issue like gas or antifreeze in the oil. I think most of us are changing the oil long before it really NEEDs to be changed so a little bit of "old" oil left in is not an issue.

I do not measure the oil I put in, I just fill to the center of the sight glass, take a quick 2 mile loop through the park, top it back off to the center of the glass. The remainder of that last quart gets burned in the lawnmower.

Your old filter contained some old oil. When you put some in the new filter you duplicated this condition. I used to put 3 1/2 qts in the crankcase with a dry new filter. After running for a few minutes and shutting off the oil level would be halfway up the sight glass.

It doesn't hurt the motor to put on a new dry filter IMO. If you can't stand to do that, take 3 1/2 qts, fill the new filter and put the rest in the crankcase.

Also, I think the oil drains out better on the sidestand due to the location of the drain plug. I always changed my oil with the bike supported by the sidestand.

That's the way I've always done it. The 3 1/2 includes the 2 or 3 oz I put in the filter before I screw it on.

Oh well. I'm not going to sweat it, I was just curious if anybody had a good explanation for this, since I always try to follow OEM specs on these things.

Thanks! :thumbsup: