IGNORED

My audio is living its own live!

ARES

Hello there in America.

First i want to introduce myself.

I'm from Belgium, work in the military and my hobbies are enduro (KTM EXC 300) and my RSV 2001.

I own one of the probably 80 RSV's here in my country. After 2001 the RSV was no more imported in Belgium.

Now my problem!

When i put on my audio radio, CD or cassette it works fine.

But after 10' everything begins to live its own live!

The radio begins to peep and on the cover of the remote i get all the abbreviations (sp, hs, loud,...).

If the cd is playing it constantly skips to another song and the cassette is continiously turning from one side to the other.

While reading these forum i've used the magicly dielectric grease but it won't help:crying:

I suppose that my problem has began while i was starting up my flat battery with a batterycharger?

Does someone oversea can help me?

Because here in my country the Yamahadealers have no experience.

Thanks for reading my message:thumbsup2:

It almost sounds like your select button is loose or stuck. And maybe vibrating and messing things up. Spray some contact cleaner in the button and push it a bunch of times to try and free it. then turn it back on and see if it still does it. :fingers-crossed-emo

You have something that nobody else seems to have,,,, might be a smart thing to add to the list of add-ons,,,, never know, if you word it right you might confuse someone enough that he'll pay lots extra for it when it's time to sell,,,, but in the meantime you'd have to live with it, so maybe we'd better help you fix it EH?

Guest tx2sturgis

Welcome to the forum here...interesting syntax...I'd love to actually HEAR your accent someday.

Now down to 'bidness':

Since it plays ok when the bike is stationary, and acts badly when moving, it seems to indicate a physical problem in the cables, or possibly the 'remote'. But since it started doing this after some voltage transients, that seems to indicate an electronic failure of some sort.

So...I'm stumped. I guess one thing to try is to disconnect the battery and let the radio electronics completely reset. I'd imagine that 15 minutes would be long enough. This probably wont help, but is simple to try as a first measure.

You mention the CD player. I would try to disconnect it from the connector inside the fairing, (the audio AND the control cable) and see if the radio/tape unit begins to act normal again. I dont have one of those on my bike...so cant give you any guidance there.

Next, go over ALL the audio/radio cables and connectors again, inside and outside the fairing. Cycle the connectors and use contact cleaner on ALL the connectors, then coat again with dialectric grease. This grease wont actually 'repair' a problem with a connector, it only helps keep out moisture and corrosion when the fairing leaks in the rain, and it will. If there is already corrosion inside the connectors, the physical movements used when disconnecting them, and then spraying the contact cleaner in the openings, and then reconnecting them...SHOULD help eliminate the connector problems...IF thats where the problem lies. You COULD turn on the ACC and let the radio or CD play and then physically move or 'jiggle' those connectors, listening for any 'peeps' or beeps from the radio or CD. After doing all this, whether it fixes the issue or not, be sure to 'zip-tie' all the connectors to each other and to the hardware inside the fairing...that keeps them from shaking and working loose when your actually riding the bike.

Its possible the radio control head actually has some electronic gremlin, that COULD be triggered by the AVC ( automatic volume control) when the bike begins moving. This circuit will adjust the volume depending on signals from the speed sensor, thru the speedometer head unit. I havent heard of one acting this way...but I suppose its possible.

If everything you try is unsuccessful, it may be that the control unit is bad. But ordering a new one wont be cheap and may or may not fix it. And by the way...many of the dealers here have no experience either....sometimes we get a 'deer in the headlights' look...other times its more of a, 'did you buy it here? no? take it back where you bought it' kind've of response. Since there aren't that many RSV's anywhere, and they don't have a lot of failures, most dealers end up guessing like we do. Too bad the electronics weren't designed with a plug-in 'diagnostics' mode...to record 'trouble codes'. Hmmm....

Whatever you find, please let us know...we'd like to hear the results.

Good luck.

Edited by tx2sturgis

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who was interested in my radioproblem.

Untill now the problem is not solved.

I have ordered the original dielectric grease in the Netherlands, because in Belgium it is not avaliable. I greased every possible contact with it. Then i've opened my controler and sprayed a lot of "lectro-tech super corr-b (used by the US airforce) corrosion preventive compound, water displacing film.

After this i have put a brand new battery in my bike.

The bike itself has not been moved for two months. So the problem is not while riding it!

The radio, cd or cassette plays until 10 minutes perfectly and then the problem begins again.

I think it is inside the remote control.

Until now no further solution has found, and i have visited 3 Yam shops. Nobody can help me:95: