IGNORED

North to Alaska

Gary N.

If you want to really see that part of Alaska, schedule your ferry trip so you can get off and spend a few days at the different stops on the way to Juneau. Last time I figured it, it only added about 10% to the total Ferry cost. They will work with you to arrange your schedule.

Don't try to see it all, you can't! We spent 4+ months in 2007 and still didn't see the parts you will see on the Inland Passage. It's a trip to remember.

:backinmyday:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and somewhere alWong the way I want to see a picture of a VERY dirty burgundy RSV.

You might just get your wish Dave. Made it to Juneau this morning and it was raining and they are calling for rain for the next several days. We had a nice relaxing ride on the ferry. Watched the sun set on the top deck last night around 10:30. It was still light enough to see at 11:30.

In Anchorage on a non-cloudy Summer night you can drive all night without your headlights on. In Fairbanks last night they played the 105th edition of the Midnight Sun Baseball game. It's college players in the summer league up here. The game starts at midnight and is played without artificial light (i.e. Just the sun).

OH - and it always rains in Juneau. I don't know why the pay the weatherman there.

They say it rains 2/3's of the time in Juneau. I think they are right.

Went to visit the touristy down town area the other night. NOTICE....if your S.O., wife, or girl friend likes bling..... don't go there. Every other store is selling jewelery. And talk about high pressure. Mary found rings in three stores that she "loved and just had to have".... Yes dear, but there are several more stores to look at and you might find one you love better. After about the fifth store and listening to all the pitches I think they finally wore her down. But we haven't left town yet.

We are staying out by the airport and it was raining pretty hard the other day so I went for a walk and found the coolest hardware store I've ever been in. They had everything from jack hammers to 12' (foot) X 1 1/8" all thread rod. I found some real nice fingerless, deerskin leather gloves (made in USA) for $7.00.

Yesterday we went for the Tracy Arm Fjord glacier tour. WOW, is all I can say about that. It was cloudy when we got there but it did stop raining for a couple of hours. We saw lots of seals and quite a few whales on the way back.

I've also discovered that they make pretty good beer here. I really like the Alaskan Amber.

We're moving on the Haines this afternoon for a couple of days.

I've included a few pics of the glacier tour from yesterday.

Don't forget to pick up a genuine Ulu knife while you're shopping. Buy two. One tourest model for the kitchen counter when you get back, and a real one made by an Ulu maker for the memory shelf.... No Alaskan would be caught dead without his Ulu.... :thumbsup2:

We took the ferry from Juneau to Haines last Friday and spent two nights there. Yesterday we headed out on the Haines Hwy to Haines Junction. What a beautiful ride. At 3400 feet we were above the snow line and driving in the clouds. We made it as far as Burwash landing where we found the "Possum Lodge". It was clean and cheap (for up here) and the only place around.

Today we headed north for the Alaskan border and we had heard the road was bad and to not go too fast but I wasn't ready for what we got into. The perma frost heaves the road and leaves pot holes the size of Smart Cars. The first few miles wasn't too bad but then it started to rain and I couldn't see too dodge the holes and woop dee doos so we stopped in Beaver Creek to wait for the rain to stop. Talking to a couple who came south and they didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the next 30 or so miles. Road contruction and rain has turned that section to soup. He said he almost lost it three times. He was pulling a trailer and thought it may have added to the problem. His mufflers were working like pontoons.

Wish me luck.

Yesterday we left Beaver Creek Yukon and continued on the Alaska hwy. north. The rain stopped during the night so we left early to try and get through the constuction before the traffic picked up. It wasn't too bad until just after the US border inspection station. From there we had to follow a pilot car through about ten miles of snot. We had one close call but we made it. Sorry no pics of this area. Mary was too busy holding on.

From there to Tok it wasn't too bad. Just some more frost heaves and a few spots of broken pavement. We turned south on the Richardson hwy. to Valdez where we stayed last night and tonight. The Richardson is the first hwy. built to reach the interior of Alaska and it goes through some of the nicest country I've ever seen. Canyons, glaciers, waterfalls. Here are a few pics from yesterday. Some show how the frost heaves the road.

Tomorrow we're off to Anchorage.