IGNORED

Really close call with a deer tonight

Venturous Randy

Well, like several other encounters on here lately, I had mine tonight. I was on a two lane 45 mph highway about 100 to 150 feet behind a car. He suddenly braked and I did also and I saw a deer move from the front of his car off to the right. Then, I realized there was another deer that was now going from my left to right between the car and me. I was already slowing some, but had to jump on the brakes real hard. I could not have missed this deer more than a couple of inches. Then out of the left corner of my eye, I saw another deer coming into the road that ran between me and the car behind me. Fortunately, the car behind me was not tailgating, but I am sure he saw everything. This is the closest I have ever come to hitting anything on this bike in 110,000 miles. I really don't see how I missed it. I did sideswipe a deer that was coming up into the road several years ago in my wife's Maxima and then two weeks later t-boned a black bear in my 280ZX that ran across the road.

I have enjoyed riding at night, especially after upgrading to the MKII headlight with PIAA bulb along with some good driving/fog lights along with having successful cataract surgery that has helped my night vision tremendously. But, I must say, this one scared me.

RandyA

Hey Randy, So glad you you're safe and sound. I too like riding at night but the way the deer seem to be moving this spring, think I'll stick to day light or busy roads for the next few weeks. And when I rebuild my front lights, will definetly be upping the wattage!!!!!! Here's to keeping the rubber side down :thumbsup2:

Haven't seen deer on the road this yr at night...buut I faced something alot more scary... In March hubby and I were out one Sunday eve with friends and we parted ways around 10pm, Hubby and I headed home and were on 247 N in southern Bibb County on an unlighted section of road when all of a sudden a sofa appeared out of nowhere in the headlights, there was no chance to avoid the debris, it was scattered over 3 lanes and there was traffic next to us. We still don't know how we avoided the big chunks of the sofa and still didn't loose traction on the foam. We were in the car, but it was the longest 30 secs or so I've dealt with in recent memory....

...We still don't know how we avoided the big chunks of the sofa ...

Actually, the simple answer is...we didn't. I nicked one of the pieces with the left front fender...but it was such a light nick it didn't leave any damage to the car. I swear that's the weirdest thing I ever saw on the road to date tho. There was no sign or warning that there'd be a sofa strewn about the road. No damaged cars, no pickups around with missing furniture waiting around for the pieces to be collected. No Semi around (only thing I can figure that could spread stuffing, cushions, and 2x4s across 3 lanes of traffic for about a quarter mile) Not even debris cleanup crews or police cruisers. I still have no clue how I managed to get through that without losing control (of either the car or my bowels:starz:), running over a board, plowing head-on into any of the in-tact sections of sofa (there were several), jumping a cushion, or puncturing any of the tires on a staple/nail.

I think I'll make it a point to avoid riding that section of 247 at night once I get my bike.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.....nor the chaise they leave behind in the roadway!:dancefool:

i've hit three live deer, one on a scooter and one dead one in my ranger. and had probably a hundred near misses. we live in deer country. they run and graze in our subdivisions. wiped out my honda helix on a big buck. i ride on constant deer watch. last month one came up along side me running and cut across in front of me just as i thought he would. i caught him out of the corner of my eye. i was on my bike doing about 35. i was ready for him and just missed him after hard braking. i never realized how much of a problem deer were around here until the missouri river flooded last year and they had to close down some highways because herds of deer were on the road. :depressed::2133:

Saw 3 deer in differant spots this morning coming to work. I leave at 4am so it is still full dark. The state has decided they don't have the money to mow the medians or shoulders so the grass is waist high on both sides. I spend more time scanning the shoulders than watching the road.

I called the DOT last year to complain and the guy said it wasn't a "safety issue". I told him it is if you ride a motorcycle at night!:soapbox:

Randya,

Sure glad you didn't hit that deer or any deer on your bike. I don't think you need any bodily harm at this time in your life. I am hoping you have a fresh start with nothing but enjoyable adventures come your way for many years to come.

I look forward to seeing you soon. :thumbsup2:

Glad you are OK...

I park my bike before the sun starts to go down...way too many critters out there to surprise you...and sofa's too. I came upon a tanker hose in the road once.

If you leave early...you will have get enough miles in for the day by the time it starts to get dark...and a lot safer.

:thumbsup:

just got back from my morning ride, and darn near hit another deer. it was standing on the side of the road and darted across in front of me, just like i knew it would. i hit the brakes hard early and missed it by about 10 feet. i think the deer are out to get me.:depressed:

• 2 months later...

Glad your ok!

We will soon be in the worst possible time for deer accidents as when hunters start going into the woods the deer start to get very skiddish.

Just start counting the number of deer laying on the road now as compared to oh... say mid October to the end of November. As a general rule I try not to ride my bike after dusk or before dawn... My deer wreck happened 4/28/2010 at 7 PM, a little before dusk.:starz:

Glad your ok!

We will soon be in the worst possible time for deer accidents as when hunters start going into the woods the deer start to get very skiddish.

Just start counting the number of deer laying on the road now as compared to oh... say mid October to the end of November. As a general rule I try not to ride my bike after dusk or before dawn... My deer wreck happened 4/28/2010 at 7 PM, a little before dusk.:starz:

It really not the hunters. It has more to do with the crops being taken out and moving the deer around and the fact that the rut is starting and the bucks chasing does and establishing there territory.

Like others have noted, there are definitely more deer on the roads in my area. We have spend a bunch of the summer near North Bay (northern Ontario) and the amount of deer that we see on and along the roads in this area is scary. It may be a silly question, but is avoidance just a matter of good lights and slower speed, or are there other riding tips to reduce the risk of "deer damage"?

It may be a silly question, but is avoidance just a matter of good lights and slower speed, or are there other riding tips to reduce the risk of "deer damage"?

Paying attention can make a big difference, but above all, I simply believe luck has a lot to do with it. I had another encounted about two weeks ago on a Sunday morning when a deer walked into the road out of a field. I was simply not paying as close attention as I should have, but was still able to slow down and not have to do anything drastic to avoid it. If I had been a couple of seconds ahead, it may have been too close.

RandyA

Like I said in an earlier post. I have never seen more animals on the road then this year, that is 40 plus years of road riding. My wife and I were heading to Washington DC on Memorial Day morning on rt 288. Set the cruise to 72mph and sat back for the ride up...came around a curve and a herd was standing in the lane, I got hit physically by two and my wife got hit in the leg by one. Motorcycle was a total but we came out of it breathing. Deb has a couple more months of recuperation and therapy on her leg and I just had some bumps and bruises. My buddy who was behind us is from Pa. no helmet law there. After watching us and going through what he went through to stop, he now wears his helmet and gloves. Without being suited up, even though it was a warm morning and going to be a hot day, my wife would have been killed by the impact her head took if not for the helmet, and her jacket and pants took almost all of the road rash instead of her. We will ride again...just not unless the sun is shinning, and I will put every whistle they say works on it too. I also renewed my hunting lic.. Going to try to thin them out.

I'm with ya Bro...

It's time for a little PAY BACK if you know what I mean.

Believe I can get 5 deer this season and I'm gonna see how close to that number I can get.

although this state is a little backwards as it pertains to crossbows...

Edited by CaptainJoe