Finally got around to installing my Memphis Shades Batwing. I ordered a generic one off of EBAY for a 9" headlight, bought the quick release brackets from Wayne, and made a custom bracket to attach the batwing to the quick release bracket. Took it for a quick ride and I like it.

You might want to think about making yourself some deflectors for the lower part of the brackets. Pretty easy to do, just pull the lower plexiglass deflectors from the bottom of your stock shield and trace the outline onto a piece of 1/4" lexan. Carefully cut them out and sand the edges smooth. Take a cutip, dip it in acetone and carefuly run it along the sanded edge. (Makes the sand marks disappear),match drill the mounting holes, cut out a couple of rubber gaskets and mount them to the lower section of the brackets. Finishes off the look and moves some of the air off your knees. Need to be carefull about keeping them pretty close to the stock size, you can go a bit bigger but if you go too much, they slam pretty hard when the forks travel up( don't ask how I know doh!)

You might want to think about making yourself some deflectors for the lower part of the brackets. Pretty easy to do, just pull the lower plexiglass deflectors from the bottom of your stock shield and trace the outline onto a piece of 1/4" lexan. Carefully cut them out and sand the edges smooth. Take a cutip, dip it in acetone and carefuly run it along the sanded edge. (Makes the sand marks disappear),match drill the mounting holes, cut out a couple of rubber gaskets and mount them to the lower section of the brackets. Finishes off the look and moves some of the air off your knees. Need to be carefull about keeping them pretty close to the stock size, you can go a bit bigger but if you go too much, they slam pretty hard when the forks travel up( don't ask how I know doh!)

thanks for the tip, may also look at buying the ones from Memphis Shades that bolt onto the lower part of the fairing, they are pretty cheap.

Guest tx2sturgis

The little leather bag really finishes it off...or maybe a stereo and speakers?

( dont forget to install a cassette deck!)

:D

Finally got around to installing my Memphis Shades Batwing. I ordered a generic one off of EBAY for a 9" headlight, bought the quick release brackets from Wayne, and made a custom bracket to attach the batwing to the quick release bracket. Took it for a quick ride and I like it.

Have you had time to put some more miles on it and your thoughts?

What is the height from the top of the batwing windshield to the highest point on the chrome gas tank trim? Kinda short and wondering just what heigth of windshield I need...my cut down stock windshield equals 17" as measured above

I like the flairing, is that a Bat Wing? Where did you get it and how much? Oh, your paint job is upside down! LOL!

Mark

It is a Memphis Shades batwing and I bought it from ebay seller badgershollowmotorsports, but looking at their webstore, they have raised their prices. I paid $188 delivered through ebay and another $54 for a 7" windshield. These were the best prices I could find. I actually called them and talked to them on the phone first to make sure that I was getting the right one and the guy I talked to was very helpfull and knowledgeable. Their current price of $229 is the standard price that everyone is charging.

Have you had time to put some more miles on it and your thoughts?

What is the height from the top of the batwing windshield to the highest point on the chrome gas tank trim? Kinda short and wondering just what heigth of windshield I need...my cut down stock windshield equals 17" as measured above

Mine is 17" as well, I have the 7" windshield on the fairing now and will probable leave it. They make a 5,7,9,12" windshield as well.

The four picture down at this site:http://www.sscustomcycle.com/products/accessories/handlebars.shtml

shows some red pinstriping on the fairing...anyone have any idea if this is hand painted or a decal? I am positive I have seen that in tape but be damned if I can find it anywhere...any clues would be greatly appreciated

THX for all your help, got mine mounted today, damn windshield cracked right at center bolt hole from the bottom up to the hole, not sure if

the crack will spread past the hole or not

Mounting brackets turned out to be a trial and fit even with your great measurements..I used flat aluminum bar available at any hardware store...flat iron would work as well

Haven`t gone for a ride yet as it is raining...but I am thinking I need a taller windshield, I got the 7" black gradiant and it sure seems short, ride will tell the tale though

Looking at your pictures and my bike, the over all shape of the batwing appears to me more vertically orientated than mine, again its all in those "U" shaped brackets, once bolted up it comes on and off as easy as the OEM windshield

So I am into this for $400, 200 for Batwing, 120 for complete fork brackets(could have gone for just the leg brackets for less) 70 for the 7" windshield and 30 for the chrome trim...still awaiting reply from sign shop about pin striping

THX again

some pictures of my bike, a couple of notes: my fairing is at a lesser angle than tsigwing`s, and I have my stock handle bars rotated upwards probably more than most

Lots of air coming from under the batwing, considering putting OEM shaped lowers onto black leg brackets or getting MS batwing air deflectors....

• 3 weeks later...

so I have added 12" windshield and lower air deflectors to my original setup, buffeting is now gone, with my setup the 12" windshield is now 17 1/2" above the highest point on the chrome ignition cover which is 1/2" higher than my OEM cut down windshield...I went with the ruby tint to break up the all black Memphis Shades batwing...Memphis Shades lowers match very well with OEM fork lowers

so I have added 12" windshield and lower air deflectors to my original setup, buffeting is now gone, with my setup the 12" windshield is now 17 1/2" above the highest point on the chrome ignition cover which is 1/2" higher than my OEM cut down windshield...I went with the ruby tint to break up the all black Memphis Shades batwing...Memphis Shades lowers match very well with OEM fork lowers

Cool. I am considering getting the 9" shield, but with stick with my 7" for now. I'm getting some buffeting right at the very top of my helmet, but not bad.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just noticed that SS Custom Cycle among others is selling a HogTunes audio setup specifically made for MS Batwings

http://www.sscustomcycle.com/products/accessories/handlebars.shtml

Not sure if this will fit on our RSTDs since the size MAY interfere with the dash? Unfortunately my bike is stored away for the winter and not available for measurements but here is what Shane from SS Custom has posted on another site:

"6.5 down from the top of the fairing and 5.5 inward toward the bars.."

I hope someone gives this a try before spring comes ;)