IGNORED

Radio goes on & off ???

Reed

Pull the front fairing off and you will see a cluster of black connectors tied together, fairly large. These are the audio components, take each apart and apply some di-electric grease.

Usually that is the issue, loose connectors.

Look in the 2nd gen tech section for instructions on taking front fairing off.

Mine was doing that recently as well. It was a week past the warranty expiration date but I solved it myself anyhow. I took all the connectors apart, sprayed them with an electrical contact cleaner and then put a tiny dab of dielectric grease on the female terminal ends. Put them all back together and has worked fine since.

Larry

I have a 08 venture. Yesterday the radio started getting a noise in it. Then I see the display going on & off.

It must be a bad connection? where do I start looking????????????:confused07:

My O8 did the same thing, all connecters were tight and dry on my snooping around. Yamaha went as far as replacing the brains in the front cowling for the audi system, but it eneded up being the controller. knock on wood its been perfect since

• 1 year later...

well i have a 06 and lately it works fine in the warm part of the day but in the cool of the morning or night i loose control of it totally and the screen fades in and out than stops playing music(in FM setting) and the next day when its warm it works like a new one. i guess I'll be taking apart the front fairing and putting the grease into the connections and hoping this will take care of the problem. i just don't understand why the cold weather affects it, and yes i checked the battery and it was fine according to napas tester. i think it showed 380 or 430 cranking amps and i think 13.2 on the volts.

well i have a 06 and lately it works fine in the warm part of the day but in the cool of the morning or night i loose control of it totally and the screen fades in and out than stops playing music(in FM setting) and the next day when its warm it works like a new one. i guess I'll be taking apart the front fairing and putting the grease into the connections and hoping this will take care of the problem. i just don't understand why the cold weather affects it, and yes i checked the battery and it was fine according to napas tester. i think it showed 380 or 430 cranking amps and i think 13.2 on the volts.

As temps drop, moisture will condense out of the air since warm air can hold more moisture than cooler air. This is what causes dew in the evening and it may be your problem. When the temps drop, moisture might be forming on the connectors. Also, since metal usually contracts as it cools down, a marginal connection could be pulling slightly apart when temps drop. Checking the connections and using some dielectric grease could help with that. There is also, of course, the possibility that Boomer's pygmies have managed to infiltrate your fairing and audio system. No idea how to help you with that one, though!

Andy

Guest tx2sturgis

In addition to the 'repairs' talked about here, its a good idea to gather up several zipties and after you have treated the connectors, cycle them a few times, ( insert then remove then re-insert the connectors) and then use the zipties to secure them all in a bundle and then secure that bundle to the frame surrounding the radio amp, cassette, and speedo assembly.

Those connectors bounce around and get jostled when the bike is in motion over rough roads, and securing them, along with the grease, will pretty much cure the problem.

:happy34:

well i got it torn down and all looked well but when moving the wire with the blue tape on it i got it to crackle a little bit. figured i may as well do the head light while I've got it apart. now i know why people say get the spacer for the road lights. i took pictures and will post later on.