IGNORED

Fuel Pump??

loehring

I've had some issues with my RSV cutting off since I got some bad gas. I've run a couple bottles of Seafoam through and I just changed the fuel filter. It will start fine with the choke open but if I don't let it warm up it will die going down the street. Once it dies it will start right back with the choke open again. Lat night I was on the interstate and it quit. I pulled in the clutch and let it out a couple times and it started back up. It just seems strange. Would a fuel pump go out a little at a time like that? I've been through a number of tanks of gas since the bad tank and I still get the same stuff.

Any ideas?

Mine died last year, under warranty. Shop replaced it. (it's a few hundred if your pocket)

But it died 100% when it died. When you turned the key,,, no clicks.

I did do the gravity feed,,,, to prove to me & the shop it was the pump. But also to ride it for a week.

The gravity feed will make it run just fine,, except maybe the bottom of the tank or MAJOR throttling.

To do gravity feed,,, let me remember,,,,

undo the tank bolt under the seat. Lift the tank up a couple of inches (don't need to undo the front, it will pivot.) use a needle nose to pull the gas line that runs from the tank off the fuel filter. Then pull the hose off the carburetor feed line and put the line from the tank to that feed. Now you are running straight from pitcock to the carb. I suggest you also open up the left side panel and disconnect the fuel pump electrical connection so it won't puke out remaining gas. If you think you want to run this a while (more than emergency) you could also include a $3 inline filter from Wal-mart just below the tank. Buy a few inches of fuel line to run between the pitcock and the filter, rather than cut your good line.

I ran it this way a few hundred miles till I got a new pump. But, in your case, this may prove if it is the pump or something else. Stick close to home till you know.

Mike G.

This is frustrating. The bike seemed fine this morning and then on the way home it started again. I did notice that I used to get clicking when I turned on the ignition, especially if the bike had been sitting for a day or two. Now I don't ever hear the click. Is it supposed to be there and could that mean the fuel pump is bad?

My fuel pump did the same. It would fail every few weeks, start again after it cooled, than it failed completely on a trip to Sturgis. It should not be frustrating. the next time it fails, remove the side cover and touch the pump. I'll bet its hot.

• 3 years later...
My fuel pump did the same. It would fail every few weeks, start again after it cooled, than it failed completely on a trip to Sturgis. It should not be frustrating. the next time it fails, remove the side cover and touch the pump. I'll bet its hot.

Wizard or anyone - do you know why the pump is hot if it is NOT working?

I can't figure it out.

Thanks

VentureFar...