IGNORED

Guess what hubby and I did today?

GAWildKat

We looked at bikes! We went to 3 different dealers here, one sells only yamaha, one sells all metric bikes, and the last was the HD dealer. The Yammy dealer was eh on assistance with the bikes, the sales guy highly suggested the Vstar 250 as his "daily" bike, but it was too small, was a bit eh on him looking at the 650, and over all the inventory was low. after hubby sitting on a few bikes and getting an idea of what feels ok based on what that dealer had we went to the other dealer that sells all metric. One of the managers was kind enough to walk us through all the bikes on the floor, not just the Yammys and give us all the pluses and minuses on each bike and which ones were best suited for what we looked for in a bike, all in all about 3 hrs of his time. Giving the hubby a once over he thought that the Vstar 950 would be a better starter bike/daily driver than the 650, said the 650 just looked a bit small under him and hubby said the 650 while feeling ok, made him feel squished up on it (heh). This dealer had a Venture on the floor and we were allowed to sit on it, we agreed it's like having a motorized sofa. After spending more time with us the manager gave us his card with the # to register for the local MSF course on it. Also said when hubby gets his license and comes back he'll let us test drive the Venture on the road, which was totally cool! The manager asked me too if there was anything he could do to sell me on a bike of my own to ride, and I explained my disability (I have cerebral palsy) and told him my concerns over the shifting and braking. He showed me an automatic that I could handle easily enough.

From here we went to the HD which is practically next door to the last place. We were greeted warmly, but that's about where it stopped. We walked around and hubby sat all the bikes, says they are all too short, except one or 2 of the RK bikes, but the weight is better balanced, but wasn't enough to sell him on them. What really annoyed him was when one of the sales guys fussed at me saying I dunno how to get on a bike (I was sitting in the rider seat then slipped back to the passenger seat before hubby joined me. (HD gets a demerit for that) The as we left the salesguy was very snobby and said on avg it takes 22 trips into an HD dealer before someone buys a bike, what trip is this for you?

Overall we had a fun day and learned alot of information and hubby got a true idea of bikes while we were out.

Now we have some questions for you guys.

If we look at older used bikes say early to mid 90's models what can we expect for being able to find replacement parts for the bike?

What else should we be thinking about when looking at bikes new or used?

If there's a question or something I missed with looking at bikes please tell me.

Regards,

Tricia

Parts for bikes won't be a problem for 90's bikes. Glad you had a good time checking out all the bikes. Glad you even found something you can ride if you choose to.Try and be patient till you get your bike. I know that will be hard.

Margaret

I'm sure you will get lots of help here with the bike questions. My only concern would be that if "hubby" is still getting his licence, perhaps the Venture may be a bit too much for your first bike. The 950 sounds about right.

Good luck with your search.

What made the experience rewarding for us was finding the manager who was willing to walk us around after we had walked the sales floor ourselves and show us the bikes from a experienced rider's take on bikes, it made a difference for us. Even pointed out why the Venture is better than a GoldWing. After find out my needs with the backseat said he should be able to find a Venture style seat or better to fit the 950 should we choose to buy new. Asked us to come in every few mons and enter the promotions they have, says at Christmas they give away bikes to winners and is a possibility we'd get one that way too. We are rarely impulse buyers. The only time we bought on a whim like that was our caprice, and we've never regretted it.

Tricia

I'm sure you will get lots of help here with the bike questions. My only concern would be that if "hubby" is still getting his licence, perhaps the Venture may be a bit too much for your first bike. The 950 sounds about right.

Good luck with your search.

First welcome. I disagree with the manager that says a 650 is two small. I don't know how large your husband is but I am 5'11" and 210 lbs and I had a 650 and it was plenty big enough and would cruise all day long at 85 mph. Now saying that I agree with the manager that the 950 who be a better bike for your husband especially if you are going to ride 2 up. I love the Venture and highly recommend it but for a first bike it would be way to much bike for your husband. I know the three dealers you are talking about we were just at the Yamaha only dealer last weekend. The inventory is pretty low unless you want a crotch rocket. They did have a beautiful black Stratoliner Deluxe. The great thing about the Strat is it has an aluminum frame. Sitting on them they have such a low center of gravity feeling about them. The only problem is they have 100 hp. I'm not sure you need that much hp for a first bike. I know several people though who have the 950 and they all love them.

We looked at bikes! After spending more time with us the manager gave us his card with the # to register for the local MSF course on it.

Tricia

Welcome aboard Tricia ..... makes sure hubby does that course!! Heartily recommended!

In Canada we have two, and they were both worth every penny.

The perfect bike is the one you have just bought. Give it a few months and you find the flaws and start looking for something better. I know this first hand since my wife wanted her own ride so she went out and bought a sym hd200 scooter because it was simple and automatic. I told her to just get a 650 since she would get one soon enough but she opted for the scooter. She took the msf class and got her licence and the next tue we were at the dealer buying a 2010 v star 650. She picks it up on tuesday. The scooter lasted 2 months but I had the pleasure of one more " I told you so" :stickpoke: I guess going bigger is just the natural progression of the riding process.

Of course, this doesnt hold with the Venture because there isnt anything out there better!

He wants the daily ride to/from work/school but has the power needed to deal with the insane traffic we seem to get in LOL and the touring bike that's more for my comfort because we want to do more long roadtrips while he's in school and has the freedom of that schedule to do more stuff that's just for us.

Welcome to the forum!!

I heartily agree with the encouragement to take the safety course.

A little history lesson. The Venture is a great bike. The 1st Generation was built up to 1993 and the 2nd Generation (like you sat on) started in 1999. The 1st gen are still great bikes and parts are available (I ride an 1986) but are frame mounted fairings rather than fork mounted, are a little taller and therefore, a little more top heavy.

I purchased a used Yamaha 750 in August of 2005, used and cheap. By October I had ridden enough that I felt comfortable to sell it and transition to the Venture. Your time frame may be different but it a good route to take.

Dave

Also, when you start to get an idea of what you are looking for, do your research before you go back into the store. When you have a better idea, more of the salespeople will take you serious. (Not saying being new is any fault of your own, that has just been my experience)

If you want a Harley, go for it, but be prepared for terrible customer service!

Considering the service from the three dealers...I know where I would be purchasing, when I was ready. :happy34:

Can't believe you were questioned about how you got on the bike!! Who cares, as long as it is done safely. We don't wear a sign that says: "disabled" I have to reverse what you did -- push up into the passenger seat, swing the stiff leg over the tank, then drop forward into the rider seat......what would he have said to that :doh:

Anyway, happy bike hunting :smile5:

Yeah really! Hubby was just doing a comparison between all the brands of bikes we had access to for today. We included harley because it was nearly next door to the second place we went to. Hubby was thinking of the idea of having a quick connect backrest that he could take on and off for me to get on and off and wanted to see how the part of me getting on first would work. Worked well enough til the HD guy fussed at us. But based on that he's prolly not getting HD ever.

"Hubby was thinking of the idea of having a quick connect backrest that he could take on and off for me to get on ................."

I have a back rest on my 2006 Venture that only takes about 10 seconds on or off, how big is hubby the Venture is a tall and heavy bike. get on the best way you can and ride.

PS. welcome to the site... :thumbsup2:

"Hubby was thinking of the idea of having a quick connect backrest that he could take on and off for me to get on ................."

I have a back rest on my 2006 Venture that only takes about 10 seconds on or off, how big is hubby the Venture is a tall and heavy bike. get on the best way you can and ride.

PS. welcome to the site... :thumbsup2:

More info please....what brand of back rest is it??

Hubby and I were thinking of the backrest on the backseat on a smaller bike like the 950, something that would be quick on and off so I could slide on and off from the back if need be rather than hitting the backrest with my shin. Something more more along the lines of the design of the backseat on the Venture (Hubby would like the grips the Venture has as well) As far as hubby's build...5'10" 31 inch inseam slim build @175lbs.

If anything else is needed let me know.

Tricia

I explained my disability (I have cerebral palsy) and told him my concerns over the shifting and braking. He showed me an automatic that I could handle easily enough.

First off :welcome1:to the asylum!!! Glad you found the chat room, come back often.

If you really are interested in your own bike, look at a Suzuki Burgman. They are big scooters. They come in 400 and 650cc versions, have an automatic transmission and the brakes are on the handlebars, so no foot pedals. The 650 will cruise all day at 75-80 mph, 2-up, and are pretty quick too. It is big enough for a first bike too for hubby. After the safety course, he could move up, leaving it for you. my :2cents:

Walter

Welcome to the site. As a MFS coach I will suggest what I tell my classes. Get a "scratch and dent special" for the first bike. He will learn a lot in the first 6 mo or so riding. When he has some experience the Venture is a great bike for 2 up riding (and it don't matter how you mount up). Good luck you will get great support on this site. Rod

If you really are interested in your own bike, look at a Suzuki Burgman. They are big scooters. They come in 400 and 650cc versions, have an automatic transmission and the brakes are on the handlebars, so no foot pedals. The 650 will cruise all day at 75-80 mph, 2-up, and are pretty quick too. It is big enough for a first bike too for hubby. After the safety course, he could move up, leaving it for you. my :2cents:

There are so many good bikes to choose from but I fully agree ... the Suzuki 650 Burgman is an amazing bike. I had never expected that kind of performance from a scooter. It has a lot of power, quick, comfortable, easy to handle, protects you from the wind, lots of storage room, quiet and you get a lot of value for the money. Try it out and you'll be surprised. I'm actually thinking about getting one for myself?

Regarding: Bigger passenger seat AND removable driver's backrest.

I have the Mustang seat that fits the Tour Deluxe. My wife loves the big seat and the driver's backrest pops out in about 1.6 seconds flat and reinstalls in about 4 seconds. It will also fold flat down on the driver's seat to allow for the swingover. She is 5' tall and somtimes it is just easier for me to pull it and let her do the slide up thing.

Hope this helps.

If its primarily going to be used to get to work and gain experience on a bike, "since its his first bike", the Yamaha 650 is the probably the best way to go as it's only 450 lbs? On the down side, it will only haul about 350 lbs? comfortably.

I'd personally recommend not giving any rides until he had at least 3 months minimum under his belt and then to ride the bike for a year. Riding a 'used' bike is the best way to lean. Then trade up to a 950 or 1100 and ride that for a year. After a couple years he'll be ready for a tour bike. Do Not Rush it.

I bought my 2007 Venture 3 months ago from a guy that had it for 3 years and only put 482 miles on it. He hadn't ridden a bike for 30? years and went out one day and bought this 950 lb Tourer.... Found out he couldnt ride it, as it, scared him to death ... so it sat in a motorcycle trailer for three years.

Think of it this way, It's akin to getting your car learners permit and wanting to drive a tractor trailor....

Remember, Experience is the best teacher...

Good Luck!

When I started back riding in 2003 after not riding for 20 years I bought a 750 honda shadow. I felt like I was sitting on an elephant. In a few months I was wishing I had gotten a bigger bike. I started looking around and every salesman told me the number one complaint from new riders is they bought too small. I have been in the harley dealership you went to and they have the typical arrogant harley attitude. I was riding with a few harley friends and we stopped at the harley dealer. It was a slow day so everyone inside the dealership was looking at us and we drove up and parked. No one would even speak to me because they saw I was riding a venture.