IGNORED

Odometer Question

jilldwr

I'm looking for an older Royal Star to buy, say 96-99, and I found a 96 on the internet but it's a fair drive away. I phoned the dealer who's selling it and they say there's 7000 miles on the bike. I have a hard time believing there's that few miles on a 14 year old bruiser cruiser. Does the odometer on the early royal stars roll over at a hundred thousand miles or a million miles?? (00,000 or 000,000)

Dealers have been known to tell "half truths" in their favour and if there is only 7000 miles, I'd like to drive the three hours and grab it while it's there.

Thanks,

D.W.

Guest tx2sturgis

7000 miles on a 14 year old bike is unusual, but not unheard of. 107,000 miles would be more like it, IF it were a car. So who knows.

Ask him to take a digital pic of the odometer along with some other snaps of the bike....and email them to you.

I believe that it could be correct since I looked at one for a friend with only 5800 miles documented by the sellers dealer. I only had four oil changes. BUT my 02 had nearly 78,000 miles when the dash and speedo crashed. I have a new speedo with an additional 49,000 miles. I have an affadaived from the dealer showing the true additional miles. If I were a nasty fellow I could advertise this machine with only 49,000 miles. You are better off to look at it and decide for yourself.

:farmer:

I can belive 7,000 miles but I would have to inspect the bike for low milage.

Look at the build date of hte tires........BEFORE you ride. if they are over 10 years old I would belive the milage claim more, but I would NOT trust my life to tires that are that old......

I was definitely going to inspect the bike before purchasing, Stone chips are a good indicater of mileage. I just thought one of you with an older Royal Star could tell me if the odometer typically could register more than 100,000 miles.

At 7000 miles, it would be a hard deal to turn down at $5000 dollars.

thanks,

D.W.

The odometer on my 96 royal star was changed out 3x under warranty....condensation would gather inside of the glass...and they would change it out. So, my bike, which has over 123,000 k's on it, only shows 17,000 or so......be wary.

The dealer can do a search through Yamaha to check out the warranty work done to the bike, and answer part of your question. If the odometer was changed out off warranty, well, they probably won't have record of it.

The odometer does not reset at 100,000, but continues on, to answer another part of your question.

There is a nice 97 for sale here in Amherstburg, low mileage, loaded up with the nice bags and windshield...but I think he wants in the 6000 range, a bit pricey, but so is 5000 for a 96. I can get you his telephone number if you want it...it is in very, very good condition. Two tone, white and blue.

I saw this one a while back, it's probably sold already.....

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-Yamaha-1996-Royal-Star-W0QQAdIdZ200167097

Good luck in your hunt! They are a great, fun bike!

gunk:Laugh: