IGNORED

Helmet itch dilema...make that emergency

slick97spirit

Rinse out the interior of the helmet and rinse hair if sweaty, not practical for women but works fine for me. Fixes it every time and this used to bother me a lot, but don't rinse hairhttp://the.earth.li/%7Ealex/halley/img/all_frozen_hair.JPG in winter

Wow! This discussion sounds familiar. I have been trying to find a suitable solution for this issue for years now. It's interesting that most of the answers which everyone has offered so far, are almost identical to that which I received when I posted the very same question about four years ago on a Delphi site.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?qu=itch&find=Search&webtag=royalstar&ctx=search&cl=573438&af=31&o=relevance&be=0

This is what I have concluded so far ... (unprofessionally of course), for some of us who experience this type of extreme helmet-induced scalp itch, it's not simply a matter of hair gels, shampoos, sprays, etc. Also, I have never been able to wear baseball caps because they make my head itch. Helmets are even worse. For this reason, I don't believe it's anything besides the fact that I apparently have a hyper-sensitive scalp. And, the degree of the itchiness is almost beyond description. I have almost had to rip my helmet off my head and fling it off to the side of the road it became so unbearable.

I have tried a number of different types of doo-rags made of different materials. I have tried all styles of helmets, and some are a little better than others, but all of them after a while cause me the same grief. Also, the hotter the weather, the worse it gets.

I'm still convinced that there is (or will be) a solution available, but I haven't found it yet. I wish that there was a way for me to ignore or to just tolerate the itchiness. Unfortunately, the only solution so far has just been to not wear a helmet where it's legally permissible. I know, I know ... not wearing a helmet is incredibly stupid, and there are no reasonable excuses I can come up with to rationalize not wearing proper riding gear. However ..., that not the issue at this moment.

If I can ever find some solutions, you can be sure that I will happily share them with everyone. I am sure that there are many of us who experience this same problem.

Hope this helps.

Be Safe!

Pete.

Edited by petekadish
typo