I have gas leaking from hose near ground under seat but only when bike sits in hot sun? I know the standard answer is stuck float but I put bike in shade or garage and no leak?? Any ideas?

It is not a stuck float - the overflow tubes from the carbs dump gas down the inside of the lower fairings (in front of the air cleaners).

The tank vent tube is located with the air plenum drains and the coolant overflow tube under the bike near the tip of the kickstand. If the tank is too full and allowed to sit in the sun, you will get the excess gas dumped out of the tank vent. The same thing can happen just from engine heat if the tank is filled too full and parked immediately afterward - even in the shade.

Goose

Thanks for the replies the dealer tried to put it on a stuck float which I new was wrong. I was unsure which tubes were by the kickstand so thanks for clearing that up as well.

Just wanted to comment that although the issue you described is normal, it is not usually a problem. I routinely fill my tank VERY full (see the tech library for the simple procedure to vent the filler neck so this is easy to do), and simply riding it about 5 miles home from the station is enough to prevent the overflow problem.

If I am not planning on getting right back on the road, I don't fill the tank much above the bottom of the filler neck, but any other time, I put in everything I can 'cause I'd rather be riding than stopping for gas! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Just wanted to comment that although the issue you described is normal, it is not usually a problem. I routinely fill my tank VERY full (see the tech library for the simple procedure to vent the filler neck so this is easy to do), and simply riding it about 5 miles home from the station is enough to prevent the overflow problem.

If I am not planning on getting right back on the road, I don't fill the tank much above the bottom of the filler neck, but any other time, I put in everything I can 'cause I'd rather be riding than stopping for gas! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

This is my practice as well.

It doesn't take too long to overflow. If I am riding in a group, I typically fuel first. By the time they are done dawdling, especially if there are gals needing to make a comfort stop and are wearing chaps, I'll have an expanding puddle under the bike.

Dave

Had the same problem after filling the tank on a hot day, then going to lunch leaving the bike in the sun. When we came out after of teh restaurant gas was coming out the overflow. Stopped it by just opening the cap for a second to relieve the pressure. Don't fill it to the top when it is going to be sitting in the sun.

Had the same problem after filling the tank on a hot day, then going to lunch leaving the bike in the sun. When we came out of the restaurant gas was coming out the overflow. Stopped it by just opening the cap for a second to relieve the pressure. Don't fill it to the top when it is going to be sitting in the sun.