IGNORED

Adjust headlight on RSTD?

Shipper

I think I know how you are supposed to adjust your headlight, but not sure where you do the adjustment on the headlight. I see two small recessed horizontal screws one on each side at the bottom of the headlight. If this is the adjustment then, facing the headlight, which screw is for the vertical and which for the horizontal? I've tried turning them and can't see the difference. If this is not it, then where? Thanks for any help! :scratchchin:

Dave,

You're the man! I thought that's where they were, but couldn't tell anything was happening. Now I'll take some big swipes at it and bring down the beam. I've probably messed both settings up playing with it. I'm sure it takes a Phillip's head (eyes not so good), but can't seem to get a good bite to turn the screws.

I've heard 17' and 25' to check them, but guess if my vertical beam is slightly lower than my headlight measurement then I should be OK. Thanks again!

:thumbsup2:

Dave,

You're the man! I thought that's where they were, but couldn't tell anything was happening. Now I'll take some big swipes at it and bring down the beam. I've probably messed both settings up playing with it. I'm sure it takes a Phillip's head (eyes not so good), but can't seem to get a good bite to turn the screws.

I've heard 17' and 25' to check them, but guess if my vertical beam is slightly lower than my headlight measurement then I should be OK. Thanks again!

:thumbsup2:

I believe it will be a JIS screwdriver... like a Phillips head but a slightly different pitch. Make sure you go slow and be careful!

Here's some instructions I found....

Getting a correctly aimed headlight is straightforward. You need to make a couple of measurements and then aim the light at a flat wall, as follows:

With the bike upright on its wheels (off the side or center stand) and your weight in the seat, have a helper measure the distance from the floor to the center of the headlight lens.

Pick a flat wall where you can locate the bike on level ground so the headlight is 17 feet from the wall. Place a horizontal mark on the wall two (2) inches lower than the height of the center of the headlight.

With you again sitting in the seat adjust the vertical screw (usually at the very top or very bottom of a headlight next to the lens but inside a trim ring) so the flat
of the low beam is just to the line you put on the wall (a two inch drop at 17 feet).

The horizontal adjustment (screw will be on the left or right side of the headlight lens) should center the beam ahead of the line of the bike.

If you have spotlights use this same procedure to aim them.

Go ride!

Not sure how you adjust the light while you are sitting on the seat.....!

Dave

Edited by Dave77459
typo was aggravating me!

I believe it will be a JIS screwdriver... like a Phillips head by a slightly different pitch. Dave

You are right on the money again. The JIS screwdriver's are not available anywhere in the local market-must be ordered. Just so I can finally contribute, I discovered that the cheap screwdrivers in our bike's tool kit are JIS #1 & #2 Phillips head and fit the headlight adjusting screws perfectly!

:dancefool:

You are right on the money again. The JIS screwdriver's are not available anywhere in the local market-must be ordered. Just so I can finally contribute, I discovered that the cheap screwdrivers in our bike's tool kit are JIS #1 & #2 Phillips head and fit the headlight adjusting screws perfectly!

:dancefool:

Great information! Thanks.

Dave