Left work tonight and got about a mile down the road and the bike died, as though it had run out of gas. Tried to restart and it didn't even try to fire. I turned the key off and on and noticed just a single click. Does a mile sound about right if the fuel pump is not working? I tried the key several more times and heard several clicks and was lucky enough to get it started and got home. Is that a typical fuel pump problem? Is there anything else I should check? What about warranty?

Thanks Mark

that is what my fuel pump did when it died...had it replaced under warranty..

However,

yours could be the ignition switch, or a multitude of other things.

It is going to be very difficult to tell exactly what it was/ is with out playing a guessing game from here.

You don't mention any type of diagnosis you did, or didn't do, when it was not starting for me (us) to help narrow it down for you.

Questions like:

• Did you check to see if you had spark at any one of the plug wires when it wouldn't start?

• Did you have lights, radio, horn or any other electrical power when it wouldn't start?
  • After riding a mile I would say you would NOT hear the fuel pump clicking since it was in full prime.

I would recommend further testing to determine if it is your fuel pump...:thumbsup2:

There really is no way to diagnose this from what you have said. The fuel pump shouldn't make any sounds at all when you first turn the key on if the carbs are already full.

The easiest way to actually check the fuel pump is to disconnect the fuel line that runs from the fuel pump to the carburetors and then turn the key on (making sure your KILL SWITCH is in the RUN position. If the fuel pump it working, it will immediately spew gas.

When doing this test, you might as well do it by removing the tank and disconnecting the hose fromt he carbs where it connects near the idle adjustment knob - for two reasons:

1. This makes it easy to point the hose away from the bike in case the gas DOES spew.

2. If the pump is actually bad, you can then simply disconnect the fuel line from the top of the fuel filter and move it to the carburetor input (bypassing the fuel filter and the fuel pump). This will allow you to ride the bike until you get a replacement pump.

Do not forget to turn the gas off before disconnecting any hose, and then to turn it back ON before doing any test! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks, Sorry for the lack of info. I didn't do much of a diagnosis. The bike sputtered and before it quit, it sounded like I was running on two cylinders. When trying to restart, it turned over and maybe sputtered once then nothing. I looked at the gas guage it was 3/4's removed the cap to verify fuel and it was okay. I didn't hear any pressure difference when removing the gas cap. I'm used to hearing 4 or 5 clicks when turning the key. I could only hear one. I turned the key from acc. to on, 3 or 4 times and heared several clicks. Then tried to restart and it did but it was running ruff for about 10 seconds then it smoothed out and I was able to ride it home. I went out this morning and turned the key and I got 5 or 6 clicks and it started like normal. Now that its seems to be running okay its harder to diagnose. I don't trust it though, like an accident waiting to happen. I didn't realize you could bypass the fuel pump when in a pinch. Do I need extra hose or tools other than what comes with the bike?

Thank you. Mark

Hi Mark... It seems I have the same thing going on right now with my 06 Venture.

My bike stopped on me yesterday (this is about the third time now) and sounded like it was only running on one or two cylinders. The only way I could keep it running was with 'full' choke, as soon as I touched the throttle it would die.

I've changed the plugs and fuel filter as suggested by many but that obviously was not the problem. At this point I'm suspecting the fuel pump. Like you, it eventually (after many attempts) started running and seemed to run fine. I made a trip to the Dragon last fall with no problems and yesterday I couldn't get out of the yard. I've got to get to the heart of the matter because one of these times I won't be so lucky to get it going again!

Went to see the dealer today. (McKee's Yamaha) It was an hour away. I showed up unannounced but He said he'd check it out. Of course its running like a top at the moment. Everything checked out okay. They change the fuel filter, only charged me $15 for everything. Hats off to these guys. They wondered it I could have gotten some water in the tank or bad gas and said to put some gas line antifreeze in the tank. Ended up driving it most of the day, no problems.

We're taking a ride to the Cabot trail and Gaspe Peninsula next month hope everything holds up. Heading there state side and coming back canadian side. Was thinking of taking the ferry at Bar Harbor but I heard its very expensive. Anyone done this?

Mark

• 3 years later...

I have an 04 venture and experiencing same issue. was it your fuel pump or was it another issue. I am not happy camper, had to push my bike home from work almost 6 miles. she is not light, it was rough and I dont want to do it again. If you have any info I would be appreciative.

Thanks

Lenny

Just as V7Goose has described above, if you suspect the fuel pump, it's fairly easy to bypass and will keep you from having to push it 6 miles home. If, after you bypass the pump and keep at least a couple of gallons in the tank at all times, the bike runs fine and doesn't fail again , you can be pretty much assured your pump is the culprit. There are several write ups discussing how to do this. Just do a search and ye shall find!!

I just did a little surfing looking for the Puralator F10024 fuel filter and ran acrossed this which I thought was kinda interesting.... The filter is a metal unit, and the OEM is plastic, but the strain on the pocket book is a heck of a lot kinder.... The WIX 33027 is $3.69 at O'Reilly's... I ran acrossed a couple of tests on oil filters a long time ago and the cheepest...the WIX.. came out on top. So they do make some good stuff.

PUROLATOR F10024 replacement fuel filters:

AC-DELCO GF454

AC-DELCO GF469

ATLAS FF-19

AUTO-TUNE E3656

AUTOPAR FE200

BALDWIN BF989

BARAD FG-44

BECK/ARNLEY 043-0025

CANADIAN TIRE 23-3569-6

CARQUEST 86027

CASITE CG3515

CENEX G454

CHAMP G454

CHAMPION GF10

COBRA FDF507

CRUISEMASTER 411

DEUTSCH FF203

DONALDSON P550454

DYNALIFE CNG-3515

FACET 3515

FLEETGUARD FF5022

FLEETGUARD FF5676

FLEETRITE FFR-85022

FORD D1FZ-9155-A

FORD D32E-9155-AA

FORD D3FZ-9155-A

FORD D8DE-9155-B

FORD D8DE-9155-BA

Fram G3515

G K INDUSTRIES FG44

GENERAL MOTORS 5651687

GENERAL MOTORS 5651783

GOODYEAR 222-4658

GOODYEAR G3515

GRAND PRIX G454

GROUP 7 F10024

HASTINGS GF73

IAPCO A-0371-003

IAPCO FF901

INTERCONTINENTAL AUTO PARTS ALG-44

INTERNATIONAL PARTS SERVICES 4-8003

ITM 11-39815

KEM GF522

KRALINATOR G69

KUSS 31060011

LEE LG-454

LUBER-FINER G454

MASTER PARTS G-454

MECHANICS CIRCLE MGF 3515

MIGHTY FG44

MOTORCRAFT FG 44-B

NAPA 3027

NAPA 3027BP

NIEHOFF FS-314

PARR 2605

PARTS MASTER 73027

PARTS PLUS G454

PRO/GAUGE FG-44

PUROLATOR F10024

QUAKER STATE F10024

QUAKER STATE QSG3515

SEARS 26006

SELECT 500 616-44

SHELL F10024

SUNOCO G-13

TRUST G454

VALVOLINE VG9

WALMI WG-44

WARNER G454

WELLS/AMPCO GF109

WIX 33027

Thanks, Sorry for the lack of info. I didn't do much of a diagnosis. The bike sputtered and before it quit, it sounded like I was running on two cylinders. When trying to restart, it turned over and maybe sputtered once then nothing. I looked at the gas guage it was 3/4's removed the cap to verify fuel and it was okay. I didn't hear any pressure difference when removing the gas cap. I'm used to hearing 4 or 5 clicks when turning the key. I could only hear one. I turned the key from acc. to on, 3 or 4 times and heared several clicks. Then tried to restart and it did but it was running ruff for about 10 seconds then it smoothed out and I was able to ride it home. I went out this morning and turned the key and I got 5 or 6 clicks and it started like normal. Now that its seems to be running okay its harder to diagnose. I don't trust it though, like an accident waiting to happen. I didn't realize you could bypass the fuel pump when in a pinch. Do I need extra hose or tools other than what comes with the bike?

Thank you. Mark

Sure sounds like the fuel pump - mine was acting the same way. Here is a quick & easy fix if it's the point set in the fuel pump...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80742

My 2007 just experienced the exact same issue, even to the clicks when turning on the ignition. When I finally got it to run it was after I heard maybe 5 or 6 clicks which reprimed the carbs. Has run OK for the last few days, not sure of reliability at this point. At least the bypass is an easy fix so that I do not get stranded:headache:

• 9 months later...

The parts guy of over 20 years rode Ventures forever, even raced one on dirt track. Anyhow he knows a lot about them and said to me when this happened, forget the fuel filter its not the problem, he was right. I did try a few of the ones listed, they did not fit right so i just put on a new Factory one. One thing I don't want flopping and rubbing and fitting poorly is the fuel components.

I would think Pump. And I carry a spare. The aircraft one. Im not going dealer on that one, its too much money for something that fails too often. I'll fit this one to it when the time comes.

.... Im not going dealer on that one, its too much money for something that fails too often. I'll fit this one to it when the time comes.

If you have an '08...when was the bike originally purchased? Warranty is 5 years from date first sold.