IGNORED

Petcock doesn't shutoff flow

Looks like another small fix-em up on the 2000 MM RSV I bought last month.

The petcock doesn't stop the flow of fuel. Discovered when I parked the bike after a long ride, noticed the shutoff was still in the off position... yet I didn't starve for fuel.

Confirmed on purpose again.

I suspect I need a new petcock assembly.

I could probably slap one of the carb vaccum caps on the petcock if I needed to remove the tank before its fixed.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it worth trying to fix? Is there a fix that might easily succeed that anyone has tried?

On a 10 year old bike it might be worth getting a new petcock with new internal screen filters anyway... ?????

Thoughts & suggestions appreciated.

4wm-24500-02-00 $23.35 (plus any applicable taxes)

Just replaced one on my sister's new (to her) '97 Royal Star Tour Classic. Different reason - copper tube the fuel hose connects to pulled out. Still...

4wm-24500-02-00 $23.35 (plus any applicable taxes)

For 24 bucks, I'd replace it. It is handy to be able to ACTUALLY turn off the fuel for various reasons. And I agree, 10 years is probably past due to change out the filter anyways.

If you are quick you might be able to pull of the hose from the petcock to the carbs and stick another hose on (that goes to a gas can) if you put your finger (or someone's finger) over the vent hose on the top of the tank, and of course, leave the fuel cap on. That would allow you to drain most of the fuel out before even removing the tank from the bike.

Although your idea with a cap on the end of it would probably work just fine.

Now that I am thinking about it, if you are going to replace it anyways, you could just crimp the end of the petcock itself...

It comes off pretty easily, you could always pull it out and see if you can fix it.

I have the same problem on my 03. Have took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together every way possible. Still doesn't stop the flow. It will switch from main to reserve and that works. But won't completely shut off the flow. Hope somebody has a fix that works. Even at $24, I can't see spending $$ on a new one that might have the same problem.

Anybody have one that DOES work?

Petcocks will wear out. Its possible the previous owner shut it off daily, thus wearing it out sooner. My 99's petcock started leaking in 03. It was replaced under warranty and it still works. Just replace it for peace of mind.