IGNORED

It's a long shot

silverdeer0454

I know this is a long shot...but....I'm looking for the floppy disks to reinstall Windows 2000 on the computer that runs my weather station. I have tried the cd and it won't work. I even went in to setup and changed the boot order but the cd does not work. If you have the 3.5 inch floppies let me know and I'll make an offer.

:rudolf:

silverdeer

I know this is a long shot...but....I'm looking for the floppy disks to reinstall Windows 2000 on the computer that runs my weather station. I have tried the cd and it won't work. I even went in to setup and changed the boot order but the cd does not work. If you have the 3.5 inch floppies let me know and I'll make an offer.

silverdeer

Is the CD even showing up in the setup screen (a dumb Q I guess if you can change the boot order).

What about installing another CD drive ... you should be able to get a basic reader pretty cheap.

Other thing is maybe the boot CD for installing Win2000 is corrupt ... can you get another CD? I have one if you'd like I could send it to you.

Is the CD even showing up in the setup screen (a dumb Q I guess if you can change the boot order).

What about installing another CD drive ... you should be able to get a basic reader pretty cheap.

I had a similar thought, and not a dumb question at all. The computer at my house gives the option in the BIOS to boot from CD regardless of the functionality of the CD-ROM drive itself.

Even if you just borrow a CD-ROM drive from another machine to do the install, that would be at least a temporary fix.

Also, depending on the age of the machine it self, if you have the option to boot from a USB device, you could use a different machine to rip the ISO of your current CD (this is legal since it would be considered a 'personal backup copy' and you are not distributing it) then, dump the ISO onto the flash drive with the appropriate bootloader scripts (there is freeware software available to make this process very easy, if you want I can send you some info on some that I have had success with) then boot from the flash drive itself (or whatever USB device you use) and you don't need to use the CD-ROM at all.

If you go into system hardware, does the CD drive even show up? I.E.--does the machine recognize a CDrom is present and attached? If not, go to the "add hardware" screen and try to add the drive. If it does show up, try to update the driver for it. These choices will be totally divorced from anything you might do in the BIOS setup screens. The BIOS setup will have CDROM access in the boot cycle as a selection whether one is there or not....They expect you as tech. or end user to tell the BIOS whether to look for it or not.

Ditto Lilbeaver's suggestion to borrow a drive for the reinstal, then evaluate the drive as "newly installed hardware", when you switch back.

Anyway, if either of the 2 things I mentioned don't help ....back up 10 yards and punt! (then possibly look for a new CD drive) Good luck in any event.

my 2 cents

Just thought of something else, before the other stuff I said. If you can, get into Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and look under the "My Computer" line item. Expand it and see if the CD is shown. Try to access it (the disk) to view files. If you can do this, the drive is functional but the response to "autoplay" is screwed up for some reason. Hunt for the Setup.exe (should be right there in the root directory) and execute it for a reinstal. . You didn't specifically say, but I assume the drive physically "works"....powers up and tries to access the disk. If not, disregard everything I've said and find a new CD-ROM drive!

Ok that's a nickel!

this may work for ya, get an Sd card that will hold your win2k disk, copy it to the sd card, and then try this sd card adapter technique. It looks kinda odd, but if it works what the heck.... I would try using the existing other end in where the floppy ribbon cable is supposed to go in the main board instead of cutting the end off like it shows in the pics.

http://uanr.com/sdfloppy/

Brian

Thanks for all the advice. I tried everything mentioned and still...no go. As the computer boots up everything is fine until 1/2 way thru the boot process, then I get the "blue screen of death" that says: "inaccessible Boot Device error 0x0000007B." I believe this to be a corrupt dll file. From what I am being told the only way to correct this is with a re-installation of Windows 2000. The cd rom is listed in the boot sequence in bios and I was able to move it to the top and get into dos, but beyond that I am stumped. I was able to use a Windows 98 disk to trouble shoot and scan disk/check disk show no errors. I may just take it to the computer shop I bought it from 3 years ago and let them have a shot at it. The other option is to use it as planter box for flowers now that warmer weather has arrived.

if you have the cd and it wont work.

did you try START/RUN/D:/

and this should open up and show all thats installed on the cd

go to the install file on the cd of that windows2000 and it should do a install over the top.

It doesn't matter whether or not the cd-rom is "installed" or not. Upon booting, a generic driver will run, making it possible to boot with the drive.

Depends, on some older machines that was not the case..

I'll check at home too, but I think I have Windows 98 and or 95 and maybe even 3.5 on floppy. If you can load any earlier version by floppy that gets the CD running you can upgrade from there.

Thanks for all the advice. I tried everything mentioned and still...no go. As the computer boots up everything is fine until 1/2 way thru the boot process, then I get the "blue screen of death" that says: "inaccessible Boot Device error 0x0000007B." I believe this to be a corrupt dll file. From what I am being told the only way to correct this is with a re-installation of Windows 2000. The cd rom is listed in the boot sequence in bios and I was able to move it to the top and get into dos, but beyond that I am stumped. I was able to use a Windows 98 disk to trouble shoot and scan disk/check disk show no errors. I may just take it to the computer shop I bought it from 3 years ago and let them have a shot at it. The other option is to use it as planter box for flowers now that warmer weather has arrived.

Did you try the stone tablets :rasberry: (blame tartan terror not me)

silverdeer0454, Your in luck, I have the windows 2000 install disk, Windows ME and a couple of 3.5 floppies with the CD drivers for some motherboards to activate the CD. Once that is done then you can install from the CD.

Let me know what you want and I can copy. I do not have a floppy drive any longer so will just have to send the floppies I have.

Wayde :thumbsup:

Wade, That is awesome>> If you send them to me I'll send them back as soon as I am done with them. I'll send my mailing address in a email to you.

silverdeer0454, Your in luck, I have the windows 2000 install disk, Windows ME and a couple of 3.5 floppies with the CD drivers for some motherboards to activate the CD. Once that is done then you can install from the CD.

Let me know what you want and I can copy. I do not have a floppy drive any longer so will just have to send the floppies I have.

Wayde :thumbsup: