IGNORED

HJC FS-15 Carbon Fiber Helmet

Midrsv

I've use HJC CL-33 helmets for years and always wanted a full face helmet but could never get one to work with my fat head. I've tried on every brand, style and price full face helmet and they all pinched my head and pushed my cheeks up to my eyes.

I was in a local accessory shop today and stumbled across a full face HJC FS-15 Carbon Fiber Helmet. The helmet is both DOT and SNELL rated. I was intrigued by the carbon fiber and it looked really nice. After admiring it for a few minutes I noticed that it was my size as I started to put it down and thought what the heck, I'll try it on. Was I ever surprised. The helmet fit like a glove and one of the most comfortable helmet I've ever tried. My head wasn't distorted at all once inside. After studying it more I was unsure if I could get a headset installed in it or not. I left the store to do some research on headset installation and after talking to the folks at Sierra Electronics I was convinced it could be done.

So, I just ordered two of them (Valerie's needs to match) from this site: http://www.2wt.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0118

They are on closeout and in short supply. Reg retail $449 and they're being closed out at about $235 with shipping. If you ride a blue '07 they have a blue that looks like it would be a perfect match to the bike. And I was told by one store that HJC makes the same helmet branded as Joe Rocket and it can be bought for about $179.

I know it is a bit late to ask, but does anyone have any experience with this helmet.

Dennis

DANG DANG DANG!!!!!

I didn't even finish reading all your post before I jumped to the link to order one. The site showed them up to XXL. When I went to select the size it only went to XL.

DANG!

I bought a HJC 1/2 helmet, Trooper style, two years ago and l love the thing to death. Most comfortable and best fitting helmet I have ever owned. Been looking at replacing my full face, a Vetter, (guess my age) and this would have been just the ticket.

Dang my swollen, over sized skull!

Oh well.......thanks for the post.

And here is a review on the helmet.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/fs-15/

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

I have one, and like it very much. Lightweight, comfortable, and the red comes very close to matching Black Cherry. Being carbon fiber, which part matches and which contrasts slightly depends on the angle of the sun. Move, and the colors shift.

I have gotten two replacement face shields, one dark, and one with a progressive shade that's dark at the top and clear at the bottom. I usually use the dark.

The only problem I've found is that being full faced it sometimes steams up a bit inside. I'd like the face shield to have one more position, about a quarter of an inch open. I've found that on the progressive shade shield I can use the lock button to keep it open slightly. That doesn't work as well on the dark one.

I didn't have any trouble installing J&M headsets in it, though I did get a new set (full face type) to replace my aging 3/4 one. I had a little trouble with the cord, but J&M was willing to cover it under warranty (I damaged it some flexing it while trying to get it to quit cutting out and was concerned about the wording of the warranty). I've had no problems with the replacement.

All in all, I've very happy with mine.

DANG DANG DANG!!!!!

I didn't even finish reading all your post before I jumped to the link to order one. The site showed them up to XXL. When I went to select the size it only went to XL.

DANG!

Mike, When I ordered mine they only had 2 XXL's. If you do a web search for the helmet you should find some other retailers with it and you may find your size. I know that Derby Cycles in Lexington had a black XXL yesterday and they priced it at $240. They are a new store and I had trouble finding a number for them but this one may work, 859-523-3729.

Dennis

DANG DANG DANG!!!!!

DANG!

Mike, you might also look at this Joe Rocket helmet. http://www.2wt.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0028

The folks at Helmet City told me that it is the same helmet and made by HJC.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Yeah, when I saw your post it reminded me that I needed to do something about my full face. Bought it when I bought my GL1100. Yep, couple of years back. I don't use it much but carry in when the weather is going to turn really, really wet.

I have 4 helmets but the HJC fits so well I wear it all the time.

But your post got me looking last night and I found one in my size.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/HJC_FS15_Helmet_Solid_Black--637188.html

So that is taken care of.

Thanks again for the post.

Mike

But your post got me looking last night and I found one in my size.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/HJC_FS15_Helmet_Solid_Black--637188.html

So that is taken care of.

Thanks again for the post.

Mike

Mike, I'm not sure that one is the carbon fiber model. The description says carbon fiber but the photo doesn't show it and the price isn't the same as the carbon fiber elsewhere on the site. The black carbon helmet should be more of a charcoal grey and show the weave pattern similar to this one.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/HJC_FS15_helmet_Carbon_Red--642323.html

According to the HJC site the FS-15 non-carbon is a fiberglass composite shell.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/

Dennis

Not that huge a deal on the carbon fiber. Be nice to have but I'm going to be happy to get a helmet that fits like my half helmet. (fingers crossed)

The HJC's seem to fit my noggin real well, when I find one that fits. XXL. Most the outfits around here don't stock the big buckets and want the money up front and I'd have to pay for shipping an restocking fees if I don't like it. That's not going to happen. In other brands I always have a tight spot that drives me nuts. That leaves the bucket on the shelf most the time.

I'm one of those guys that has one of those heads that don't fit the "One size fits all" catagories. LOL! The last time the guy at the bike shop measured my head all I heard behind me was "Good Lord!" Yep. No argument there!

As the full face is a foul weather helmet for me it won't be the 1st pick for daily rides. I can get by with that.

But thanks for you input.

Mike