IGNORED

Trailer question

Monty

We don't have to register our trailers here in Tennessee. I heard someone say last week, that my trailer has to be registered, because some states require it. Is this true? I will be pulling my trailer to Ohio next month for MD, and don't want any issues.

never ran into that type of issue but if you have a bill of sale or something showing ownership in your state, you should be ok. I would guess that most leo's are aware of different states registration methods. If not, they always have their radio to verify

btw - hope to see you at MD

The laws of the state for the tow vehicle apply.

In WI only trailers with a GVW of over 3000 lbs must be registered, In IL all trailers must be registered. A WI vehical should have no problem pulling a small trailer through IL. You SHOULD not get stopped for it, BUT if the LEO is following behind you and most likely will not be able to see the tow vehicle plates to determine what state you are from, you may still get pulled over and have to explain/discuss things to him.

In WI it is $12 to register a small trailer, Some people that I know do register their small trailers just for the peace of mind while traveling.

You will spend more than that in tolls driving through.

I have transplanted here in Chattanooga, TN till my daughter graduates college. I understand that you are required, in the state of TN, to get a tag for your trailer although no one here enforces it. If you travel other states may look to see if you are in compliance with your state requirements. They may enforce it.

That is what happened to a friend of mine. He, being from TN, was involved in an accident with his trailer in Florida. Although the accident was not his fault he was issued a ticket since his TN trailer had no tag. The ticket issuing officer had called the state of TN to verify the requirement. My friend called a cop friend of his from TN comfirming the requirement as well. He had to pay the ticket.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the replies. I just called my County Court Clerk's office, and he stated that Tennessee law says that you don't have to register the trailer IF it is being towed by a vehicle with a Tennessee tag. He said I probably wouldn't have an issue in other states, but if I wanted to bring him a notarized bill of sale, then he could register it for me if I wanted.

These are from the Tennessee Dept. of Safety website...

© There shall be no tax on trailers owned by farmers and used for agricultural purposes or hauling livestock between farm and market, or for trailers used for the transportation of boats, or any other trailer drawn by an automobile or truck, except house trailers and rented trailers as herein defined. This section shall not apply to any trailer used in the furtherance of a business, any personal trailer that is not required to be registered but which the owner desires to be registered nor to truck trailers registered under § 55-4-113

1. Does the State of Tennessee title and register boat trailers?
    No. Trailers used for the transportation of boats are exempt from both title and registration. You must, however, contact the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Division at (615) 781-6522, relative to the registration of your boat.

• 2 years later...

Monty,

Food for thought here sir...

By registering you trailer...... you would have positive proof and solid identification that the trailer does in fact belong to YOU... in the case it ever got solen God for bid..

I mean for what little it costs to get it registered it may be well worth the investment and time to get it registered..

Also, you would be worry free of legal issues no matter what state you are pulling it through...

So there you have it...just my 2 cents worth...

FYI.. mine is registered with plate, and insured...

Here in SC you do not have to register your trailer if you are not towing out of state but if you do not register it you are supposed to pay property tax on it. I went to the DMV and got a permanent tag since I will most definitely will be towing it out of state and I have a tittle with my name on it.

If they run a title search on the the vin for the trailer and it is titled in a state that does not require plates and the bike pulling it is from the same state you should be ok. If I go into Cheese land and pull a trailer with no plates, I could be looking at a citation, being from the Land of Lincoln, the state of extra regulation and taxes. . .

I would always suggest checking for official literature from your state's DMV regarding registration and follow it. I do know in some states trailers under 3000# must be titled but do not require registration, follow the book and keep a copy on hand. Sometimes it's worth paying to register a trailer in an optional state to avoid hassles down the road.