IGNORED

my latest save $$ project

Well I've been out in the shop again. We're getting ready for our trip to Alaska and decided we needed a little more storage room on the bike. I made a receiver hitch and luggage rack and bolted on a 15 gallon Rubbermaid lockable plastic box. A couple of LED trailer lights completed the project. Not too pretty but functional.

Edited by Gary N.

nice job, it looks good. :thumbsup2:

needs some chrome on the sides of the box, lol.:stirthepot:

i made a similar type of hitch and have a low profile cooler mounted. now i definetly have wine in the back end, now she wants me to figure out how to pump it up for refills.:think:

the extra space will come in handy for your trip, new shoes, purses, tops etc.:whistling:

cheers, Scott:beer:

Looks great Gary, I was thinking the same for mine. Could you give us a shot showing us the bottom of the rack? I have some ideas but I like to see what others have done also.

Thanks,

Dan

Gary a word of caution.

I bought a rack for extra stuff and the guy told me to keep the weight at 40lbs or less.

I found out in the first curve why, front end started to float, once out of that curve, re-arranged some items. When I got back home, weighed what I put on initially, only 50lbs, after the re-arrangement, 35lbs.

So be careful with the weight on the rack, not like a pulling a trailer. :)

Gary a word of caution.

I bought a rack for extra stuff and the guy told me to keep the weight at 40lbs or less.

I found out in the first curve why, front end started to float, once out of that curve, re-arranged some items. When I got back home, weighed what I put on initially, only 50lbs, after the re-arrangement, 35lbs.

So be careful with the weight on the rack, not like a pulling a trailer. :)

Thanks George, I'll keep that it mind. Haven't tried it out yet but will soon. Have you installed levelling links? I wonder if that would make a difference? I run my back shock at the max which does raise the back of the bike a bit too. And I've been rebuilding the counter weight for the front seat.... :doh:

Looks great Gary, I was thinking the same for mine. Could you give us a shot showing us the bottom of the rack? I have some ideas but I like to see what others have done also.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

To make it as light as possible all I did was make the 1 1/4" tube receiver longer and weld two pieces of 1" tubing onto it to bolt the box too.

Edited by Gary N.

Thanks George, I'll keep that it mind. Haven't tried it out yet but will soon. Have you installed levelling links? I wonder if that would make a difference? I run my back shock at the max which does raise the back of the bike a bit too. And I've been rebuilding the counter weight for the front seat.... :doh:

No leveling links and I do run shock at 45 lbs. And I am with you on the counter weight :crying::crying: