IGNORED

motor hesitates after tire change

Guest ktucker

Guest ktucker

I have an 84 Venture and removed both wheels to have new tires put on. I got the instructions on this website and they were great. When I removed the right muffler, a small piece of baffle came out of the exhaust pipe. It looked like a bent piece of kitchen sink drain. I did not put it back in. After reassembilng my bike I test rode it and things were fine. The next day I filled it up with gas and road 250 miles. About 3 miles out the motor began to hesitate when I increased the throttle at low rpms.

I reinstalled the little piece of baffle and it ran the same. I took off the other muffler and their was no piece of baffle. Needless to say I am baffled. Why is it running poorly?

Edited by ktucker
spelling

Guest scarylarry

My first guess would be bad gas, you said that it did and then you fill up and 3 mile into the ride it started....

My try some fuel additive of some kind...

My first guess would be bad gas, you said that it did and then you fill up and 3 mile into the ride it started....

My try some fuel additive of some kind...

Drain your gas tank and try some new fuel from another gas station. (Drain from the Res. position) This time try only using about a gallon. If it still runs the same after a few miles at least you've eliminated one condition and you have another problem. :think:

When I removed the right muffler, a small piece of baffle came out of the exhaust pipe.

I reinstalled the little piece of baffle and it ran the same. I took off the other muffler and their was no piece of baffle.

Where did you reinstall this piece of baffle?

Is it a piece of about 1/8" thick material with a bunch of small holes in it?

If it is, it probably came out off collector or one of the internal baffles more rearward on the muffler.

I don't know of a specific piece like what you describe in the exhaust.

But at any case I don't think it is related to performance issue.

Gary

Guest ktucker

I thought it was bad gas at first too. How do you drain the tank? I put the small piece of baffle in the pipe. I kind of wedged in in there and then reinstalled the muffler. I agree, I don't hink it is the baffle.

Thanks for youe advice.

Guest scarylarry

I would drain it from the valve, turn it off and disconnect it from the lower side attach a fuel line the same size, can't remember the size I think it is 3/8 then drain in a fuel can also u will be able to see if or what is in it..

Guest scarylarry

Could be bad air in the tires, I had that happen to me once also made it run backwards like a broken wing.....

I think you can use the winter air but you have to switch it from front to back.

Sounds like you guy's down south use hot air? Most people that have bikes in Canada use racing air. Now that's the correct choice!

Although, we could sell you some.

:rasberry:

Sounds like you guy's down south use hot air? Most people that have bikes in Canada use racing air. Now that's the correct choice!

Although, we could sell you some.

:rasberry:

Shoot u'all it taint no HOT air weins usein its strait fromin that there copper pipe there. Uins put that there good air in them there ters and uins never feelin another bump again. :missingtooth: