IGNORED

Any Problems With Harbor Freight Trailers?

OB-1

I had one of their 4x8 trailers with 12" tires and pulled it up to 75mph on a regular basis loaded down 100 pounds over max weight but I greased the bearings regularly and made sure the tires were'nt over heating.

I would throw some 12" tires on there and call it good, it's cheap chinese stuff for certain but as long as you keep an eye on the bearings it'll be good.

They sell the larger tires already mounted on rims for fairly cheap in store.

I'm considering buying this Harbor Freight trailer: http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html

Harbor freight says this trailer is only rated for 55mph. The clerk at the store made a point of telling me this limitation. Has anyone had any problems pulling this trailer?

:Venture:

I think all of the smaller tires say that. I pulled a similar one from Texas to Kansas and back no problem.

I thinks that is a CYA thing for Harbor Freight. I pull my trailer at 80 mph all the time with 8 inch wheels. I installed some greaseable bearing cups so I can shoot some grease in every once in a while.

Coming from a towing backgroung, the tires are the same size we use on our "pop-up dollies", for disabled cars. And they are also only rated at 55 m.p.h.. However, we area carrying a considerable amount more weight on them. So, if possible, go with bigger tires. I am pretty certain that is where the speed rating comes from, at least from my understanding.

People have went skydiving and lived after the chute fails. Doesn't mean I am jumping outta one and hoping for the best. Hope I'm not the one behind you when you start singing the old kenny rogers greatest hit, "why did you leave me loose wheel"

I have the 12" wheels and their rated for 55mph but have ran 80mph with no problem at all and this past weekend I pulled them of the H/F and put them on a boat trailer and pull a 16' with a 40 hp motor about 200 miles. As said it's a CYA for the company.

I'm considering buying this Harbor Freight trailer: http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html

Harbor freight says this trailer is only rated for 55mph. The clerk at the store made a point of telling me this limitation. Has anyone had any problems pulling this trailer?

:Venture:

Yo OB-1

When I stopped in to see you out in Sundance 2 years a go I was pulling my home made tear drop trailer on a HF 4X4 frame. I haven't had a problem with in three years and I have checked the bearing and wheels after driving 80 MPH.

I also have 12" wheels and I think that helps.

It's all good. :dancefool:

Bubber

aka Steve

Bigger is better in this instance, 12" wheels will spin less for the same amount of speed than the 8" I have towed my homemade trailer with 8" wheels for over 20K before I sold it to Marcarl and I never had issues with it. I pulled it @ 80 mph regularly. I put bearing buddies in it so I could shoot grease in them before a long trip....the weight rating on the 8" tires should be way overkill for how much weight you'll actually haul in that thing. Buy the trailer and use it, you'll be fine

:)

Not trying to hijack this thread or anything, I'd just like to know if this model has a good seal against foul weather? Has anyone had any problems of the contents getting wet when riding in the rain????Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

If you are referring to the contents in the car topper, I wouldn't think you would have any issues. After all if they did get wet, not as many people wouldn't buy them. If it does leak I would think all you would have to get is some of that foam tape they use for truck bed caps and attach it to either the top or bottom lid where they meet.

I can vouche for the sears car topper that I have. Took family trip last year attached to the top of our van. Drove through a few rain storms and everything stayed dry.

X-Cargo Sport 20

Will the HF trailer accept 12" tires stock? Or does it need fender changes to accommodate the larger wheels?

I assume the larger tires also make the drawbar slope down more, which I gather is desirable in case loads shift?

Dave

Will the HF trailer accept 12" tires stock? Or does it need fender changes to accommodate the larger wheels?

I assume the larger tires also make the drawbar slope down more, which I gather is desirable in case loads shift?

Dave

Dave,

You would have to change fenders, HF sells the premade trailers with only 8" wheels. It wouldn't be a big deal to swap it over, you just have to buy wheels and fenders. If you want to make a trailer let me know and we can whip one up for you, I have built half a dozen of them or so.

Dave,

You would have to change fenders, HF sells the premade trailers with only 8" wheels. It wouldn't be a big deal to swap it over, you just have to buy wheels and fenders. If you want to make a trailer let me know and we can whip one up for you, I have built half a dozen of them or so.

Wish I had thought to ask. I'd followed eBay and Craigslist with no joy, so Tuesday I ordered an HF. :-( I know there's upgrades I'll want, but I can budget them in.

Dave

Dave

Since it's already bought you could do the larger tires and bring it to someone and add a small gooseneck to level it back out, it'd really only raise the rear two inches though, probably would'nt be too terribly bad.

Reason for larger tires imo is the bearings, those chinese spindles and bearings would be my biggest concern, not the tires themselves...I don't remember mine having any sort of seals on the hubs either.

Wish I had thought to ask. I'd followed eBay and Craigslist with no joy, so Tuesday I ordered an HF. :-( I know there's upgrades I'll want, but I can budget them in.

Dave

Dave,

When you get it just let us know and we can make it bulletproof. We'll take the hubs apart and pack them with GOOD grease, thats the biggest key in all this talk of smaller wheels. Just holler and we'll make it happen...just like your rear tire before Big Bend :yikes:

I have the smallest and cheapest HF trailer with 8" wheels, and I have zero problems pulling it loaded or empty at any speeds up to about 85 (don't think I have had it faster).

Some people have stated that all these small car trailers need a longer hitch to pull steady, but I do not find that to be true. I will provide one caution, however, make CERTAIN the frame is square when you put it together. There is enough slop in the bolt holes to allow it to be tweaked off-square either way when you tighten it all down, and that will absolutely affect how it pulls. The same caution applies to making certain the axle is square on the frame. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Dave,

When you get it just let us know and we can make it bulletproof. We'll take the hubs apart and pack them with GOOD grease, thats the biggest key in all this talk of smaller wheels. Just holler and we'll make it happen...just like your rear tire before Big Bend :yikes:

Only this time, I come to you. No need to repeat the tire bronc busting! :rotfl:

I have the smallest and cheapest HF trailer with 8" wheels, and I have zero problems pulling it loaded or empty at any speeds up to about 85 (don't think I have had it faster).

Some people have stated that all these small car trailers need a longer hitch to pull steady, but I do not find that to be true. I will provide one caution, however, make CERTAIN the frame is square when you put it together. There is enough slop in the bolt holes to allow it to be tweaked off-square either way when you tighten it all down, and that will absolutely affect how it pulls. The same caution applies to making certain the axle is square on the frame. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Any tips on making sure it is square? I have a framing square, and I hope that's good enough.

Dave

Only this time, I come to you. No need to repeat the tire bronc busting! :rotfl:

Any tips on making sure it is square? I have a framing square, and I hope that's good enough.

Dave

I was just looking at that thread here yesterday, what a great time that was. We'll square it up by measuring corner to corner, just get her to Kreg's or my house and we'll make it pull like a dream

:thumbsup2:

I was just looking at that thread here yesterday, what a great time that was. We'll square it up by measuring corner to corner, just get her to Kreg's or my house and we'll make it pull like a dream

:thumbsup2:

if he got the 66771 like mine it comes pre welded and painted :thumbsup2: