IGNORED

2005 RSTD HID Light Installation

Just finished installing a HID headlight in my 05 RSTD from Canadian Cruiser Customizing. Have to say this was one of the easiest changes to do. Everything was plug and play and went together very easy. The hardest part is running the positive back to the battery. I zip tied my ballast to the back of the bracket that the headlight mounts too. Looks like you could also install it on the backside of the mount for windshield, but I didn't feel like taking everything back apart.

Haven't had it out at night to tell the difference, but the installation was simple.

Just finished installing a HID headlight in my 05 RSTD from Canadian Cruiser Customizing. Have to say this was one of the easiest changes to do. Everything was plug and play and went together very easy. The hardest part is running the positive back to the battery. I zip tied my ballast to the back of the bracket that the headlight mounts too. Looks like you could also install it on the backside of the mount for windshield, but I didn't feel like taking everything back apart.

Haven't had it out at night to tell the difference, but the installation was simple.

Thank you so much for the post. There's not enough length to get the ballast inside our "fairing"? Is there room in the headlight bucket? I have a pair of large amperage wires pre-run under my tank... can I use that or must I use the wire supplied? Although, I will maybe put a switch on my handlebars for it, and taking the tank off is not an issue at all.

I am a bit perplexed at the very visible red wires. I've worked hard to maintain the blackness of my midnight bike. That red will stick out like a sore, bleeding thumb. Gives me something to think about.

Thank you!

Dave

There may be room in the bucket, but I doubt it. The wires aren't long enough to hide in the lowers, but like I said you could probable put it on the back side of the handlebar mount and have it all hidden that way. The exposed wires don't bother me, I like having easy access if I need it. You should be able to use some existing power wires. The kit comes with a 10a fuse in line, so you are protected that way. It also has a connector that you plug into the stock headlight bulb, it uses this for the relay activation and for the high beam activation. Pretty nice. All you have to add is the ground and hot.

• 1 month later...

Can you give an update on how you like it? How is it at night?

Do you have it on a separate switch, or is it turning on with the ignition? I've delayed because I want to add the Kury clutch cover-switch block, and would switch the light there to save the battery during start. But if there isn't an issue, maybe I'll just go ahead and buy it now.

Dave

Dave,

I can tell you that the HID is night and day difference on any bike it's put on. I did Boomers when he was here for our open house and I was amazed at the light it threw out when it was dark. I saw better with his 1 headlight than I did with Kbrans 3....just pull the trigger and I'll help you install it :thumbsup2:

Dave,

I can tell you that the HID is night and day difference on any bike it's put on. I did Boomers when he was here for our open house and I was amazed at the light it threw out when it was dark. I saw better with his 1 headlight than I did with Kbrans 3....just pull the trigger and I'll help you install it :thumbsup2:

I was there when Boomer rode up the street and blinded us from three blocks away. Then, you hopped on and outshone the sun. It's BRIGHT! Do you think I need to worry about putting on a switch to save my battery?

Dave

Do you think I need to worry about putting on a switch to save my battery?

Dave

Not at all, it plugs into the headlight harness and acts just like the regular headlight. I dont think I have heard anyone installing a switch on it

:confused24:....so when are you ordering it :whistling:

Not at all, it plugs into the headlight harness and acts just like the regular headlight. I dont think I have heard anyone installing a switch on it

:confused24:....so when are you ordering it :whistling:

I think Buddy Rich said he added one, because of the voltage drop when the starter turns over affecting the ballast. So he gets the bike running, then turns on the light.

I guess I'll order it today, so that it's not the slow link. I think we all know who the slow link is. :whistling:

Dave

I think Buddy Rich said he added one, because of the voltage drop when the starter turns over affecting the ballast. So he gets the bike running, then turns on the light.

I guess I'll order it today, so that it's not the slow link. I think we all know who the slow link is. :whistling:

Dave

Its very bright and I like it. I have no issues with it starting right up and the light is on the entire time I start it. You plug the harness the new light comes with into the existing stock harness and it acts like the switch for the included relay. You do have to run a new power and ground wire. The kit I bought was very nice, easy to install and best of all plug and play. I am not disappointed and would definately recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

As a data point, I ordered my set on 6/8 and it arrived at the office on 6/17. 9 days or so, almost all of which was tied up in Customs apparently.

Of course, it came to the office on a Saturday on a weekend when I had nothing to do, and I got it on a Monday. Ahhh, the wasted time I could have spent having fun. :'-(

Dave

I bought thishttp://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit for my Vulcan for $40.00!

The 800A is notorious for no headlamp. This thing is super bright! I bought the 35w 6000k unit. The wires on it are black. Install is just as described in first post, hard part was running the main 12v wire. Everything else is plug and play. I do get a little high freq noise in my Sirius unit now, sounds just like the pitch of noise you hear in a neon fixture. But not loud enough to attenuate.

They are as bad as Amazon for slow shipping but the light will please you. Not that the wiring is a problem on the RSTD but this kit also bypasses loading the main wiring harness, it only draws about 1 amp via the headlamp wire.

• 1 month later...

As another data point, yesterday my HID died. I suspect the ballast.

Installed 6/27/2010

Died 8/21/2010

Approximately 5000 miles

I'm going back to the SilverStar Ultra. It has lasted about 35,000 miles so far, and is plenty bright.

Dave

Edited by Dave77459
Forgot to subtract the mere 5000 miles the HID lasted

• 1 year later...

Still running the HID? Of course the batwing hides it all now...happy with the light output, night riding etc?

• 3 weeks later...

So install was piece of cake, everything fits well into headlight shell. I had the driving lights (kuraykn/Trucklite) wired to the low beam side but now they are on all the time which makes for REALLY bright high beams...not sure why this is happening but I did plug in the small two pin plug which the instructions said not required...unsure of this will have any effect. The lights I got were on sale but are 55w instead of 35w, don't think I saved any alternator output although the LEDs are a big reduction over normal driving lights