IGNORED

'83 stearing head bearing

barend

I'm replacing the steering head bearing on my '83. The manual says 5.1 ft/lbs. Where have you adjusted yours to with the hack attached? I've been told that you can tighten it down more to prevent wobble with the hack.

Thanks

Well, i don't have any Knowledge about running a Hack, but i wouldn't suggest much more clamping Force on the Bearing. A bit more may be ok, but much more will ruin the new Bearings premature and create Problems when trying to run a straight Line.

I'd stay within the upper End of the Specs.

Lift the front Wheel off the Ground and place the Steering into middle Positon. The Front End should fall to either Side with a little Push, but not rebounce from the Stop. If the Fork won't reach the Stop on both Sides on it's too tight, if it rebounces once or twice it's too loose.

Well, i don't have any Knowledge about running a Hack, but i wouldn't suggest much more clamping Force on the Bearing. A bit more may be ok, but much more will ruin the new Bearings premature and create Problems when trying to run a straight Line.

I'd stay within the upper End of the Specs.

Lift the front Wheel off the Ground and place the Steering into middle Positon. The Front End should fall to either Side with a little Push, but not rebounce from the Stop. If the Fork won't reach the Stop on both Sides on it's too tight, if it rebounces once or twice it's too loose.

Agreed. Go over and you risk bearing damage.

No more clicking, no more clacking. no more wobble:cool10: Thanks to all who assisted in resolving this problem. Might be torqued a little harder then suggested but that's OK. I am happy!:sun::sun: