IGNORED

Headlight problem... Please help...

Please help! On the way down to Panama City yesterday my low beam went out along with the driving lights. I still have the high beam, and the headlight fuse is OK. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions before I search for the dealer here?

Also, if the bulb simply needs changed, how do I do that? The owner's manual and the service manual are not much help...

I have seen some on here say the wires are getting pinched in the steering head when you turn the handle bars all the way, (one way or the other). May want to check that too. :2cents:

Not sure how your driving lights are wired in but would think you should not have lost both at same time. Unless head light bulb burnt out and wire to driving lights went bad/ pinched at same time? Hows that for coincidents? :yikes:

Good luck,

Bryan

Please help! On the way down to Panama City yesterday my low beam went out along with the driving lights. I still have the high beam, and the headlight fuse is OK. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions before I search for the dealer here?

Also, if the bulb simply needs changed, how do I do that? The owner's manual and the service manual are not much help...

Question; :think: before this failure, were the passing lights only on when the headlight was on low beam?

If so I'm thinking dimmer switch failure. :bawling:

Thank you all for the help! WIth the great info I was able to change the headlight bulb without removing the fairing, in less than five minutes. Pulling the knob off of the headlight adjuster was the key. But... that did not help. OK, here was the problem. Way back when the dealership in south FL installed the drivinging lights they used the scotchlock connectors to tap into the lowbeam circuit. The connector cuts into the existing wiring to make the connection. Due to stress or etcetera the wire broke at this point! This killed the feed to teh low beam AND the driving lights. I would also like to thank the Panama City Yamaha dealership for working us in, finding this issue, and soldering the wires together to get us back in the game. And, at a reasonable price. This dealershiop gets a huge "Thumbs Up" from us for their service, results, and understanding. For all of you with driving lights please be on the lookout... or you'll be in the dark like us.

Thank you all for the help! WIth the great info I was able to change the headlight bulb without removing the fairing, in less than five minutes. Pulling the knob off of the headlight adjuster was the key. But... that did not help. OK, here was the problem. Way back when the dealership in south FL installed the drivinging lights they used the scotchlock connectors to tap into the lowbeam circuit. The connector cuts into the existing wiring to make the connection. Due to stress or etcetera the wire broke at this point! This killed the feed to teh low beam AND the driving lights. I would also like to thank the Panama City Yamaha dealership for working us in, finding this issue, and soldering the wires together to get us back in the game. And, at a reasonable price. This dealershiop gets a huge "Thumbs Up" from us for their service, results, and understanding. For all of you with driving lights please be on the lookout... or you'll be in the dark like us.

THAT is the way my RSV was wired when I got it and WHY I undid that and put the passing lights on a relay...

I would also like to thank the Panama City Yamaha dealership for working us in, finding this issue, and soldering the wires together to get us back in the game. And, at a reasonable price. This dealershiop gets a huge "Thumbs Up" from us for their service, results, and understanding.

Good to see the mystery solved, a happy ending, and you're back on your way. Travel safe.

Way back when the dealership in south FL installed the drivinging lights they used the scotchlock connectors to tap into the lowbeam circuit. The connector cuts into the existing wiring to make the connection.

Scotchlock and crimp connectors are for amateurs.

Solder any electrical connection or it will bite you in the butt at the most inappropriate time.

Gary

• 8 years later...

The OEM directions for the passing lights had the installer, do exactly that. I prefer to call them guillotine connectors. Because thats exactly what they do eventually do, cut the wires. If you absolutely have to tie in that way, I recommend posi locks, they do not cut thru the wire and they also leave a much cleaner and sealed connection.

+1 on Positaps (Posilocks).

Get the wiring for the running lights through a relay or you WILL have trouble with the ignition switch.

The power for the bike runs through contacts at the base of the ignition switch. If you run additional power feeds through these small contacts, they will eventually fail.

RR