IGNORED

Fuel guage question

ok ..... I've read through a few threads and would like to ask a simple question as to how my 2002 midnight ventures gauge works. At about 175 miles odometer switches to F and starts to count up. Is that when I should switch to reserve ?? also some say to just run it set on reserve all the time ?? So my first question is how is it suppose to work and what works best for my friends riding these bikes ??

Dale

ps. I haven't run out of gas yet, but have had it in sputter mode a few times.

ok ..... I've read through a few threads and would like to ask a simple question as to how my 2002 midnight ventures gauge works. At about 175 miles odometer switches to F and starts to count up. Is that when I should switch to reserve ?? also some say to just run it set on reserve all the time ?? So my first question is how is it suppose to work and what works best for my friends riding these bikes ??

Dale

I normally run my bike with the fuel petcock on reserve. this is to constantly remove the junk in the bottom of the tank.

when the fuel gauge switches to F with the countdown, this is when I rotate the petcock to normal, so when I am down to the last gallon or so, the bike reminds me by running rough/lean......... then I switch back to reserve and REALLY start looking for a fuel station.

OH I also rotate the petcock to OFF every time I park it.....

Dale

I run on reserve all the time but some, who don't, will run until is starts sputtering and then flip it to reserve. Then,depending on speed and MPG, you have roughly 20 or so miles to get gas. Personally, I try not to let it run low enough to ever see the little F come up. :Bunny:

I usually start looking for a station around 130 miles or so.

If you're looking for more distance have you considered punching the holes in the filler neck so you're able to fill the tank closer to the top?

Here's a link that shows what I mean:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=302